House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Eurozone Yields Rise Ahead Of Ecb Meeting

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/04042006/94/eurozo...cb-meeting.html

Tuesday April 4, 01:41 PM

Eurozone yields rise ahead of ECB meeting

Eurozone government bonds remained on the backfoot on Tuesday as investors fretted over the prospect of further interest rate rises by the European Central Bank.

With reality news hitting the headlines in the US and EU how is it that a huge increase in MEW in the UK is treated as the "best" level of borrowing for some time? E.g.:

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/04042006/214/home-...and-surges.html

Home equity release demand surges
LONDON (ShareCast) - Demand for equity release from Britain's homeowners surged to
year-best levels
at the end of 2005, according to new figures.

Surely any sane economist would see higher borrowing against an IR sensitive assett as something to be worried about and not something to boast as being the "best ever" level of indebtedness. The attitude toward an economic negative in the UK shows just how brainwashed the sheeple have become. Such is the power of the "Miracle Economy" that people just believe. I think it is downright terrifying.

Why has the £ found considerable support since yesterday morning when it was under pressure? It was down at $1.72ish now $1.75

Do they think that there is a chance that the MPC will think the unthinkable and rise rates?

Why has the £ found considerable support since yesterday morning when it was under pressure? It was down at $1.72ish now $1.75

Do they think that there is a chance that the MPC will think the unthinkable and rise rates?

That'd be nice. But the current support is stopping my gold going further :blink:

So head I win, tails I win. ish.

As far as I can see it's not so much the pound finding support, it seems to be the dollar sinking as people expect less rate increases in America due to poor economic data.

Fine by me, as the dollar dropping is pulling the Canadian dollar down with it and I get better rates to transfer out of Sterling soon :).

Edited by MarkG

Surely any sane economist would see higher borrowing against an IR sensitive assett as something to be worried about and not something to boast as being the "best ever" level of indebtedness. The attitude toward an economic negative in the UK shows just how brainwashed the sheeple have become. Such is the power of the "Miracle Economy" that people just believe. I think it is downright terrifying.

Yeah. Sort of like painting a sudden increase in the importation of hard drugs as evidence that addicts are enjoying more highs than ever before.

Billy Shears

[quote name='Realistbear' Surely any sane economist would see higher borrowing against an IR sensitive assett as something to be worried about and not something to boast as being the "best ever" level of indebtedness. The attitude toward an economic negative in the UK shows just how brainwashed the sheeple have become. Such is the power of the "Miracle Economy" that people just believe. I think it is downright terrifying.

A lot of MEW is buying property abroad. Myself and millions of other Brits recognise the sense in buying under valued real estate prior to those nations finding thier way back to wealth equilibrium after the fall of communism. From Estonia to Slovenia (where Ive been offered a 3 bed new house right on the ski - slopes for 106000 euros mmmm). Hungary to Germany, the opportunity will soon pass so investors are mewing to ride the wave just as they did for the UK B2L adventure.

Risk is terrifying but hopefuly will once again proove frueitful for those with the inclanation not to simply 'mark time'.

As far as I can see it's not so much the pound finding support, it seems to be the dollar sinking as people expect less rate increases in America due to poor economic data.

I think its more to do with China's threat to cut it's holdings of US bonds.

I dont think the Fed will stop raising due to softening economic data [uS dont have Steven Nickel at the controls!] Bernake seems quite happy for there to be some pain in this process

I think it is downright terrifying.

I agree completely, it is terrifying. What happened to the financial sense of the UK public?

I (for my sins) watched 'Grand Designs' on TV last night....young westcountry couple bought a 450k house and then planned to spend 70k doing it up. They ended up spending £300k or so doing it up, labour of love, repsect for the building etc etc. The end result was wonderful, and very, very luxurious....but they had funded their 'dream' with the mother of all mortgages. They did not say, but I estimate the total mortgage was around 600k (assuming a very hefty deposit of 150k!)...

...'congratulations' I thought...you are living in a dream house, but it is owned by the bank. You will have to pay over £3k to the bank every month for the next thirty years in order to pay it off!!!

But of course mortgages don't really need to be paid back, right?

Madness.

pound falling for the sixth successive day vs Euro - nearly 70p to buy 1 Euro- lowest level since last July.