LONDON (AFX) - European government bonds fell after a key survey of euro
zone manufacturing activity came in above expectations,
strengthening the
market's conviction that the European Central Bank will raise interest rates
further next month.
The euro zone purchasing managers' index for the manufacturing sector rose
to 56.1 in March from 54.5 in February, the
highest level since September 2000
and well above forecasts for a more modest rise to 55.0.

The worldwide trend forcing IR up up and away is gaining momentum--and a lot quicker than even the ECB expected. :o ( :lol: )

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/03042006/94/uk-man...erformance.html

UK manufacturing activity in March was at its most subdued in seven months, but producers are having more success passing on price rises, according to an industry report released on Monday.

This latest report presents something of a dilemma for the Bank of England as its monetary policy committee prepares to meet this week to discuss the cost of borrowing.

£ is down again today, oil is $67 a barrel again

This is very funny watching the press and other pundits slowly realise that IR's will have to rise.

Bigger picture, reverting back to the mean etc, etc, its not rocket science. :D

TTRTR, "I TOLD YOU SO" :D

"
but producers are having more success passing on price rises
, "

But I thought inflation was not rising in the UK, after factoring out things that go up in price that is? :blink:

:lol::lol::lol:

£ is down again today, oil is $67 a barrel again

This is very funny watching the press and other pundits slowly realise that IR's will have to rise.

Bigger picture, reverting back to the mean etc, etc, its not rocket science. :D

TTRTR, "I TOLD YOU SO" :D

Don't be so sure that the Government via their mates in the BOE will so what is right for this country. I can see them lowering rates first. Gordon Brown will do anything to get into No. 10.

Gordon Brown will do anything to get into No. 10.

And Bliar will do anything to keep him out. There's another story on the front page of one of the papers today with Brown whining about Blair not quitting and trying to keep him out of No 10.

I doubt Brown will ever be PM, he just hasn't accepted that yet.

Edited by MarkG

Either way, I just can't see NuLab's rich backers accepting Brown as PM. In fact I suspect many would like to see a rate rise and house price crash so they can buy the country up cheap now they've sold off their property empires.

And Bliar will do anything to keep him out. There's another story on the front page of one of the papers today with Brown whining about Blair not quitting and trying to keep him out of No 10.

I doubt Brown will ever be PM, he just hasn't accepted that yet.

I think that's true. Blair has bamboozled Brown at every turn. I reckon he'll try and hang on until he can ensure a successor made in his own image (Millburn sounds about right). Of course events might conspire against him to prevent this but if I had to bet on the outcome it'd be on Tony getting what he wants rather than Gordon.

The fun will start when the anointed successor is in place. Seeing how Stalinist NuLab is, I'd guess the government will suddenly 'discover' that Brown's miracle economy was built on sand, discredit him and send him down the memory hole... taking any blame for the crash with him.

The fun will start when the anointed successor is in place. Seeing how Stalinist NuLab is, I'd guess the government will suddenly 'discover' that Brown's miracle economy was built on sand, discredit him and send him down the memory hole... taking any blame for the crash with him.

D'you think they'll airbrush him out of the photos? Especially the ones where he's sitting next to El Presidente in one of their periodic attempts to look chummy?

Sterling is taking a hammering again today, it has broken support below 1.73

Now it's shooting up towards 1.74 :).

I am inclined to agree.

Blair knows that the economy could tank and he wants Brown to stay just where he is to carry the can.

ideal scenario for us FTBs........but Chinese water torture for TTRTR .....is that Irs rise by 1% pa for the next 10 years.........

Can anybody explain why it suddenly shot upwards?

US manufacturing a little light for March--panic hit the currency markets moving the pound 1.5 cents in a few seconds. The world economies are on a knife edge and very jittery. The currency traders are moving on anything that is interest rate sensitive. A lot of people are seeing 2006 as the crash year but they are not sure what is going to crash or where it is going to start. Hong Kong saw new house sales drop 30% this week so that might be a good place for the show to begin.

http://firstrung.co.uk/articles.asp?pageid...articlekey=1618

Edited by Realistbear

Oil goes up and pound starts sliding, then pound rises again yeah i see what you mean!! Maybe they're just trying to stop oil prices rising too quickly with a double whammy caused by interest rate movements... after all they wouldn't want petrol to cost more than 90p a litre - whoops ah well lets just have another windfall tax on those big nasty oil companies!!

As much as I love conspiracy theories, i just don't believe them for real.... makes good reading though!

Todays performance of the pound mirrors what happened on the day after the Fed raised interest rates. It was tanking and I was thinking ... here we go, when suddenly mid-afternnon it starts to rally, could it be that the BOE is intervening to prop the pound up ? They must surely be aware of the danger inherent in a falling pound ? Surely they would do whatever they could to stop it sliding ?

Guest muttley

ideal scenario for us FTBs........but Chinese water torture for TTRTR .....is that Irs rise by 1% pa for the next 10 years.........

Don't bank on it.

http://news.money.msn.co.uk/article.aspx?a...ae=windows-1252

"More relevant issues (for sterling) are how strong growth is elsewhere in Europe in particular and what signals we get about ECB rate hikes, if at all," said Tim Fox, currency strategist at Dresdner Kleinwort Wasserstein.
He said this made the view of a British hike difficult to subscribe to and said the risk was weighted towards an eventual cut in UK rates.
Nineteen of 41 economists polled by Reuters last week see a British rate cut this year. Weak mortgage lending and current account deficit data last week also helped to keep speculation for an eventual cut in British rates alive.

Nineteen of 41 economists polled by Reuters last week see a British rate cut this year. Weak mortgage lending and current account deficit data last week also helped to keep speculation for an eventual cut in British rates alive.

What did the majority say