House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Boom'n'Bust

Bird Flu, How Is It Affecting You?

I would like to know how this situation is affecting everyone. I want to know how it affects those thinking or looking to buy a property, especially if later it turns out to be in a bird flu area.

I would like to know how this situation is affecting everyone. I want to know how it affects those thinking or looking to buy a property, especially if later it turns out to be in a bird flu area.

Why would it? Its not as if Bird Flu Road is going to be right next to No Flu Road (not to be confised with No Through Road) :P

Until birds can get mortgages I can't see it having any effect on the market.

Although if I was buying a free range chicken farm I might hold back a bit...

not a problem.... however i do live by a canal full of swans near the swan theater in a city that has hundreds of swans, which main sybol is a swan... and swans do seem to get bird flu more than other birds.

Edited by moosetea

Thing is Vicster, if you dig a little deeper, what you actually find is that very, very, very, few wild birds have got it. In fact, no live wild birds that have been tested have been found to carry it.

The birds that are dying in large numbers are actually in intensive units.

Common sense seems to indicate that in actual fact what is happening is that the flu is spreading like wild fire in intensive units, where the birds are kept in completely unnatural conditions, and the odd wild bird, presumably sick to start with, is picking it up.

We haven't intensively farmed for that long really, probably about 30 years? Maybe we are been given a kick in the pants for it?

Apparently the way to protect them from it is to minimise stress and actually let them free-range. Thing is there are so many people out there with vested interests in intensive rearing, that the story seems to be being spun in a completely different direction.

For me the big worry is that, if people are being diverted from the true facts, and mother nature is sorting out the mess we have made, what will happen if we "increase" intensive farming? Will the poultry and its produce that we consume develop some other fatal consequences for us?

bird flu....hmm I think about it,

but currently unless it mutates into a human to human form its not gonna bother me, or stop me from travelling to china in 2 months.

Oh-oh.

It looks like it may have just crossed over--40 people suddenly get bird flu:

http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?catid=1...atte=2006-04-05

Bacu. Over 40 people were hospitalized in Azerbaijan with symptoms of bird flu, agency reports. Blood tests from the patients were sent to the lab in Great Britain in order to be discovered whether they were infected with the H5N1 virus. There are five victims of the bird flu who passed away in Azerbaijan so far.

Before this news only abnout 108 have died WORLDWIDE :o

Unless it wipes out so many people that there's a sudden surpluss of property, causing prices to plummet, it isn't worth thinking about. If it does wipe out masses of people then all I have to do is stay alive and wahey! Property ladder, world of uncongested roads, pick of the best jobs, etc. here I come!!

Oh-oh.

It looks like it may have just crossed over--40 people suddenly get bird flu:

http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?catid=1...atte=2006-04-05

Bacu. Over 40 people were hospitalized in Azerbaijan with symptoms of bird flu, agency reports. Blood tests from the patients were sent to the lab in Great Britain in order to be discovered whether they were infected with the H5N1 virus. There are five victims of the bird flu who passed away in Azerbaijan so far.

Before this news only abnout 108 have died WORLDWIDE :o

Hardly a pandemic - and unlikely to become one <_< . Agree with Ignorant Steve. Get a grip

Unless it wipes out so many people that there's a sudden surpluss of property, causing prices to plummet, it isn't worth thinking about. If it does wipe out masses of people then all I have to do is stay alive and wahey! Property ladder, world of uncongested roads, pick of the best jobs, etc. here I come!!

EDIT: Wiping out the human race would have much the same impact - you could declare yourself king of the world, and drive to the palace of your choice along empty roads. BTL might be a bit of a not starter, though. Although arguably the occupancy rate wouldn't be that different to a lot of the current crop of two-bed new build developments

Edited by Europa

If it has gone person to person we will need more than a grip.......

Dammit, man - mug of lemsip and you'll be fine in a couple of days :P

The only thing that bothers me about it is the way that everyone has gone on about that swan and no one has had the decency to name it.

Can't we have a moment to think of the swan, its alot more important in my books than alot of scum that could be potentially wiped out.

The only thing that bothers me about it is the way that everyone has gone on about that swan and no one has had the decency to name it.

Can't we have a moment to think of the swan, its alot more important in my books than alot of scum that could be potentially wiped out.

Wierd!

It's affected me deeply.

I've just rushed out and sold my house at 50% of its estimated value.

:huh:

That may prove to be a better deal than what you might get in 6 months time!

Seagulls and crows follow a farmer ploughing his field at Kingsbarns in Fife

06 Apr 2006

Source: Reuters

This from REUTERS!!!!!

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/pictures/CEL09D.htm

Can you hear the Hitchcock music in the background--Screech screech screech

The Kiwis are getting serious:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cf...jectID=10376449

By Ainsley Thomson

Police will be able to use force to detain people suspected of suffering from bird flu under legislation to prepare New Zealand for a future pandemic.
The Law Reform Epidemic Preparedness Bill, introduced to Parliament yesterday, adds pandemic influenza to the list of quarantinable diseases. At present, quarantine powers apply only to yellow fever, cholera and the plague.
Health Minister Pete Hodgson said there was no current pandemic threat to New Zealand, but the Government had to be prepared.
The 1918-19 Spanish flu infected 40 per cent of New Zealand's population
Edited by Realistbear

If any of you understood anything about epidemiology you would not be so dismissive

There will be another 'flu pandemic (bird or otherwise) which would have disastrous consequences on world trade not to mention killing many people (the last flu pandemic in Europe in 1919 killed more people than were killed in the First World War - most of the casualties were healthy young men)

It will definately happen - but no one knows when - lets hope its not soon - however it will rock people's confidence and definately start a world recession as trade and travel will be limited - so it may be just what you need to start the HPC

Personally I'd rather the HPC started in another way....

If there IS mass panic re bird flu, if it actually affects houseprices, that will be a good time to buy IMO.

Personally I absolutely hate these over-hyped doomsday scenarios (remember the Millenium Bug anyone?)

If there IS mass panic re bird flu, if it actually affects houseprices, that will be a good time to buy IMO.

Personally I absolutely hate these over-hyped doomsday scenarios (remember the Millenium Bug anyone?)

Yus--the millenium bug was hype--agree. Bird Flu has been here before and its back so the hype may be well founded.

In the meantime the government may clean up IF it strikes as there will be a lot of cash passing from one generation to another all of a sudden:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4883096.stm

Treasury under pressure on trusts

Children may inherit less money if the trust changes go through
The Treasury has come under pressure to drop plans announced in the Budget to change the taxation of trusts.
An alliance of professional bodies such as the Law Societies and the institutes of Chartered Accountants has called for the changes to be postponed.
Under the proposals, lifetime gifts made under trust - or trusts created for children when parents die - may have to pay more inheritance tax.

How many BILLIONS of birds are there?

How many BILLIONS of people are there?

A SWAN is dead in Scotland!!! This must account for 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the bird population (guestimate as this number is too large to calculate!)

What next - GNAT FLU?

Only a hand-ful of humans have died of this. These people generally lived in 3rd World conditions and their diets were probably quite poor. Their immune systems were probably VERY weak anyway.

STOP WORRYING ABOUT BIRD FLU!!! WHEN 1,000's of PEOPLE IN WESTERN COUNTRIES ARE DYING THEN WORRY.

1 Dead swan is meaningless. More people will probably die in the UK this year with a common cold than Birds with Bird flu imho.

TB

I work as a contractor for the NHS, and I can tell you, we have been warned. People are going to panic buy things again soon <_<

This is what I said yesterday in another thread.

"The news i hear is that from the Primary care trust is that:

a pandemic flu hits the world every 11 years roughly; we are 36 years overdue. So it is a question of WHEN not IF

this is because there is a gentic shift in the virus DNA, which means its completely new and we do not have any antibodies against it. This is different to genetic drift, where there are small changes enough so that we get the cold/flu like symtoms day to day, and get beter.

we dont know what this "new virus" (human-human) will be like, we dont know the mortality rate

however the mortality of the bird-human strain is something like 50-100% in poor countries. scary it is.

the spanish flu in 1800 killed if i recall 50 million worldwide. The last 2 pandemics (hong kong flu, and asian flu) only killed 1 million each. this is because of the availablilty of antibiotics, that deal with secondary infections might have helped

hopefully people will get the new flu - be off work 5-8 days and get better. If need be, they get antibiotics for secondary bacteria infections as the immune system is too busy dealing with the virus

what we are being told is to stock up on antibitotics and worse case scenairo prepare for upto 50% of workforce to become ill.

What the unknowns are is the mortality rate - however the last two pandemics have been favourable and not crippled the world

HOWEVER - many people maybe off work, so infrastructure may come to a holt - e.g. obtaining medicines, food, water etc may be more difficult

There is no vaccine because we dont know the structure of the new virus yet - it wont be available for months after the outbreak

We dont know WHEN its going to come maybe tommorow, 1 or 5 years time. But we are well overdue for a pandemic (and a HPC)

Tamiflu and similuar drugs - we dont know if it will work (but that might be a lie as the goverment is stockpiliing like no tommorow)

Masks dont provide 100% protection - BUT useful neitherless, to prevent hand to nasal mucosal transmission, and reduce inhalation of virus particles to a degree

There thats the lowdown"