House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

I Went To Look At A Car...

My car is about to die and my mechanic has told me to get a replacement ASAP so... I started looking at cars in the past 2 - 3 weeks. I've been looking at 2 - 3 year old cars and have been slightly surprised/shocked at the huge different in price between a 2-3 year old car and a new one. We all know we live in rip-off Britain and even some 1 year old cars - Mondeo Avensis - are 40 to 50 percent less than when new but...

As you do you start to migrate upwards in your price range and, before you know it, you are shuffling around new car dealers looking at new cars. One minute my budget is 10K max and the next I am in some glass showroom looking at cars that START at 20K plus and go up, up, up.

Two things have shocked me about new car dealerships:

1. They are crammed full of people seemingly queuing to hand over money, mainly for 4x4s it seems.

2. The salesmen, and Honda has been the exception, by and large, IMPO, do not seem to give a damn about their customers.

I was in one dealership, enquired about a 23K 4x4 and the salesman could not be arsed to give me the time of day. He simply told me that it was the best selling car in its class, that they sold themselves, that he did not have to sell them. He took my phone number to ring me up when the demo car would be available for a drive and now, 3 days after he was supposed to ring, still not phone call.

I just cannot believe that people still are spending money like water on new cars and I cannot believe that they are handing money over to muppets like this - I mean, would anyone hand over 23K to a muppet who cannot be bothered to show common courtesy!?

I mention this because it seems that MEW is still very much alive.

Guest Guy_Montag

There was a short report of Radio Five (Drive maybe) a few days ago, about how there's never been a better time to buy a second hand car; that the difference between a new one & a 1 year old has never been bigger.

My car is about to die and my mechanic has told me to get a replacement ASAP so... I started looking at cars in the past 2 - 3 weeks. I've been looking at 2 - 3 year old cars and have been slightly surprised/shocked at the huge different in price between a 2-3 year old car and a new one. We all know we live in rip-off Britain and even some 1 year old cars - Mondeo Avensis - are 40 to 50 percent less than when new but...

As you do you start to migrate upwards in your price range and, before you know it, you are shuffling around new car dealers looking at new cars. One minute my budget is 10K max and the next I am in some glass showroom looking at cars that START at 20K plus and go up, up, up.

1. They are crammed full of people seemingly queuing to hand over money, mainly for 4x4s it seems.

2. The salesmen, and Honda has been the exception, by and large, IMPO, do not seem to give a damn about their customers.

I was in one dealership, enquired about a 23K 4x4 and the salesman could not be arsed to give me the time of day. He simply told me that it was the best selling car in its class, that they sold themselves, that he did not have to sell them. He took my phone number to ring me up when the demo car would be available for a drive and now, 3 days after he was supposed to ring, still not phone call.

I just cannot believe that people still are spending money like water on new cars and I cannot believe that they are handing money over to muppets like this - I mean, would anyone hand over 23K to a muppet who cannot be bothered to show common courtesy!?

Have to agree. And just a few weeks ago we were moaning about car sales dropping in the UK to an 8 year low! I got a letter from my Audi dealer last month inviting me to buy any new Audi (excep the A4 R4) for cost! I suppose its time to join the queue again...... :angry:

Do you think its a bit like road running running off a cliff? He keeps going until he notices there is no road under his feet?

It was always Coyote that ran off of the cliff.

In my area (bedfordshire), I have seen three new car dealers close in the last few months and when I got my Mazda 6 serviced, the place was completely dead. Justy one bored receptionist to be seen. That was shortley before they closed suddenly and without warning.

It certainly seems this way. Particularly with the 'younger' generation - 18 to 30's have never really known higher interest rates and seem to treat huge credit card debt / MEWing as the norm. "Everyone else does it, why not me?"

It'll end in tears... <_<

You won't go wrong with a Honda. Very nice cars, either new or second hand. Just bought a new Accord as company car, after having the previous one since 1996. As a company, they seem to genuinely want to build the best car for the price that they can.

Maybe this is the Welsh factor that we have been seeing in houses... with Welsh HPs seeming to go up, advertised 'for sale' prices that is... People not being that financially bright in this part of the World generally and just going out and buying expensive cars on the back of the perceived equity in their houses and/or a combination of perceived low IRs.

I was in a showroom about 15 years ago with a friend who wanted to buy a new car. The salesman was pretty cute - perhaps it is just a Welsh thing - and my friend turned to him and said "Look mate, if I am going to buy a new car from you I want you bending down and kissing my **** so start treating me like a customer and not something on the sole of your shoe!".

In fact, I think I will use that in future. I must go back to a couple of those dealers on Saturday when the showrooms are crowded and say that very loudly.

From your first sentence I assumed you were running a Banger (nothing wrong in that).

Why are you eyeing £23k cars all of a sudden ?

From your first sentence I assumed you were running a Banger (nothing wrong in that).

Why are you eyeing £23k cars all of a sudden ?

As I alluded to in my OP - Human Nature. My last car was new and I had it since 1998. It cost me 15K and is worth about next to nothing now. No, I cannot justify paying 23K for a new car. Who can?

I

think I read somewhere that, according to breakdown figures, no new British-built Honda Accords broke down at all last year.

They do appear to have had a lot of problems since sticking the Accord diesel in the CR-V - the readers' reviews on Whatcar allude to this.

Good grief, so much alluding going on! :huh:

And how will you be paying for this? STR funds? (I can't remember if you're an STR or not).

You won't go wrong with a Honda. Very nice cars, either new or second hand. Just bought a new Accord as company car, after having the previous one since 1996. As a company, they seem to genuinely want to build the best car for the price that they can.

Agree. Have owned 4 Accords in my tenure as a driver and had zero problems with all 4 (my 94 had a wonky fuel guage but that was not bad for 4 years trouble free service). Toyota much the same. No wonder these two are ruling the world with GM and Ford sinking. Pity the new Civic is hideous to look at--no wonder the TV ads didn't show its face! The US version is 100% better.

One minute my budget is 10K max and the next I am in some glass showroom looking at cars that START at 20K plus and go up, up, up.

There is no bigger waste of money than paying for a new car

I was in one dealership, enquired about a 23K 4x4

I hope that you aren't seriously considering one of these?

I've never understood why people buy brand new cars. It goes downhill in condition and price from day one. For £15K for a rather average bog standard saloon you can get some magic 5-year-old stuff. Alternatively, how about spend 8K on a 10-year-old S-class Mercedes, giving you money for repairs (if required), additional insurance costs and extra beer money. Can someone please expain, it does not compute!

Guest Guy_Montag

I was in one dealership, enquired about a 23K 4x4 and the salesman could not be arsed to give me the time of day.

23k for a 4x4, when you can have one of these for 19k:

Morgan Plus 8

One day you will be mine, my pretty. Mwaa ha ha ha <-evil laugh

I've never understood why people buy brand new cars. It goes downhill in condition and price from day one. For £15K for a rather average bog standard saloon you can get some magic 5-year-old stuff. Alternatively, how about spend 8K on a 10-year-old S-class Mercedes, giving you money for repairs (if required), additional insurance costs and extra beer money. Can someone please expain, it does not compute!

I paid 2400 a year ago for my 97 Audi A4 SE and it looks almost new and get close to 40 mpg on a run. New price about 10 times that amount. New is a waste. 4 X 4's will soon follow the US market craze for these monsters: down.

Room [to park], economy, potential for unreliability - I would love to sell you a 10 year old S for £8K - unless it's exceptional it's worth about £4K-6K whatever model you want. Air suspension - hilarious when it gets older (check out Range Rovers if you want to see why). A gearbox fault could cost you £2K, consumables can be very expensive, and they could easily cost £5K a year to run - you can run a new car for a lot less and have far less likelihood of breakdown in a new one. Same goes for old Jags, BMWs and the like - there's a reason they are so cheap, they cost so much to run.... - if you want cost effective motoring, it used to be buy at 2, sell at 5 for most mass market stuff - that means a Passat (£15K new) for less than £6.5K and resell three years later for what is probably going to be £3K - Mondeos are even cheaper - you can't run a big Merc for that unless you are REALLY lucky (given Mercedes rubbish recent rep).

If you look at total cost of ownership over a decade or so, there's a reason people buy the Korean stuff if they are going to drive it till it dies....

Yes, good points Rachman. I often hear the argument about buying a X year old top of the range Merc, BMW or Jag but, as your say, the running and repair costs are shocking. That is the reason why they are indeed so cheap and have depreciated so rapidly.

Again, you are right about why people buy new, especialyl if they aim to keep them for 7 or 8 years and run them into the ground.

As for the 4x4s I was seriously opposed to them until I did some research. If you actually put the 4x4s from Honda, Nissan, etc, side by side with most family cars they are actually no bigger - just taller. As for green and safety issues such 4x4s are usually safer for pedestrians than many traditional family cars and the latest diesel engines are also cleaner than many traditional and older cars. Having said that, I think the HUGE 4X4s that are now on the roads should be banned as I can see no point in them and I think many such drivers become dangerous to other motorists.

I paid 2400 a year ago for my 97 Audi A4 SE and it looks almost new and get close to 40 mpg on a run. New price about 10 times that amount. New is a waste. 4 X 4's will soon follow the US market craze for these monsters: down.

I paid £1500 for my 5 year old Renault Laguna in mint condition. With CD, air con, 4 X airbags, etc etc.

I do 650 miles per week and I don't lose any value on my car. I always buy the unloved cars - they are too much of a bargain to ignore.

Cars have become disposable.

As for the 4x4s I was seriously opposed to them until I did some research. If you actually put the 4x4s from Honda, Nissan, etc, side by side with most family cars they are actually no bigger - just taller. As for green and safety issues such 4x4s are usually safer for pedestrians than many traditional family cars and the latest diesel engines are also cleaner than many traditional and older cars. Having said that, I think the HUGE 4X4s that are now on the roads should be banned as I can see no point in them and I think many such drivers become dangerous to other motorists.

Yes, there is a difference between the 4X4s

The Honda CRV/Nissan X-Trail/Land Rover Freelander class aren't really much bigger or less economical than traditional estate cars.

It's the tank sized 4X4s which are the rogues - Land Rover Discovery, Toyota Land Cruiser, Porsche Cayenne etc - these thing weigh close to 2.5 tonnes and even the diesels in the case of the Discovery struggle to return 25mpg in normal driving conditions.

However - most people won't differentiate and will class all 4X4s as bad.

Personally I think 4X4s owners are becoming more and more recognised for what they are - very antisocial. This should eventually halt the increase in sales of these vehicles

Edited by munimula

Room [to park], economy, potential for unreliability - I would love to sell you a 10 year old S for £8K - unless it's exceptional it's worth about £4K-6K whatever model you want. Air suspension - hilarious when it gets older (check out Range Rovers if you want to see why). A gearbox fault could cost you £2K, consumables can be very expensive, and they could easily cost £5K a year to run - you can run a new car for a lot less and have far less likelihood of breakdown in a new one. Same goes for old Jags, BMWs and the like - there's a reason they are so cheap, they cost so much to run.... - if you want cost effective motoring, it used to be buy at 2, sell at 5 for most mass market stuff - that means a Passat (£15K new) for less than £6.5K and resell three years later for what is probably going to be £3K - Mondeos are even cheaper - you can't run a big Merc for that unless you are REALLY lucky (given Mercedes rubbish recent rep).

If you look at total cost of ownership over a decade or so, there's a reason people buy the Korean stuff if they are going to drive it till it dies....

I ran a 10 year old BMW 5 series for 10,000 miles over a winter a couple of years ago and sold it for just £100 less than I paid for it (£2,750). Pretty cheap motoring ?

about 3 years ago i bought a proton for 600 quid and ive never had any problems with it. Ive had to buy windscreen wipers, an exhaust and 2 new tyres, infact thinking about it i think its more like 4 years ago. So in all that time of trouble free motoring the whole car has cost me less than a grand thats even including the cost of MOT's!

Oh btw i also live with my mum in a council house. My sister bought 5 years ago for 52K which is now *worth* 125K.

I ran a 10 year old BMW 5 series for 10,000 miles over a winter a couple of years ago and sold it for just £100 less than I paid for it (£2,750). Pretty cheap motoring ?

Correct, but an old 5 Series is usually not an S Class in terms of complexity, a 10 year old 5 is basically a fairly simple tank. And you got it right - for each one of you, there is someone else who needed a new gearbox or bought something with an engine that went pop. Buying prudent in the first place with cars (like so many things) saves you - the old adage, buy in haste, repent at leisure.... - 5s are usually heavy on brake parts, with them weighing so much.....

Like the person who bought the Laguna, did they buy an auto - if so, they WERE very lucky from the trade's experience not to have it go bang.....

If you want value for money motoring and class (not bling, but class), you can't go wrong with a classic:

Cheaper insurance

Free road tax

Zero depreciation

Some say you spend more maintaining classics but it's not true in my experience: my 1972 alfa romeo typically costs me about £500 a year in mechanics' bills. My 2000 alfa romeo seems to be costing about the same.