House Price Crash Forum

Arrested Developments

HOLA441

We have recently moved to Farnborough and are very happy renting, I have been watching a number of new developments in the town we moved from - Woking and where we moved to - Farnborough. Here's a quick overview, but the question is what happens next...

New development in Farnborough - The Cloisters. Massive block of flats on the main road overlooking the railway station. We didn't even consider them when we were looking because they look terrible from the outside. A large selection of the flats are currently on rightmove to rent The Cloisters - rightmove

There is probably a bit of overlap between the agents but when you can rent a 3 bed flat for less money in a nicer road just as close to the station, why would you bother renting these pokey 2 beds?

Next up is Centrum in Woking - I have probably mentioned this one before.

Centrum - modern living, complete with traffic noise and railway announcements

A friend says, the flats are nice enough, it's the platform announcements starting at 5.30am and finishing at 1.30am which are a bit annoying. She is living in the key worker block paying £50 a week to rent.

Waterside Woking

Already touting for business, they haven't even got a propper photo - I suspect it looks a lot worse than the artists impression.

Waterside - 1 bed to rent

This one is even more entertaining, tyring to lure the punters in with fashinable soft funrinshings.

Nice cusions.

The list of newbuild flats up for rent is endless - I kid you not. Righmove currently has at least 60 ranging from expensive to extortionate in woking alone, and they are still building them. Another devlopment in Woking - not sure of the name but consists of 2 tower blocks overlooking Victoria Way and the canal... One block has been completed, the other they seem to have put on hold. The shell is built and watertight, but balconies and interiors are nonexistent.

What happens next. Will the companies behind these developments go bust? Will they hold on until the announced woking station improvements start to have an impact on the number of people wanting to live in Woking. It just looks like utter madness to me at the moment.

HOLA442

What happens next. Will the companies behind these developments go bust? Will they hold on until the announced woking station improvements start to have an impact on the number of people wanting to live in Woking. It just looks like utter madness to me at the moment.

As has been discussed on this board before, I believe that the developers could sell the flats for half the current asking prices and still make a tidy profit on them. The same can't be said for the punters who BTL them concerning rents.

Billy Shears