House Price Crash Forum
Solvent Celt

Government Tries To Hide Impact Of Immigration On Housing Demand

Even though it is the single biggest factor acording to Migration Watch UK

Government 'hiding' immigration impact on

housing growth

The Government has been accused of deliberately hiding the impact of immigration on the country’s future housing needs.

The recent Household Projection report (March 14) did not even mention immigration as being a factor in the requirement to build the 4.8m new houses which it said were needed in Britain between 2003 and 2026.

But, says a detailed analysis of the figures out today, immigration is in fact the largest single primary factor requiring 65,000 houses to be built each year – equivalent to a city the size of Peterborough every 12 months. That amounts to 1.5 million over the period 2003 – 2026, or very nearly a third of the total new households.

Think-tank Migrationwatch has found that if immigration and emigration were roughly in balance it would eliminate the need for the government’s massive proposed increase in the housing programme and would greatly alleviate the need for ‘concreting over the South East’ and the huge pressure on the environment that will result. (Read report).

‘As usual the issue of immigration was swept under the carpet and the ‘spin’ put on the story was that it was the growth of one person households that was the principal cause of the housing requirement, giving the impression that this is caused simply by social trends’ said Sir Andrew Green, Migrationwatch chairman.

‘In fact our analysis shows that this is thoroughly misleading. In order of size immigration is the single largest primary contributor - accounting for 32% of the increase; more adults accounted for 28% of the rise and in third place was more single households (arising from changing social trends) accounting for 21% Migration was simply not mentioned in the document from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister as a reason for the growth in households.’

Without it there would be no requirement for the recent massive increase in the government’s house building target and very little need to build on green field sites at all.

Sir Andrew said the massive house building programme would affect every community in the country and it was therefore important to understand why (and whether) it was necessary.

When Gordon has finished selling out to cheap overtseas credit and the crash comes there will not be many jobs for the immigrants to come to. Most jobs are moving overseas in any event. Went to the Royal Worcester factory the other week and noted that the rest of our China industry has moved to CZ and Portugal!

Boom and Bust, Optomist

Don't you find it bad that NuLabour spin it to ignore the biggest factor? Isn't that at all dishonest?

‘concreting over the South East’

That quote alone epitomizes such hysterical bull$hit, in reality parts of the North-East are actually the most intensely developed.

Additionally, if our economic development concentrates in a given area whilst the rest of the country develops Soviet style state backed regional econonies then it's no surprise that people choose to live and migrate to the South East, this is simply a consequence of running a highly centralised system.

Edited by BuyingBear

Please let me get my two penneth in.

Immigration is not a factor in housing simply because more people leave the UK in real terms that enter.

The UK has benefited immensely through immigration. The UK is now a well cultured and crimeless society simple because the Labour Party have had the good sense to import millions of hand picked highly skilled and hard working immigrants into the country. Had these people not been invited in, then for sure British Society would have broken down years ago, into an unruly mob just like it was in London in the 50's.

It is often said that if these immigrants had been living in the UK during the second world war, then the war would have been won in three days, such is the dedication and appreciation of British generousity they would simply have lay down their lives for their host country.

I applaud the Labour Party's policy of not checking who is coming in, it would be discriminatory to do otherwise and in fact dam right rude. If the British workers worked like the immigrants then for sure we would be the richest nation on the planet earth in no time whatsoever.

Its a great shame that the dishonourable Maggie Thatcher made it so hard for immigrants to come to the UK and setup a offshore enclave of what they fled from. She should be punished serverely for it.

Immigration is not a factor in housing simply because more people leave the UK in real terms that enter.

Net migration into the UK has averaged 166,000 a year over the last 7 years.

Source: ONS: International Migration Series MN no. 30 and News Release 20 October 2005

Not all immigration is bad, but not all immigration is good either. And, immigration of 'highly skilled people' also means that said people are very much missed in their economy back home, which if you think about it is just as bad as stealing their natural resources, if not worse, as it destroys the fabric of their society as the middle class and the smartest people are those who are leaving.

And just because someone discusses this, it doesn't mean that they sympathize with the BNP either btw.

Immigration can be problematic if it is done without integration, and it is not discriminatory to check that the people who are coming in are skilled in areas that this country has a need in, healthy, without criminal records and able to speak english.

The UK has benefited immensely through immigration. The UK is now a well cultured and crimeless society simple because the Labour Party have had the good sense to import millions of hand picked highly skilled and hard working immigrants into the country. Had these people not been invited in, then for sure British Society would have broken down years ago, into an unruly mob just like it was in London in the 50's.

It is often said that if these immigrants had been living in the UK during the second world war, then the war would have been won in three days, such is the dedication and appreciation of British generousity they would simply have lay down their lives for their host country.

I applaud the Labour Party's policy of not checking who is coming in, it would be discriminatory to do otherwise and in fact dam right rude. If the British workers worked like the immigrants then for sure we would be the richest nation on the planet earth in no time whatsoever.

Its a great shame that the dishonourable Maggie Thatcher made it so hard for immigrants to come to the UK and setup a offshore enclave of what they fled from. She should be punished serverely for it.

Ok so the UK is NOT a well cultured and crimeless society but would someone like to tell me where is????

Also, I have usually found people from the Indian sub-continent/Asia to be very cultured. Problems I have seen have been with White, British, Chavvy people who were born here :ph34r:

Ok so the UK is NOT a well cultured and crimeless society but would someone like to tell me where is????

Also, I have usually found people from the Indian sub-continent/Asia to be very cultured. Problems I have seen have been with White, British, Chavvy people who were born here :ph34r:

Yeah. lets kick them all out :P

Net migration into the UK has averaged 166,000 a year over the last 7 years.

Source: ONS: International Migration Series MN no. 30 and News Release 20 October 2005

Yes and inflation is only 2%

we are being flooded and that started the rush for BTL and now we are going to pay the price.

laurejon

Are you an immigrant by any chance - or a stupid white liberal ?

Shouldn't you add taking the piss to your list?

No-one seems able to spot sarcasm on this site!! Makes the whole board look like a bunch of idiots.

:lol::lol::lol:

Funnily enough, at the start of the 2nd world war, Hungarian, Polish and Czech pilots made their way to Britain and played an absolutely vital role in the Battle of Britain - we were short of spitfire pilots. The British pilots were at first a bit horrified by how viciously these pilots fought - shooting germans out from under their parachutes, for example, which the brits thought just wasn't cricket, and taking planes up without permission the minute they heard an engine - but as they got to know them and heard about how the Germans were behaving in Europe they understood. If you read any history of the battle of britain you'll see how important their contribution was. Of course, you'd probably rather all our planes had been shot down because if we hadn't won the battle of britain we would have been invaded and who knows how the war would have gone. We might now be living in a society in which you racist pricks would feel considerably more comfortable. You are britain at its very worst. migration watch ********.

Not all immigration is bad, but not all immigration is good either. And, immigration of 'highly skilled people' also means that said people are very much missed in their economy back home, which if you think about it is just as bad as stealing their natural resources, if not worse, as it destroys the fabric of their society as the middle class and the smartest people are those who are leaving.

Just wanted to respond to the "stealing" of human capital part. This in my mind is a very difficult topic because I definitely agree with you. This is particularly evident in doctors taken from Africa to come and work in Western hospitals. We benefit from the free education they receive in Africa and then poach them. The problem is that don't those invidivual doctors have a right to make the most of their talents - perhaps they became doctors just so they could leave Africa in the first place. What these African nations should do is force doctors going through education to sign a contract stipulation they have to work a minimum number of years in their own country or they can pay to break that contact - a fee that would perhaps be paid by the Western employer and can be used by said African nation to educate more people to do that job.

Immigration can be problematic if it is done without integration, and it is not discriminatory to check that the people who are coming in are skilled in areas that this country has a need in, healthy, without criminal records and able to speak english.

I don't think people coming into the UK with short term work visas should be required to speak English (a number come to England to learn English) but people who want citizenship or permanent right to remain should be required to learn Englinsh, and IMHO pass GCSE equivalent exams in History and Maths as well.

What I always find interesting is that when people go on about immigrants they always seem to be worried about all the low skilled and incredibly low paid works from Eastern Europe or Asia. These people are doing the jobs Brits won't do (I have a friend who runs a strawberry farm and have seen that first hand). No one seems to be complaining about, say, all those from Australia and New Zealand working in London who do white collar jobs that Brits are happy to do. Why is that?

PMSL :D

No one seems to be complaining about, say, all those from Australia and New Zealand working in London who do white collar jobs that Brits are happy to do. Why is that?

Because they're not coloured? I've also found it weird why people don't have it in for the Chinese at much, despite them being one of the larger minorites. Surely they deserve their fair share of the hatred and bigotry our nation is so good at providing to people who aren't white skinned?

If anyone takes MigrationWatch seriously, they need help, they're a bunch of thinly concealed racist bigots, not publically, oh no, but you know where they're really coming from.

Why is it that people who think their race is superior to others tend to be such poor examples of their own?

No one seems to be complaining about, say, all those from Australia and New Zealand working in London who do white collar jobs that Brits are happy to do. Why is that?

it iz bickoz they iz not blick

Why is it that people who think their race is superior to others tend to be such poor examples of their own?

God, absolutely, well said - have never got as far as framing that thought for myself but you're exactly right! :D

it iz bickoz they iz not blick

God, absolutely, well said - have never got as far as framing that thought for myself but you're exactly right! :D

:lol:

Because they're not coloured? I've also found it weird why people don't have it in for the Chinese at much, despite them being one of the larger minorites. Surely they deserve their fair share of the hatred and bigotry our nation is so good at providing to people who aren't white skinned?

Ah but Eastern Europeans are white skinned, are they not, and they are still treated with disdain.

Why is THAT?