House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Beans-on-Toast Britain

Ea Hit By Armed Robbery

It says the robber got away with a “substantial amount of cash”, which seems mighty strange to me. Unless the EA had just done a “cash” deal for a house, and the buyer's mate decided to get a refund.

Even the dumbest robber wouldn’t hit an EA unless he had some info about cash being held on the premises. I’d imagine that your average newsagents would keep more cash on the premises than an EA.

Under what circumstances would the EA keep large amounts of cash, has anyone here made a cash payment to an EA? It has to be doing something dodgy, like a slush fund for backhanders, or paying staff in cash to avoid tax etc.

Yeah, I know it’s off-topic, but am just curious if there is a legit reason an EA would have a large wad of cash on the premises. Perhaps if they did lettings there'd be a bit of cash but I can't see it being that much, as most people would pay a deposit by cheque.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_y...ire/4869610.stm

"Staff threatened in agency raid

A robber has escaped with a substantial amount of cash after an armed raid at an estate agents in York.

The man threatened staff with a knife at Hunters on York Road in Acomb before getting away on foot.

He is described as slim, in his early 40s, with poor teeth and wore large round glasses and a fluorescent yellow waist-coat-style jacket.

He was last seen running along School Street. Detectives are appealing for witnesses to come forward."

It says the robber got away with a “substantial amount of cash”, which seems mighty strange to me. Unless the EA had just done a “cash” deal for a house, and the buyer's mate decided to get a refund.

Even the dumbest robber wouldn’t hit an EA unless he had some info about cash being held on the premises. I’d imagine that your average newsagents would keep more cash on the premises than an EA.

Under what circumstances would the EA keep large amounts of cash, has anyone here made a cash payment to an EA? It has to be doing something dodgy, like a slush fund for backhanders, or paying staff in cash to avoid tax etc.

Yeah, I know it’s off-topic, but am just curious if there is a legit reason an EA would have a large wad of cash on the premises. Perhaps if they did lettings there'd be a bit of cash but I can't see it being that much, as most people would pay a deposit by cheque.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_y...ire/4869610.stm

"Staff threatened in agency raid

A robber has escaped with a substantial amount of cash after an armed raid at an estate agents in York.

The man threatened staff with a knife at Hunters on York Road in Acomb before getting away on foot.

He is described as slim, in his early 40s, with poor teeth and wore large round glasses and a fluorescent yellow waist-coat-style jacket.

He was last seen running along School Street. Detectives are appealing for witnesses to come forward."

Back-hander

Back-hander

Don't be conspiratorial.

Rental deposits and float. People will rob anyone for anything and an EA is a very soft target and there's cash on the premises and a low likelihood of CCTV...... even Mr Kipper knew that.

Most robberies get away with less than £250.....

Edited by Rachman

I would never pay a rental deposit in cash, we did leave £100 for carpet cleaning with the EA's though, perhaps it was a disgruntled customer who wasn't really interested in the money just wanted to terrorise the bastards.

Don't be conspiratorial.

Rental deposits and float. People will rob anyone for anything and an EA is a very soft target and there's cash on the premises and a low likelihood of CCTV...... even Mr Kipper knew that.

Most robberies get away with less than £250.....

Deffo a back-hander. Someone got a mate to get their dosh bck for em. Simpul.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Maybe the robber mistook the Ea for an engineer.

It's an easy mistake to make.

Tut tut muttley, what can you be implying? :)

:blink::blink::blink::huh:

Not hard to spot then!

with poor teeth and wore large round glasses and a fluorescent yellow waist-coat-style jacket.

Elton John??

Estate agents would never receive the money for a purchase even if it is 'cash', simply not their job.

Money laundering regulations also make it very difficult to do anything with large lumps of cash as the recipient will also have to explain where it came from.

As others have suggested it is more likely that there was money on the premises due to a lettings department. As to how much a substantial amount is is anybody's guess.

Kenny Everett?

Thought he was dead? Criminal career in the afterlife?

Guest Bart of Darkness

Faking your death to rob EAs later ... that old trick. :lol:

I always said his eyes were too close together.

That's a comedy description, they forgot to mention his large black sack with the word "swag" written on it.

Tough trading, last ditch insurance job? I wouldn't put anything past scheming EA's.

Edited by BuyingBear

Guest Bart of Darkness
That's a comedy description, they forgot to mention his large black sack with the word "swag" written on it.

:lol::lol::lol:

Burglar.jpg

What about if its one of these ones that actually runs a counter for a building society? Is it the halifax that does this?