House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
the end is a bit nigher

Did Anyone Hear

young lady in the studio went off on one about 20 and 30 somethings being priced out of the housing market and 40+ somethings thinking their house is their pension BUT they would be smirking on the other side of their faces as prices come down

this isn't the first time i have heard this sort of comment on 5 - seems like realisation has set in amongst the younger generation that they are funding other people's retirements

maybe it's time some of the bulls started working for a living and actually saving money / building a pension rather than relying on the younger generations to give them free money for sitting on their fat 'arris's

maybe it's time some of the bulls started working for a living and actually saving money / building a pension rather than relying on the younger generations to give them free money for sitting on their fat 'arris's

cant do that. its better instead to call YOU ungrateful for not paying 200% HPI to fund them for free.

and this is the truth. anecdotal. mates mum. no pension at all. no savings at all. did blue collar jobs and ended up buying the council house for 45k in around 96/7. wants to sell now for £140k. needs to sell for £140k as the extra £95k inflation is needed for the pension. which she didnt save. and she expects it.

in other words. she wants the young to find her retirement.

As my paranoid thought for the day, does the government know what it is doing concerning its reluctance to ***** the housing balloon. If these people do not have the young to pay for their pension, then the government will have to pay out more. With an aging population, it will take considerably raised taxes to support people in their old age. Such taxes would be very unpopular, and hence the inflated property market does part of the government's job for it without the government having to take responsibility for it.

Billy Shears

cant do that. its better instead to call YOU ungrateful for not paying 200% HPI to fund them for free.

and this is the truth. anecdotal. mates mum. no pension at all. no savings at all. did blue collar jobs and ended up buying the council house for 45k in around 96/7. wants to sell now for £140k. needs to sell for £140k as the extra £95k inflation is needed for the pension. which she didnt save. and she expects it.

in other words. she wants the young to find her retirement.

What is she planning to live in, during this "funded" retirement?

young lady in the studio went off on one about 20 and 30 somethings being priced out of the housing market and 40+ somethings thinking their house is their pension BUT they would be smirking on the other side of their faces as prices come down

this isn't the first time i have heard this sort of comment on 5 - seems like realisation has set in amongst the younger generation that they are funding other people's retirements

As a humble 26 yr old I would just like to point out that we will have the last laugh.

You see sooner or later my generation will get control of parliament, and when that day comes justice will be served ;)

I wonder what would happen to Blairs generation if we decide to retrospectively add tution fees & top fees & scrap grants.

We can work out the amount Blair would owe, add interest, and take it out of his pension. Fairs fair.....

Guest Cletus VanDamme

I wonder what would happen to Blairs generation if we decide to retrospectively add tution fees & top fees & scrap grants.

We can work out the amount Blair would owe, add interest, and take it out of his pension. Fairs fair.....

That is such a great idea! Seriously, this could be the policy that gets young people interested in politics again. A windfall tax on the NuBoomers. It's easily justifiable, given that NuLabour are always justifying lumping the next generation with all the debt. 15 years ago, believe it or not, as a student, it was also possible to claim Housing Benefit during term time and Income Support in the summer holidays, so we should claw that back too. I can picture the budget speech by the Chancellor of the HoodieParty:

'Over the last 40 years a large proportion of society have benefitted from free healthcare, free higher eduction, copper-bottomed pension schemes, and house price inflation. It's time for this section of society to put something back in, and to compensate our generation for the huge debts they bestowed on us. From 5 April next year, I propose to the house that retrospective tax will come into force ... tuition and top up fees of £6000 per year, plus the housing benefit and Income Support that was paid, plus interest at BoE base rate, will be liable by those who benefited from it.

I commend this budget to the House. ' <hear> <hear>

As a humble 26 yr old I would just like to point out that we will have the last laugh.

You see sooner or later my generation will get control of parliament, and when that day comes justice will be served ;)

Actually our generation will not be in control of anything (not for half a century at least), pensioners now out number students and once the boomers retire en masse over the next few years the balance will be even more skewed, they also have twice the propensity to vote compared to young people.

Look at the election last year for example, pensioners received a £200 bung and students received £3k a year in tuition fees'.

The raw numbers don't look good, and we're being asked to foot the bill, that's another reason to leave.

What time was this btw? You can't expect us to listen to 3 hours worth of 5Live 'txt in' bilge just for a snippet :)

Ahh... about 5 minutes in.

Edited by BuyingBear