House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pheno

Some Advice On Online Share Dealing (squaregain)

Hi all,

I'm playing around with squaregain trying to learn how to use it, and there's one thing I don't understand and can't find explained anywhere clearly! When I go to buy shares (after the end of the day's trading), it displays two prices:

Bid Price p 1,746

Offer Price p 1,796

I don't understand what's the difference between these, and I can't see how these in any way relate to the current figures for that share, which are:

Bid 1779.00 ©

Offer 1779.00 ©

Last Trade 1,779.00

Open 1,785.00

High 1,785.00

Low 1,769.00

Close 1779.00 05/04

I know there are quite a few people who use squaregain on this board, can anyone help me out here?

Thanks for the reply FTBvish. So basically there is a gap between the buy and sell price because the dealer takes a cut? It's quite a large gap - it seems I lost about 1.5% just buy buying some shares! :)

I actually am quite frustrated with the FAQ, it doesn't seem to tell me what I want to know.

Thanks for the reply FTBvish. So basically there is a gap between the buy and sell price because the dealer takes a cut? It's quite a large gap - it seems I lost about 1.5% just buy buying some shares! :)

I actually am quite frustrated with the FAQ, it doesn't seem to tell me what I want to know.

The more liquid the share the smaller the spread is likely to be, therefore costing you less of a commision. look at the spread on low volume AIM shares and compare to something like Vodafone or BP.

Think of spread as the risk the dealer is taking by holding those shares. To use a used car analogy the markup on a VW Golf is going to be low, as you know you are going to be able to sell it on easily. However if you have a 1976 Maserati sitting on the forecourt it could be there for months, therefore requiring you to quote a rather fatter markup on it.