House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
detached

The Blairs Btl Nightmare

Amusing story in the Observer about our great leader's disastrous property investment record. I nearly choked with laugher over my breakfat when I read that Cherie's BTL investment in Bristol has already lost them over 50K.

Wonder if Gordon will be popping in for a few words of comfort :lol::lol:

And guess who sold them the Connaught square 'lemon' (currently 'worth' about £500K less than they paid for it)? our friends from Foxtons ,,,,, :P

Poor old Tone, it's all going tits up for him - no wonder he doesn't want to go until the economy is f*****d, at least then Gordon will take the blame

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/cash/story/0,,1744685,00.html

In fact the lowest price sale for a 2 bed flat in 'The Panoramic' on Park Row in Bristol is:

£211K according to LR data, on 17/10/2005.

That would mean Blair's lost more than £50K... probably double that figure.

It is perhaps a form of justice that the leader of the most disastrous government of modern times in terms of debt and the prevention of an entire generation from homeownership should be suffering at the hands of the very monster he allowed his henchman to create.

It is also strange that the Blair's example of how property prices are dropping in various parts of the UK, even London, goes against the up up and continuing to go away (from FTBs) propaganda the VIs spew out. Perhaps the truth is that the Blair's experience is typical and a reflection of the dark reality this government has fostered.

Live by debt and you shall die by debt, economically speaking, of course.

However, unlike most FTBs, Blair will be looking at a million-plus income from speaking tours and brown paper bags when he retires: I'm sure he has far too much dirt on far too many people for them to let him go bankrupt. So the failure of his BTL empire is funny, but won't really affect him much.

Edited by MarkG

However, unlike most FTBs, Blair will be looking at a million-plus income from speaking tours and brown paper bags when he retires: I'm sure he has far too much dirt on far too many people for them to let him go bankrupt. So the failure of his BTL empire is funny, but won't really affect him much.

Agreed, Bill Clinton makes ~ $50,000 for an hour long lecture/talk.

Blair will get similar although perhaps slightly less lucrative offers and should easily earn a million plus per year.

Alistair Campbells diary will make AC a few million quid too. Probably all at the expense of Brown.

It will be interesting to see how vocal Blair remains once he leaves number 10

I think their future earnings are estimated to be about £20 million. Probably why the banks don't think twice when he asks for a mortgage (assuming he uses a bank, of course!!!).

Only if he can somehow avoid war crime convictions or the fate of a previous generation of Jacobins (hint - its very efficient and beins with a G).

BAB

Only if he can somehow avoid war crime convictions or the fate of a previous generation of Jacobins (hint - its very efficient and beins with a G).

BAB

Gayness??

Or Guillotine?

I wonder if Blair really will get paid all that much for after-dinner speaking.

Bill Clinton is immensely charismatic - heard a story of him coming over here to address the Labour party conference. Journalist went outside afterwards to find a cabinet minister having a smoke. Cabinet minister's comment, "I do like a fag after I've been made love to..." the Bill Clinton Effect!

Seriously, though, I wonder who will pay Blair for after-dinner speeches. All his "I'm a pretty sort straight of guy" has left him morally tainted, against the backdrop of Iraq and non-existent WMDs. He looks more and more sleazy by the day and with his property record he's hardly going to be hosting Inside Track seminars. I wonder whether people are going to want to be reminded of his government and endless reruns of that Granita agreement? And as for him feeling our pain over the death of a Princess, pass the sick bag.

I wouldn't be surprised if he and Cherie of the ever-open hand (wasn't there a story about her accepting freebies for her kids in a shop in Australia? and all that profiteering on the back of her book about being Mrs PM - yuck) don't find themselves cold-shouldered when he finally gets off his a*se and leaves Downing St.

I was just about to say the same as there's every chance that Blair and Bush will be bought to book in the Hague once their term in office is over.

B & B have about as much chnace as Winston had of being brought to book after the mass murder that took place at Dresden which was an act of revenge for what happened at Coventry. More civilians were slaughtered on that dreadfull night in Germany than have been killed in Iraq during both phases of the "war."

London estate agents talked of little else: why on earth had the Blairs chosen that property? Cliff Gardiner of The Buying Solution, the independent buying agency arm of Knight Frank, believes they may have fallen into the trap of believing what the estate agent was telling them: 'Foxtons no doubt painted a very rosy picture of the rental yields and resale value. The reality is that these houses struggle to sell on the open market, never mind attract a tenant.'

The PM was shagged by Foxtons, the ultimate coup, they know no bounds :lol::lol:

and Churchill came back for a second stint as Prime minister in 1951 .......6 years after losing to Labour..

and Harold Wilson similarly in 1974,,,,,,,You couldn't do that now, could you?..... :o

Edited by Michael

I think you are all missing the point.

He has a job already, he works for the EU, leaving downing street would be a promotion as he will be shoehorned directly into the EU top job.

And from that platform he can inflict the rest of his communist ideals on the entire European Union.

Their property woes began when he won the election in 97......He sold the Islington house for about a third of what it'd be worth now rather than rent it out because of the earlier scandal (if you can call it that!) involving Norman Lamont's flat whose tenants turned it into a knocking shop.

B & B have about as much chnace as Winston had of being brought to book after the mass murder that took place at Dresden which was an act of revenge for what happened at Coventry. More civilians were slaughtered on that dreadfull night in Germany than have been killed in Iraq during both phases of the "war."

The Germans can scarcely complain. They pretty much invented terror bombing: Guernica, Warsaw, Rotterdam and as you say Coventry. Not to mention their particularly brutal airborne incineration of wooden workers' housing in the opening stages of the battle of Stalingrad. Their big mistake of course was not building heavy four engined bombers like the Lancaster and Halifax. You don't have the right to whinge if you punch someone and they hit you back harder. As Bomber Harris said they sowed the wind and they reaped the whirlwind. At least the Germans had the chance to defend themselves with their nightfighters and flak guns. The six million odd Jews they pushed into gas chambers didn't get the same opportunity.

The Germans can scarcely complain. They pretty much invented terror bombing: Guernica, Warsaw, Rotterdam and as you say Coventry. Not to mention their particularly brutal airborne incineration of wooden workers' housing in the opening stages of the battle of Stalingrad. Their big mistake of course was not building heavy four engined bombers like the Lancaster and Halifax. You don't have the right to whinge if you punch someone and they hit you back harder. As Bomber Harris said they sowed the wind and they reaped the whirlwind. At least the Germans had the chance to defend themselves with their nightfighters and flak guns. The six million odd Jews they pushed into gas chambers didn't get the same opportunity.

Agree. Blair and Bush did do one thing right: they unseated Little Joe Stalin Hussein who was a dab hand at gassing the Northern Tribes and torturing others who did not buy into the Sunni police state. Time will tell if Iraq becomes a Mullah Dictatorship (most likely scenario) or returns to some kind of military "democracy" a la Pakistan.

To charge western leaders with mass murder is a difficult one as we have been at it for centuries in the name of defence, aquisition of territory and for trade reasons. Blair probably has far less blood on his hands as leader than Gladstone or Disraeli who saw a few "wogs" off in their time. Then there was Olly Cromwell...................

Let's have the full Arthur Harris quotation:

'The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw, and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind.'

Let's have the full Arthur Harris quotation:

'The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw, and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind.'

That's the one!

Getting back on topic...I always have a bloody good laugh whenever I read about the Blairs and their property related misadventures. Cheers me up no end.

And guess who sold them the Connaught square 'lemon' (currently 'worth' about £500K less than they paid for it)? our friends from Foxtons ,,,,, :P

Then 6 months later Foxtons get turned over by the Bliar Broadcasting Corporation.

Coincidence? :unsure:

What did I say about the "smart money" selling to the Dumb money?

Blair is no fool, but like many in this country,

His knowledge of financial matters and market dynamics is sadly inadequate.

Maybe they should teach it in Skol

Old fashioned name for the Prime Minister is First Lord of the Treasury I think. God help us if that's Blair !!

He has a job already, he works for the EU, leaving downing street would be a promotion as he will be shoehorned directly into the EU top job.

And he paid a backhander of £2 billion per annum ongoing of our EU rebate to reserve his job as EU president. With only some vague promise of CAP reform. It amazing there hasn't been a revolution. The sheeple are even more ignorant than myself. This is the biggest cash for honours scandal in history

Agree. Blair and Bush did do one thing right: they unseated Little Joe Stalin Hussein who was a dab hand at gassing the Northern Tribes and torturing others who did not buy into the Sunni police state.

Hussein was encouraged to gas the northern tribes after our glorious leaders encouraged them to revolt in Gulf War 1, then didn't invade after all - leaving the Kurds high and dry, revealed and fully exposed to Hussain. Please also remember that the CIA put Hussain into power in the first place: http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/51/217.html - Rather like the CIA trained Osama Bin Laden in terrorist tactics.

Edited by LargelyIgnorant

The Germans can scarcely complain. They pretty much invented terror bombing:

Actually bombing civilians from the air was invented by Winston Churchill in 1919 when he ordered the bombing of Iraqi's . He also ordered the use of gassing from the air but the British didn't have the technical capability then .

Actually bombing civilians from the air was invented by Winston Churchill in 1919 when he ordered the bombing of Iraqi's . He also ordered the use of gassing from the air but the British didn't have the technical capability then .

Not convinced that qualifies as terror bombing. You could argue those villages were military targets seeing as they were hiding places for rebellious tribesmen. With the Germans you had sustained attacks on cities with the avowed aim of scaring the hell out of the civilian population and breaking their morale. Probably worth mentioning that this particular tactic didn't really work for either side.

Probably worth mentioning that this particular tactic didn't really work for either side.

And that we dropped about a hundred times the weight of bombs on them as they did on us. And, if I remember correctly, Churchill deliberately tried to provoke the Nazis into bombing London by bombing Berlin: because he knew that if they continued bombing airfields, aircraft factories, etc, then the 'Battle of Britain' wouldn't last long...

Bombing German cities really didn't achieve much other than to kill Germans. Production didn't drop off much until very late in the war: it was very much a case of 'when the only tool you have is a four-engined bomber, every problem looks like a mass-bombing target'. They couldn't accurately hit many targets that mattered, so they took to bombing cities because that was what they could do.

I agree, though, having watched some WWII training movies recently, I sure wouldn't have wanted to be flying in one of those things on either side.

Edited by MarkG