House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OzzMosiz

When Companies Merge

Hi,

Company I work for his merging with another company (60/40 ownership in favour of other company).

I have some shares (some unvested, some exercisable). What typically happens when companies merge.

I've no experience of owning shares in this situation, can anyone give some advice based on experience?

Cheers :)

Would that be the Alcatel/Lucent deal? :D

Just a guess, because that is 60/40 also. In that case it is an all-share deal, so you will get the parent company shares to the equivalent of your holding.

If I am completely off-the-mark though let me know. Takeovers tend to be for cash or shares, or some for a combination of both, and some have an earnout element also. I don't know what the circumstances are in your case.

Guest boredwaiting

Would that be the Alcatel/Lucent deal? :D

Just a guess, because that is 60/40 also. In that case it is an all-share deal, so you will get the parent company shares to the equivalent of your holding.

If I am completely off-the-mark though let me know. Takeovers tend to be for cash or shares, or some for a combination of both, and some have an earnout element also. I don't know what the circumstances are in your case.

If your holding lucent shares then it can only be a good thing :) Although OFS didn't do very well with the fibre part of the buyout - i hear that all top management there can speak japanese fluently :) - I hope you're french is good.

If it's an all share offer, you will likely receive something through the post soon asking you to approve the deal and to enclose your share certificate. You will then be issued a new share certificate with your shares in the new company. If there are fractions of shares left, these will likely be given to charity or a cheque issued to you for the balance.

If you hold the shares in a nominee account, I'm not sure if you'll have a say. If it all goes ahead, you will likely be required to do nothing and your nominee account will be updated accordingly.

NDL