House Price Crash Forum
Adam Sutton

Rightmove + Googlemaps

Hi,

I was looking for a site that integrated property searching to GoogleMaps to give me some idea of properties available (and rough) price in the area I am moving to.

Having been unable to find anything that met my needs I decided to have a go myself. It was quite easy to put together, the hardest part being getting the info from Rightmove (since I don't have access to their Database I have had to parse output from their search tool).

I have contacted Rightmove about this, as I would love to see them add something similar to their site, I am sure someone with a bit more time and experience could do something really cool with it.

This is not an advert, I am not making any money of this etc... I simply did it for my own purposes but thought others would find it useful.

Anyway the link is http://sandbox.adamsutton.co.uk/maps/rightmove.php this intro page gives a few indications of the problems with the script (there are a few) and then points you at the main script.

Anyway hope this proves useful to a few people.

Adam

Apologies to all those trying to view the site using IE, I am not sure why it doesn't work. I think Problem is I stole most of the layout code from Rightmove and mucked up some of teh javascript.

I am working on it, and I have it mostly going now, will update the link once its done.

For the time being, I am afraid you will have to use firefox.

Apologies to all those trying to view the site using IE, I am not sure why it doesn't work. I think Problem is I stole most of the layout code from Rightmove and mucked up some of teh javascript.

I am working on it, and I have it mostly going now, will update the link once its done.

For the time being, I am afraid you will have to use firefox.

Was wondering why nobody was saying how great it is... I've got FireFox, and it's great.

T&T

Was wondering why nobody was saying how great it is... I've got FireFox, and it's great.

T&T

Lovely. What's the key to the colour coding? Price? Time of addition to Rightmove?

cheers, Phil

Lovely. What's the key to the colour coding? Price? Time of addition to Rightmove?

Ah. It seems to be price. Shame it's all shades of red and purple.

looks great :) something you could sell to rightmove?

just don't let them pay you in shares :D

Just an update, I have now got this working with IE.

i like the hybrid map - but it doesn't zoom in for me on IE and the properties don't show up - just tells me 23 properties displayed in my criteria but I can't see them

i like the hybrid map - but it doesn't zoom in for me on IE and the properties don't show up - just tells me 23 properties displayed in my criteria but I can't see them

Do you get anything for any searches? It definetly works in IE on my machine, If you email me the HTML

that is returned I will take a look and see if I can figure out what might be happening.

Let me know which version of IE you are using aswell.

email : adam at adamsutton dot co dot uk

looks great :) something you could sell to rightmove?

I don't know really, I think I would be happy just to see them pick it up and use it. Since there is

only so much I can do without direct access to their database. Not to mention the fact that I don't

have time or money to host it if it becomes really popular.

I have tried contacting Rightmove to let them know about it, but haven't heard anything back yet,

might try again now its working in IE and I have a few hits on the page and some feedback from

you guys.

I have had some initial feedback from RightMove and its very positive. They have said they shall contact me again later this week to offer some more in depth feedback.

Will keep you all posted.

Thanks to all those who have given me feedback on the site.

Adam

Hi Adam,

I know this is a very old post but was just wondering what happened to youre site - tried the link and it doesn't seem to be active now - is this something to do with changes on Rightmove? The reason I stumbled here is I was googling for a tool to do this - having not found one before I wrote a simple GreaseMonkey script to do the same thing (http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/54902). This uses the Google Maps directions feature in order to show all the markers using a single URL but think it could be done more elegantly e.g. with a split screen. Perhaps I might try and implement the split screen later some time but would be interested in seeing how your tool presents this...

Cheers

Steve