House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Winners and Losers

News At Noon

Guest Winners and Losers

Talking about pensions on news at noon BBC 4. One example was a 25 year who is trying to get on the property ladder and therefore can't afford to save into a pension. The 'advice' was to save some money in an ISA so you can then put a lump sum into a pension, thereby giving you 'flexibility'. What a load of cobblers! The 'expert' neither answered the question or addressed the issue of the difficulty for FTB's to get on the ladder. Mind boggling.

Then re: interest rates 'no surprise that rates have been held' - oh, how they love to change their tune. I bet this time last week they were predicting a cut!

Edited by Winners and Losers

pensions. as if anyone under 35 cares.

its not us that will suffer first - for a change.

time for them to reap whats been sown.

good luck with 'your' pensions.

im paying into nothing but my euro account.,

Talking about pensions on news at noon BBC 4. One example was a 25 year who is trying to get on the property ladder and therefore can't afford to save into a pension. The 'advice' was to save some money in an ISA so you can then put a lump sum into a pension, thereby giving you 'flexibility'. What a load of cobblers! The 'expert' neither answered the question or addressed the issue of the difficulty for FTB's to get on the ladder. Mind boggling.

Then re: interest rates 'no surprise that rates have been held' - oh, how they love to change their tune. I bet this time last week they were predicting a cut!

I've seen similar.

Problem: "House prices are so high that people cannot afford to both buy a house and do B"

Answer: "Buy the house and then do C and D which add up to being just as expensive as B"

Billy Shears

Guest Winners and Losers

Did I say I was over 35?? ;)

I am only paying into a pension because my employer contributes 5%, so money for nothing really. I would not be putting money into a pension otherwise.

The only reason I've been paying money into my pension is because the company I work for match what I pay up to some percentage of salary. Free money is free money, and it's actually built up to a moderately respectable sum over the last fifteen years.

Otherwise, yeah, I'd rather have money in the bank than money locked up in a pension fund for forty years where future governments could decide to loot it at any moment.

Guest Winners and Losers

They are doing a better job of looking after the future elderly in Australia. It is compulsory for employers to put 9% of your salary into a super scheme.

Place in the Sun on now. House in Florida has not gone up in price in 2 years!

It is compulsory for employers to put 9% of your salary into a super scheme.

Don't you mean looking after stockbrokers' bonuses? Sounds like a great way to prop up the stock market by government force.

Of course when the boomers all want to retire within a few years of each other, that'll cause the mother of all stock market crashes.

So what do you do about rip off annuity rates then ?

Or not being able to retire and draw pension till 60- thanks GB

Are you happy to take your money outside of your control and give it to the government - do you really believe that they won't pilfer it to shore up the public spending - he's already taking £5BN a year. Absolutely no chance.

I have some pensions that will pay out a pittance, but being forced to work for another decade till I am 60 and then getting 6%ish on my money for giving the capital away with no guarantees - it's not worth the tax credit. Especially as the monkeys normally mismanage the fund and get paid anyway and eat a third of its potential anyway then they rape you on an annuity. I simply can't trust any government any more not to steal it.

Did I say I was over 35??

I am only paying into a pension because my employer contributes 5%, so money for nothing really. I would not be putting money into a pension otherwise.

do you really think they wont meddle and lose it before you can claim later in 35 years.

pensions track record anyone ? i dont think you will ever cash this 5%.....

they meddle with housing, cause a shortage of homes. approve a crazy economy, and now its all going sh1t shaped they need your money to bolster up the coming boomer pensions. i though these pensioners already paid in over the last 30 years - what happened to that ?

no chance.

not with my money anyway.

Edited by right_freds_dead

I would have thought that if someone saved their 3 grand per year in an ISA after about 25 years the interest would be enough to provide your pension payments. Also at the end of it when you die you can pass the money on.

I would have thought that if someone saved their 3 grand per year in an ISA after about 25 years the interest would be enough to provide your pension payments. Also at the end of it when you die you can pass the money on.

they did. only it was stolen by governments, new regulations and people like robert maxwell.

if they cant even house a generation, how they gonna look after your savings.

i just dont believe them - trust them anymore.

Hi RFD

If you don't mind me asking, what is the best way to regularly transfer money into a EUR account? I have one in Holland I would like to start using.

Thanks

colour

Don't you mean looking after stockbrokers' bonuses? Sounds like a great way to prop up the stock market by government force.

The financial services industry is thriving in Oz, yes, but at least we have attempted to address the general pensions issue with a long-term plan.

Of course when the boomers all want to retire within a few years of each other, that'll cause the mother of all stock market crashes.

Not so. This system's only been around since the mid-80's. Most boomers don't have a significant amount accumulated because they haven't had sufficient time for their contributions to compound.

And the compulsory employer contribution is NOT an 'additional impost on employers' despite the current spin from some business "leaders"; it originated instead of a pay rise with a secondary purpose as a (successful) attempt to put a circuit-breaker into the wage-price spiral.