House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BillyShears

Why Isn't "the Stock Market" Advertising More?

I'm curious that if the stock market is out-performing property, then why don't we see more advertisements directly stating the fact? Why not billboard advertisements saying things like "If you had a BTL property in XXXXX last year you would have made (or lost) YYY. If you'd invested in our fund you'd have made ZZZZ for sitting on the beach." Maybe sitting on the beach isn't such a good image in the UK and that may betray my origins, but I think people get the point.

It seems to be to be a no-brainer advertisement if the numbers add up.

Billy Shears

I'm curious that if the stock market is out-performing property, then why don't we see more advertisements directly stating the fact? Why not billboard advertisements saying things like "If you had a BTL property in XXXXX last year you would have made (or lost) YYY. If you'd invested in our fund you'd have made ZZZZ for sitting on the beach." Maybe sitting on the beach isn't such a good image in the UK and that may betray my origins, but I think people get the point.

It seems to be to be a no-brainer advertisement if the numbers add up.

Billy Shears

Because to most - talking about Joe Public here - it is a "specalist" area. When a study last week was showing many in Uk struggle to understand even basic financial principles, a small % couldn't even understand their own bank statement. .....do you really think they can get their heads around playing the markets?

Even members on this forum admit they would not risk their STR funds on market. Looking at "investment section" you will see how some are even cashing in investments and have made NO profit. Others are struggling playing the markets. http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=26361 And in the news yesterday it was announced that Halifax are cutting interest rate on some ISA accounts, and apparently it is going to hit across the board with Banks lowering rates. Will try to get link to yesterday's Evening Standard.

All due repsects but we are not all Dr Bubb, the guy is an expert, i would imagine very comfortabley off and to him it makes perfect sense to STR and use those funds to invest. I personally do not think it is that easy....just IMO. Anyone who is financially savvy will read the FT or business pages and see for themselves how markets are performing.

Edited by beenhearingthisforyears

Because to most - talking about Joe Public here - it is a "specalist" area. When a study last week was showing many in Uk struggle to understand even basic financial principles, a small % couldn't even understand their own bank statement. .....do you really think they can get their heads around playing the markets?

Even members on this forum admit they would not risk their STR funds on market. Looking at "investment section" you will see how some are even cashing in investments and have made NO profit. Others are struggling playing the markets. http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=26361

All due repsects but we are not all Dr Bubb, the guy is an expert, i would imagine very comfortable off and to him it makes perfect sense to STR and use those funds to invest. I personally do not think it is that easy....just IMO.

But I thought the point of managed funds was "If you're a financial d*ckh**d then get our chinless wonders to manage your funds for you." When I lived in London there were usually huge advertisements for this fund and that fund in the stations. Usually they'd give the pictures and names of the fund managers, with Nicola Horlick's picture twice the size of anyone else's, and list how much money they'd made over the last few years. I just thought that it would make sense for funds that had out-performed the property market to include this in their advertising. I haven't seen any such advertising, but that of course does not mean that it doesn't exist. I would have thought that such an argument would have made sense to Joe Public, at least as much as the current advertisements do.

Billy Shears