House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Over Priced Britain Keeps Tourists Away

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm.../03/ixcity.html

Fearful visitors shut door on Britain

By Edmund Conway, Economics Editor (Filed: 03/04/2006)

Britain's tourism industry has slumped faster than any other major country in recent years, according to new figures.
Analysts said the fall could be traced largely to the
strength of the pound
, with other factors including the 9/11 attacks, foot-and-mouth and the Sars epidemic playing an important part.
The number of visitors coming to the UK has fallen on average by more than 2pc since 1998, according to numbers from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.
France's tourism trade also dwarfed the UK's, with 34m visitors in 2004.

I visted Bath a couple of years ago and decided not to see the Roman Bath exhibtion because of the cost--I think it was 7 pounds just to walk around the pool area. I noticed a large group of Japanese exit a coach to enter the Roman Baths area and observed them looking at the pricing information while showing signs of shock on their faces as they walked out to look at other sights in the town. Hampton Court is 15 pounds and the Tower more like 20 I believe. They even charge to go into a church these days--St. Paul's is around 7 pounds also. When visiting Vienna a couple of years ago I seem to recall that the beautfiul and extensive Shaumberg Palace was 5 Euros to enter.

And the Government wonder why tourism is down? Mad Cow disease? :lol::lol::lol:

Guest Guy_Montag

Yeah, I've noticed the same. Prices for these things are just silly - especially if you have a family. Edinburgh Zoo, for example, £10 for an adult, £7 for a kid. So when my parents take my sister & her family that's £54, for an afternoon out! No wonder blue peter badges are worth their weight in gold.

Before we all start applauding La France for her big tourism numbers, I should point out that a large part of the French tourism 'miracle' is down to the fact that a lot of the tourists who 'visit' France are in fact....French.

The French are notorious for taking holidays in their own country - and they have most of the elements required for a good holiday (Alps, beaches) so who can blame them? It is also because they are quite snooty buggers who probably woudn't sully their pieds en allant dans un autre pays pour les vacances. They take the whole of August off, drive down to Cannes and sizzle sur la plage pour une mois. Eventually they all trudge reluctantly back to work (striking) at the start of September...they even have a name for this...'le retour'.

Ever noticed in these resort areas around the world that there is never a 'French' resort? That is right...it is because it is back in France; or in a French territory (e.g. French Guiana, Martinique).

p.s. mind you I agree Britain is too expensive - it is cheaper to go for a all-inclusive week in the Sun that visit rip-off Bath (beautiful though it is...)

I have just come back from a break caving in the mendips and mines of cornwall,

It was pretty expensive everywhere

Roman Baths are now £10 - I did pay and well, ........ compared to London where the museums are free its not that good, at least 'The Circus' is free to look at,

Lots of tourist places are overpriced - but some are great value, Its the overhyped places that are worst.

The other thing that gets me is food and services - Ie I went to Padstow - expecting to get some nice local caught fish Apart from Rick Steins restaurant which was full, every other food place had frozen precooked pub rubbish. Now bear in mind that Padstow has a large harbour and a fish cookery school.

-and....... nearly every shop in cornwall sold fudge, tacky gimmick Cr@p or surf boards, hardly a taste of Cornwall's culture and history.

off topic - I must say I feel really sorry for everyone that 'LIVES' in cornwall, house price are as bad as South London and I know from the local people i spoke too, that wages on average are lower.

I had a look in the windows of many EA's, Bude had atleast 7 different ones,( yet only 2 bakers.)

with many baby boomers looking in the EA's window. The 2 couples i spoke to at the window where looking for 2nd homes for a few weeks holidays a year.

most of the cornish towns I visited had other odd things, like where the hell are all the people my age (late 20's) the only people i saw where either late 40/50 or girls under 20 with pushchairs,

most of the south west seems to becoming the retreat of the london rich or retired.

Edited by Kam

isn't it the most popular destination in the world?

Yeah, but people just go to there to watch the riots...

:lol:

France is very popular with foreign tourists and receives approximately 66,800,000 visitors or 10% of the total annual world figure. This is the most visited country in the world BY FAR!

VIVE LA FRANCE!

Edited by gruffydd

UKInbound (the new name for the British Inbound Tour Operators Association) provide monthly stats and commentary here: http://www.bitoa.co.uk/news.php?from=index...=drill&story=78

--------

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4732056.stm [ 21 February 2006 ]

Attractions see dip in visitors

Top UK tourist attractions saw a dip in visitor numbers as they battled for business in the aftermath of the July London bombings, figures have revealed.

--------

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4577590.stm [ 3 January 2006 ]

Tourists 'keep hands in pockets'

The UK economy is suffering as foreign visitors choose to stay with friends and family, research suggests.

:lol:

France is very popular with foreign tourists and receives approximately 66,800,000 visitors or 10% of the total annual world figure. This is the most visited country in the world BY FAR!

VIVE LA FRANCE!

I like to visit Castles and Abbeys etc. and most in England have been destroyed by our two most famous vandals: Henry VIII and Olly Cromwell. France has many beautiful historic places in good shape and they charge less to see them than we do to walk around a few ruins.

The other thing that gets me is food and services - Ie I went to Padstow - expecting to get some nice local caught fish Apart from Rick Steins restaurant which was full, every other food place had frozen precooked pub rubbish. Now bear in mind that Padstow has a large harbour and a fish cookery school.

I was in a little cafe in West Wales the other week, about 50 yards from the sea that sells fish that they catch each day - had a lovely huge piece of fresh cod in batter, chips, peas and salad for under a fiver plus a mug of tea. I am not going to tell you where it is as I don't want you buggers spoiling it but... that is, IMPO, what the likes of Padstow and others need. Surely someone can set up a rival chippie?

I was in a little cafe in West Wales the other week, about 50 yards from the sea that sells fish that they catch each day - had a lovely huge piece of fresh cod in batter, chips, peas and salad for under a fiver plus a mug of tea. I am not going to tell you where it is as I don't want you buggers spoiling it but... that is, IMPO, what the likes of Padstow and others need. Surely someone can set up a rival chippie?

I won't tell you of a restaurant I know in mid wales that sells only local produce and beats any london restaurant I have eaten in.

Incidentally, I was visiting Padstow too at the weekend. Walked past Steins Seafood Cafe/Deli on the way to the car park. Had a quick look a the menu.... Cod & Chips for over £10!!!!! for one person. Seriously doubt the cod is caught locally either... So we headed home for ham sandwiches on the patio instead... :)

Locally, Padstow is known as Padstein (or Chelsea on Sea)

Edited by Wishful Thinking

I recently had a trip to London to visit some friends. I wanted to go on the London Eye but that has risen from £5 (the first time I went on it) via £8 (the second time) to £13 now. I'd pay £13 for access to a place I'm likely to spend all day in, but not for something that lasts half an hour, only to have to find another big wad of cash for the rest of the day's entertainment.

Just don't go to Legoland Windsor if you don't want to be shocked! Adult day rate is 29 quid, and kids are 23 quid each...ouch!

That's mad! There must be some serious HPI going on in the world of Lego houses too!!

I also wanted to go to the London Planetarium but the only option that seemed to be available was for the whole Tussauds at a cost £20-odd. All I wanted to do was go in the planetarium.

That's mad! There must be some serious HPI going on in the world of Lego houses too!!

I also wanted to go to the London Planetarium but the only option that seemed to be available was for the whole Tussauds at a cost £20-odd. All I wanted to do was go in the planetarium.

I'd visit sooner rather than later if I were you - I heard rumour that the planetarium was being ripped out to make room for Tussauds to expand in to.....I believe the planetarium may move to Grenwich Observatory?

There must be some serious HPI going on in the world of Lego houses too!!

The great thing about a Lego house is that it can be a one-room shack when the council tax valuer comes around, and a sixteen-room castle a few hours after he leaves :).

I went to the planetarium a few years back for same reason,

I paid to get into just the planetarium tho'.........only to sit down to see a dumbed down disney show, I was not happy.

I'd visit sooner rather than later if I were you - I heard rumour that the planetarium was being ripped out to make room for Tussauds to expand in to.....I believe the planetarium may move to Grenwich Observatory?

agreed better visit now at £20 before it's too late. You'll really feel foolish if you have to pay £40 next year or £100 the year after that.

I heard that Tussauds were going to turn the Planetatium into some show about celebs.

agreed better visit now at £20 before it's too late. You'll really feel foolish if you have to pay £40 next year or £100 the year after that.

Maybe, or maybe it'll costs less because you're just paying for the Planetarium as opposed to the whole Tussauds experience.

Are the costs of tourist attractions in the CPI basket??

Yes

On page 20 0f 29 here: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/articles/nojo...basket_2006.pdf

09.4 Recreational and cultural services

09.4.1 Recreational and sporting services

Squash court hire Slimming club fees

Night-club admission Private health club / gym membership

Charges for Exercise classes Ten-Pin bowling session

Golf green fees Horseracing admissions

Evening classes

Admission to football matches, swimming pools, leisure centres, leisure parks and other

attractions

09.4.2 Cultural services

Film processing Digital TV installation fees

Cable TV subscriptions Digital TV subscriptions

Rentals for various types of TV Rentals for video / DVD films

Rentals for DVD and video cassette recorders

Admission to cinemas, theatres, dancing, live music, historic monuments, museums and

other attractions

I am shocked - when someone on this forum mentioned they include the price of hamsters in the CPI figures, I thought it was a joke (a good one at that)

Its f**king true - they DO include hamsters :o:o:o

On a serious note, this is the first time I hae actually seen the basket andI am confident if somebody asked me to come up with a figure - 2% or whatever, there is so much 'flexibility' in this basket, you can make the figures read whatever you want

Edited by 88Crash