House Price Crash Forum
wild rover

World Capital Partners: Las Vegas Development

World Capital Partners are promoting a scheme under which you can pay a 10% deposit with a guaranteed buy back when the development is complete in c18 months time. you have the option of either competing the purchase, or having the deposit refunded + any capital growth up to 80% of deposit value. see www.worldcapitalpartners.co.uk Their track record and credentials look impressive, but i would like to know if anyone has experience of WCP and this type of scheme.

i have spoken to the company, and it sounds too good to be true, i was told a 70% ROI after the build period.

if they deliver then i would be tempted, like you i need more info

i am looking to invest in 3 or 4 regions and not sure if the USA is a good option?

still looking and collecting info. have jsut paid for an apartment in bulgaria by 3 golf courses near Varna, this seems to be a good investment?

I have tried to get details of how exactly are their guarantees structured... this was about 5-6 months ago. They kept calling me a few times but not once were able to explain the details. Which shows how safe their guarantees are probably... The second reason I wouldnt touch it myself (not saying don't do it though) is the Vegas prices have been collapsing recently, and developers are having a hard time to sell stuff. No wonder after the city has seen 50% growth p.a. 2 years ago. Now the investors have left... and not many others to buy at too high prices.

i am looking to invest in 3 or 4 regions and not sure if the USA is a good option?

still looking and collecting info. have jsut paid for an apartment in bulgaria by 3 golf courses near Varna, this seems to be a good investment?

Buying in USA now is like catching a falling knife.

Varna is a dead area too.

Buying in USA now is like catching a falling knife.

Varna is a dead area too.

Note necessarily. The US is not one market, and many areas offer very high yields and very

little risk of falling prices. USA is not just Florida, Vegas, etc. Most UK buyers focus on holiday

lets in the US and never consider regular local residential areas. These (in many different states)

offer very good investment potential, and many US investors are making good money there.

Yields are higher than anywhere in Europe...

Hi

I have recently come across this Company. Have any of you decided to invest with them, and if so, in what development? If you decided against, what were your reasons for doing so? Even better, has anyone invested with them in the past and opted out?

I would love to hear your views!

Thanks.

They were in touch with me two or three months ago regarding a development in Vegas. Like prop77, I tried to get an explanation of how they could offer what they were offering. The sales person tried explaining. I asked plenty of questions to try understand how things worked for all parties. Despite my probing, the answers were confusing and what I could understand didn't convince me that guarantee was good. Ofcourse, its possible I've not been on the ball and failed to understand what was being offered. My view of where Vegas prices are going is negative, so even if I had understood the offering I would not have taken up this offer. If I could understand their offer / how they can make it then I might consider an investment elsewhere with them in the future. If the mechanics of how they can offer what they offer stacks up then it certainly sounds like an affordable way to create a greater spread in portfolios.

Forgot to tick the box so I get notified if anyone replies!

I have studied this deal and have been taken in by the info. I have been mulling it over for the past 5 months and have decided to take the plunge. What I understand is that they will not pay any return until December 2008. Then there is an option of getting your deposit back, plus the rise in value upto 70%. If there is no rise in value, you get your deposit back at least. In the meantime, they have had use of your money for nearly 18 months.

It all depends on the market at the time. I am not sure who does the valuations for these people, for they say they are done independently. How independent are these indedpendent valuations. No one knows for sure.

See notes 1 and 5 below.

When dealing with third party/middlemen/sales agents or direct with the Developer

It’s

Caveat Emptor

A few basic rules to remember when investing in property abroad:-

1. At least take the same level of care and caution when buying property in a foreign country as you would in the UK (i.e. employ a subject mater expert lawyer to advise/act on your behalf, as opposed to one recommended by a vested interest (VI), or rely on a commissioned sales person).

2. Take everything people with a VI’s (i.e. developer/sales agents or a lawyer recommended by them) say with a large pinch of salt and test their statements against factual/market reality, do your own due diligence (DD).

3. If the price/deal seems too good to be true it usually is. In fact focus on ‘value’ and the opportunity for it to increase, be added to and realised. Don’t fall into the common trap of comparing a property investment abroad with UK prices, as it is meaningless in assessing ‘value’.

4. Always take into account the cost of buying and selling when doing your DD. In places like Spain and the US these can be high and erode your profit or increase your loss. Also gain a detailed/realistic budget of the running costs of the property and taxes you will incur as an absentee owner. Investment properties abroad always cost more to own/run and generate lower income than budgeted for.

5. Never pay over your deposit unless you have a bona fide Bank Guarantee or it’s held in escrow. To pay the deposit into the developers/sales agents cash flow is to invite disaster, let other mugs do this and move on.

6. Take time to research what drives the market locally (both historically and currently) e.g. Take Florida as an example: Average annual property price rises in Florida historically being 3 to 4 % per annum and with 2004/05 being circa 15% and 27% respectively, and with interest rates being raised every month it was ‘buyer beware time’. Remember fundamentals need to underpin the market and locals/local economics can’t afford the prices wet back Brits seem willing to pay. There won’t always be a 'greater fool' to off load to.

7. Never believe that your property has gone up just because the developer is charging new buyers ‘fresh off the plane’ a higher price than you paid six months or so earlier. Resale’s abroad (especially where there’s overdevelopment and/or, a none existent/weak resale market), do not command ‘new property premiums’ and can take years to sell if incorrectly priced. Bulgaria is a classic example of where Brits have paid £50k for 2 bed apartments and think they’ve made £10k profit because the developer is selling the next phase at £60k, only to find they can’t even find a resale buyer at their original purchases price. Many also made the mistake of taking the developers advice to buy two units, one to keep and one to sell at a profit!!

8. Buying a property abroad is not a ‘passive’ investment; you’re starting a business the main asset of which in hundreds or in Florida’s/Caribbean’s case thousands of miles away.

Buyer beware!

Pablo Silver or Lead?

http://jobsearch.monsterscotland.co.uk/get...ort=rv&vw=d

they are hiring.

Sales ExecutiveUK-London-The City

Apply Online

OTE GBP 80,000+ per year

Need highly motivated, professional and well-spoken individuals

The Position:

Actively promote and sell all the services of the business to prospective clients over the phone.

Maintain client relationships and client contact database management system.

Merge with existing high performance team.

Contact name: Barry

Direct Dial: 0207 623 8529

Email address: info@worldcapitalpartners.co.uk

Fax: 0870 351 0111

The Company: World Capital Partners Ltd is a London based property development company and part of a fully integrated international property group.

so how are the people who put money into this a year ago?

http://www.hianswer.com/investing/1753-investing-3.html

Question:

Their website looks great and they are promising high returns on investments in Las Vegas. The staff at their London office are well spoken and very helpful. So why am I hesitating?

Answer:

Iv been to their offices in the Llyods Building. I sat through the presentation saying theyd give me my initial investment plus 70% upon completion of an apartment in Las Vegas - even if the rate of growth was 0%!!!. I took with me 12 articles discussing the downward slope of the US housing market, and various high profile investors pulling out of their investments in Vegas. He said 'i dunno bout that, but we'll give you a 70%!'.

http://community.channel4.com/eve/forums/a...47/m/6170085817

They were OK with me. I've had a couple of conversations with them over the last month or so. Their offering (for Las Vegas apartments) is certainly different from the norm. If I were looking to take the opportunity forward I'd be looking to:

1) Ensure valuations (both now and on completion) is by someone I appoint.

2) If at completion house price deflation is such that you don't want to proceed they say you will still get your stake back. How can they guarantee this? How solid do you think the guarantee is? I don't understand why they would give you your invetsment back. I appreciate their offering differs from standard off-plan investment, but I'd want to satisfy myself that money I've invetsed prior to completion isn't a gonner in this scenario.

Hopefully there will be others closer to the offering that can help.

I have invested with WCP.

I'm not sure people need to worry about how they can give such good guaranteed returns. All developers need funding to get projects off the ground. Many developers go down the pre-off plan route to get this and indeed I've invested in a couple of pre-off plan deals myself. You get substantial discounts investing at this stage (a recent one I did gave me 35% off phase one prices, which should equate to around 50% of final phase prices). Without this finance the project doesn't work. The downside is that you have to put down 100% (not just 20-30%) so you are not geared and that you are taking greater risk.

My understanding is that the WCP options are there way of getting this up front finance. The benefit they have is that they have also got end buyers at the same time. The downside to them is they only get 10% of the property value from each person so need to sell many more.

Very good deals are available in the market, but always remember that good deals are also accompanied by high risks and you must ask yourself if you are willing to take those risks.

Since I invested the Las Vegas market has taken a turn for the worse. Had prices continued to rise at say 10% per annum I'd have made a killing on this investment (well over 100% over a year and a half). They have fallen - estimates vary but generally seem to indicate 3-6%. This means I am unlikely to make anything and with exchange rates moving unfavourably will indeed have lost money. But thats the risk with all property investments. (WCP by the way assure me that these developments are different and haven't fallen in value and that I will see my 80% return. I'd love that to be the case, but realistically I doubt that its true).

While there is uncertainty in the US property market I'd advise anyone to avoid investing there. I certainly wouldn't now and in retrospect wouldn't have bought a WCP option. Having said that, as soon as the market recovers (estimates are that this will be within the next year or so) then these property options are an excellent investment, assuming you are aware that you are ultimately taking a risk that WCP could go bankrupt/fail and you could lose all your investment. With all investments there is a risk. Where you get very high returns like here, you are taking much higher risk! In a year or so, assuming I get my money back on this option, I'd certainly consider investing with WCP again.

I'll let you know how I get on!!!

Just like the UK its all about location when investing overseas. If you buy a property in an area that will rent without any much trouble then you will at least have regular income from your property. The problem for overseas investors is that they don't know the local area well and have to rely on the realtor for the information on where to invest.

Do your research and try and find the areas where you're more likely to get regular rental. If you're into short stay rent then look for the tourist attractions. If you're after long term rental then go for property that's near large business or universities.

World Capital Partners are promoting a scheme under which you can pay a 10% deposit with a guaranteed buy back when the development is complete in c18 months time. you have the option of either competing the purchase, or having the deposit refunded + any capital growth up to 80% of deposit value. see www.worldcapitalpartners.co.uk Their track record and credentials look impressive, but i would like to know if anyone has experience of WCP and this type of scheme.

I cannot believe that after the Madoff scandal some people are impressed with a company because their offices are 'in the Lloyds building' and the staff are 'well spoken'. Get real. The more respectable looking and expensive the scam, the more money they will want off of you. If it is so great then why are they selling to you? Why not keep it all to themselves? It is also slightly worrying that to apply for the sales jobs on offer the person you have to contact is called "Barry".

I have invested with WCP.

I'm not sure people need to worry about how they can give such good guaranteed returns. All developers need funding to get projects off the ground. Many developers go down the pre-off plan route to get this and indeed I've invested in a couple of pre-off plan deals myself. You get substantial discounts investing at this stage (a recent one I did gave me 35% off phase one prices, which should equate to around 50% of final phase prices). Without this finance the project doesn't work. The downside is that you have to put down 100% (not just 20-30%) so you are not geared and that you are taking greater risk.

My understanding is that the WCP options are there way of getting this up front finance. The benefit they have is that they have also got end buyers at the same time. The downside to them is they only get 10% of the property value from each person so need to sell many more.

Very good deals are available in the market, but always remember that good deals are also accompanied by high risks and you must ask yourself if you are willing to take those risks.

Since I invested the Las Vegas market has taken a turn for the worse. Had prices continued to rise at say 10% per annum I'd have made a killing on this investment (well over 100% over a year and a half). They have fallen - estimates vary but generally seem to indicate 3-6%. This means I am unlikely to make anything and with exchange rates moving unfavourably will indeed have lost money. But thats the risk with all property investments. (WCP by the way assure me that these developments are different and haven't fallen in value and that I will see my 80% return. I'd love that to be the case, but realistically I doubt that its true).

While there is uncertainty in the US property market I'd advise anyone to avoid investing there. I certainly wouldn't now and in retrospect wouldn't have bought a WCP option. Having said that, as soon as the market recovers (estimates are that this will be within the next year or so) then these property options are an excellent investment, assuming you are aware that you are ultimately taking a risk that WCP could go bankrupt/fail and you could lose all your investment. With all investments there is a risk. Where you get very high returns like here, you are taking much higher risk! In a year or so, assuming I get my money back on this option, I'd certainly consider investing with WCP again.

I'll let you know how I get on!!!

A little bit of checking on Rod Neilson and Greg Neilson history will quickly find a litany of lies, failed developments and unpaid creditors. Only the dumb, ingnorant and greedy would fall for the fast talking pair. If you Google NZ property news you will see for yourself. You have been warned. !!!

A little bit of checking on Rod Neilson and Greg Neilson history will quickly find a litany of lies, failed developments and unpaid creditors. Only the dumb, ingnorant and greedy would fall for the fast talking pair. If you Google NZ property news you will see for yourself. You have been warned. !!!

Funnily enough Jeremy does not appear to have returned to tell us how he got on.

Strange, that...

My guess would be he's hit his 80% figure but unfortunately not traveling in the right direction!

Hi,

I have some friends that are caught up in this particular deal. Their investment is in serious trouble.

It appears that WCP's current strategy is to mail out regular updates and "Capital Calls" with very short notice and facts that are impossible to verify.

So far no funds have been paid to investors, and despite some wild promises, not one of the original investors has received a penny.

Does anyone on here have any experience with these guys?

Thanks