House Price Crash Forum

Scotland Booming? I Don't Think So!

HOLA441
HOLA442

House in my area in south of Scotland went on the market March 2005 at £375K, with Smiths Gore and local agent. Finally sold in February 2006 for £250K.

OUCH!!!. I make that a 33.3% personal crash.

I hear there's good news in Aberdeen too, with prices falling fairly rapidly there.

HOLA443

My sister moved up to the Inverness area in February. It took her 6 weeks to find a job. She thought it was because she is English, until she found out that over 150 people applied for her job.

I discovered yesterday that there were 1500 applicants (almost double the usual figure) for the nursing course I've been accepted on. And nearly 400 for the midwifery course that only has 15 places.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Not even an anecdote to back it up?

House on same street as parents sold 4 years ago for £72k which everyone thought was expensive, same house sold last month for £150k after 6 weeks on the market. House in inverness o/o £115k sold in september, last month after a lick of paint o/o £133k. Friend went to see house, put in offer 15% above asking price (house o/o 95k) went 20% over and by memory there was around 15 offers put in, etc..

HOLA449

bucket loads of data

I'd be really interested to see that. I've only heard anecdotes, but not encouraging ones for anyone wanting to sell (great for buyers). Not in Inverness though - these have all been in Aberdeen which certainly seems to have hit a wall if what's happening on the street is anything to go by.

HOLA4410

Scotland hasn't been as badly hit in the past, as we have been insulated somewhat against the boom.

As the bulls keep bleating - this time its different!

We are not in a bubble when it comes to the bubble - I see trouble ahead.

HOLA4411

I'd be really interested to see that. I've only heard anecdotes, but not encouraging ones for anyone wanting to sell (great for buyers). Not in Inverness though - these have all been in Aberdeen which certainly seems to have hit a wall if what's happening on the street is anything to go by.

I wish that were exactly true Mags. HPI only started in Aberdeen in 2003 and prices have approximately doubled. There are just too many good jobs here right now. I am expecting this to be the top though and hope to see signs of falls soon.

HOLA4412

I wish that were exactly true Mags. HPI only started in Aberdeen in 2003 and prices have approximately doubled. There are just too many good jobs here right now. I am expecting this to be the top though and hope to see signs of falls soon.

That's interesting. I know of a few people trying to sell and they have been very disappointed so far and also a relative who has just bought and is now deeply regretting it and wishes she'd waited for further falls. She feels trapped already. All of that said, these are only anecdotes and I'm about as far from Aberdeen as it's possible to get! My impression was that things weren't looking too rosy for the 'prices can only go up' brigade up there. Interesting to hear otherwise. I'll pass it on. :)

HOLA4413

Aberdeen city is stumbling badly and has done for a while now, due in no small part to the huge numbers of off plan flat developments everywhere. Flats are not selling and rents have not moved up for years.

BTL brigade are now in deep shite at last.

The Right out of town properties especially with land are still robust and commanding a premium.

In general the 280K+ market is still shifting, but much slower as they are really only 180K in reality and the sheeple are starting to know that.

Although there is a shortage of engineering personnel in Aberdeen, the numbers of Oil Industry people employed is down a huge amount on the boom times of old and will never recover.

Not a particularly good place for Sheeple type property speculation, especially as property prices are officially in decline.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Bolton house prices

Leeds property

Rotherham prices

Hartlepool property

Edited by Spring In The Air

HOLA4416

Aberdeen city is stumbling badly and has done for a while now, due in no small part to the huge numbers of off plan flat developments everywhere. Flats are not selling and rents have not moved up for years.

The Right out of town properties especially with land are still robust and commanding a premium.

In general the 280K+ market is still shifting, but much slower as they are really only 180K in reality and the sheeple are starting to know that.

Although there is a shortage of engineering personnel in Aberdeen, the numbers of Oil Industry people employed is down a huge amount on the boom times of old and will never recover.

Not a particularly good place for Sheeple type property speculation, especially as property prices are officially in decline.

Very interesting. This is exactly what I've been hearing.

I think we were talking Aberdeen but thanks anyway...

HOLA4417

Very interesting. This is exactly what I've been hearing.

I think we were talking Aberdeen but thanks anyway...

Have you had a look at the links I posted that show property prices increasing (after a little blip) in 4 towns selected at random in the North? Ah, crossed wires. Someone said there is a boom still on up North and I said there was buckets of data.

Edited by Spring In The Air

HOLA4418

Have you had a look at the links I posted that show property prices increasing (after a little blip) in 4 towns selected at random in the North? Ah, crossed wires. Someone said there is a boom still on up North and I said there was buckets of data.

Thanks, I took a look but I'm not at all up on the North of England and have no idea if these figures match what's happening on the ground. I don't know how that site collates its figures. I was just commenting on the anecdotes on Aberdeen. Thanks anyway. :)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Scottishtoerag,

So you've moved on from "South of Scotland crash is here !" ; http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=27169 at the beginning of the week, to Scotland not booming ! now. Aye, you're getting there.

---

Point taken. My post was in effect a repetition of the first, which I produced before I was away for the weekend, and then forgot that I had sent when I returned.

Must have been a good weekend, eh?

By the way the house I am referring to is close to the border, not Glasgow area.

Regarding Northern England: my weekend was spent in South Yorkshire, where there are masses of for sale boards e.g. Bentley, Barnby Dun, Dunsville, Thorne.

Spoke to my solicitor yesterday, who confirmed that the housing market had quietened down.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Can I have the data that Aberdeen city is stumbling badly please?

Where is the information that property prices are officially in decline?