House Price Crash Forum
Time to raise the rents.

Have Real Rents Fallen Or Risen Over The Past Decade Or So?

rents have not come down since the council sell off. if your going to debate, thats fine, but please TTRTT stop making up utter rubbish.

Fred says rents have not been coming down. You all must be lying to me then. I've been hearing here for 2 years now how cheap it is to rent.

So who is right, you lot, or Fred?

'Real' rents please.

Fred says rents have not been coming down. You all must be lying to me then. I've been hearing here for 2 years now how cheap it is to rent.

'Real' rents please.

There should be some statistics on this somewhere. Stats and indexes can be biased and/or inaccurate, but anecdotal evidence is even worse. But just to give some numbers, in my case, the rents I paid in London over a five year period went up about 11% from beginning to end. That's about 2.2% increase per year. Though the first place I got was a bargain and the latter ones not. So the evidence from my experience is that real rents are not rising.

Billy Shears

Ten years ago I rented a 2-bed house for £500pcm. Today, similar houses are advertised for £625. Can't be arsed to annualise and deflate that, anyone like doing sums?

Ten years ago I rented a 2-bed house for £500pcm. Today, similar houses are advertised for £625. Can't be arsed to annualise and deflate that, anyone like doing sums?

That's pretty much identical price in real terms.

rents have come down slightly from totally outrageous to simply outrageous. only then because no one can afford totally outrageous anymore.

only council and housing association rents bear any reality to local wages.

private rents are always higher - why ?

why ?

what extra do you get ?

noe. ziltch. ditto.

The extra you get is choice, HA and council built in some very dodge area's at least with a private rental property you do get to choose it's location oh and you don't have to wait months for repairs or indeed months to be offered some hell hole in the first place.

In my case, the rents I paid in London over a five year period went up about 11% from beginning to end. That's about 2.2% increase per year. Though the first place I got was a bargain and the latter ones not. So the evidence from my experience is that real rents are not rising.

I forgot to mention that last September the rent I was paying dropped 50% (to the penny) for a like and similar house.

Billy Shears

In London it seems rents have risen above the rate of inflation (wage, not price) but way below the rate of HPI.

[completly anecdotal though, can't give you evidence]

Edited by padders

'Real' rents please.

My rent hasn't risen a penny in 4 years. Even after changing landlords.

My rent hasn't risen a penny in 4 years. Even after changing landlords.

Dinsdale's on the money. Up,until last year I was getting the same rental income as I am now. Before that I was getting the same now as I was then. ffs< iT,S NOT COMPLICATED. wORK IT OUT FOE YOURSELF.

---

I rent a family home. Last year I moved to a new address. In my previous house, the landlord had been charging the same rent since 2001. After I left the property, it was empty for at least 4 months and the landlord had dropped the asking rent by 10%.

rents have collapsed over the last 10 years - last time I rented in London, I got almost twice as much flat as I'd got 4 years earlier in the same street, and teh landlowrd was glad to have us.

TTRTR as always, is talking complete crud.

Rent has remained the same for last 6 years

Went from quite cheap to really really cheap as my pay has gone up by around 130% in the same period :)

I let a flat in Southwark to corporate tenants in 2000-2001 at £150 per week. The quoting rents in the selfsame development are, six years later, £160 per week.

rents have collapsed over the last 10 years - last time I rented in London, I got almost twice as much flat as I'd got 4 years earlier in the same street, and teh landlowrd was glad to have us.

TTRTR as always, is talking complete crud.

I think you have misread my post. I do think rents have fallen, in at least real terms. You also seem to think it. So you're either talking crud with me, or you just have trouble saying you agree with me.

My rent has been the same for four years. I live in Eastbourne in a 2 bed flat. Rents now seem to be falling due to the huge new supply of 2 bed flats being built here.

This thread was a response to right freds deads thread yesterday saying that BTL should be banned. I was arguing that it has helped tenants by creating a more competetive market with better standards & better prices for the higher standard.

In escence, free competition creates a better market.

RFD wants councils to take over all lettings. What a nightmare that would create for tenants. But I suspect he was just having the forum on for a laugh or really is a teenage communist.

Edited by Time to raise the rents.

I rent out my 1bd flat in Glasgow for 450 quid per month. When I first started renting it out in 1999, price was 400 quid per month. Pretty much constant when inflation is accounted for, or a little lower.

First tenant was there 4 years, second has been there for 3, with only a couple of weeks gap while it got painted. I think I could get a bit more for it, but my costs are covered and I'd rather keep a good long term tenant than try and snag and extra 100 quid or so a month.