House Price Crash Forum
othello

Bizzare Behaviour

Guest Winners and Losers

No, we all know that everyone wants to pay OVER the odds for property at the moment. It probably wasnt selling because it was too cheap. Where is the kudos in that?

If the market moves, move with it.

I guess that's what a lot of people are doing, hence the stupid reports we are reading about a 'recovery', but if it isn't selling at £424 it definiitely isn't going to at £475!

No, we all know that everyone wants to pay OVER the odds for property at the moment. It probably wasnt selling because it was too cheap. Where is the kudos in that?

Maybe you're right. Or perhaps they are trying to position it is a higher search bracket (Primelocation have lower and upper price limits for search).

Are you sure it isn't just the old salesman's trick of putting the price up of something up to make it seem more exclusive than it actually is? I have lost count of the number of people I know who will choose more expensive items in supermarkets for example because they believe price means quality, and lets be honest, most people these days seem to spend more time choosing which baked beans to buy than they do on viewing a house.

I was watching a house near Stratford upon Avon last year. Unsold at £780,000.

Now on with a new agent for £950,000.

I thought, compared to other properties nearby, that it was worth approx £700,000.

However lots of houses in the £550,000 to £750,000 price bracket have sold STC recently so maybe they think they'll "follow the market".

Definitely a growing trend.

I would think the agent and seller will have discussed the realistic price, and are ready to drop to catch the gullible buyer.

As the buzz phrase seems to be, 'look for a bargain', many people will believe they have one, once they knock off 20% with a 'cheeky' bid.

Could backfire though, if it is the intention.

If the market moves, move with it.

The noise you heard when TTRTL was composing this barb of "wit" was the sound of grinding inevitability. <_<

Give sellers even half an inch, and they take a mile. That's what's happening right now, which is feeding in to HPI.

The EAs and sellers are all dancing around probably on some sort of LSD induced frenzy thinking that the good times are here again.

I think that they all need a kick in the nuts.

Is it possible they had quite a few offers for say £40-50 grand below asking price. This would make you believe the house is desirable, but they have also fallen in love with the idea of getting the asking price. Any offer at £40-50 grand now would give them their price.

However the logic still seems odd.

Give sellers even half an inch, and they take a mile. That's what's happening right now, which is feeding in to HPI.

The EAs and sellers are all dancing around probably on some sort of LSD induced frenzy thinking that the good times are here again.

I think that they all need a kick in the nuts.

I do agree about the psychedelic frenzy... have you seen the forum on Singing Pig - they're all high on something I'm sure.

Edited by othello

I'm thinking of ringing the EA and asking them whether it is a mistake and if not what makes it worth £50k more than it was when it didn't sell! Perhaps they've had an extension built on. :lol:

Guest Winners and Losers

Could all the hiking of prices be good for a HPC though? More people priced out, over supply?

I'm thinking of ringing the EA and asking them whether it is a mistake and if not what makes it worth £50k more than it was when it didn't sell! Perhaps they've had an extension built on. :lol:

Probably £200 of B&Q 'faux' Oak parquet flooring :lol:

Absolutely bizzare. This house has been on the market for around 4 months at £424,000. It is now being marketed, by the SAME estate agent, at £475,000.

Are there any EAs out there who can explain this apparently irrantional behaviour?

http://www.primelocation.com/uk-property-f.../hambMAR050020/

No it's true I'm seeing a few doing this even after 2 years on the market and empty with no improvements suddenly price hiked!

I think a few press (prices rising) headlines have got to the sellers. I guess it can work in some circumstances suddenly appearing in another search price bracket etc.

This so called "spring bounce" is a lot more noticable than last year as I'm now seeing houses shifting that have been on the market for more than 18 months!

And to top it all the woman in work who's empty house has been on the market since July 2003 has now Sold STC! (it did drop 95k in total though from a rediculous original price)

Now that really was my yardstick for the market.