House Price Crash Forum
right_freds_dead

No Culture Please, Were British.

no culture please, were british.

whats all this talk of british spirit. this place with the really great sence of humour. the fun place to be. the pleasant isles. the funky cool britania. the queen. traddition. education. our blessed health service. our pension security. our sportsmanship. our sense of fair play. our unshakability. our inventiveness.

cackamella.!!

this country is down the pan. we live under 37% general taxation. live in smaller dwellings than eastern europe or turkey. its incredibly violent. boring and full of pikeys. benefit cheats. car boot cd copying chavettes. thats without even mentioning house prices. where are all the leafy frendly fair play britishers with the lifting of their bowler hats...? the closest i come to in quality british culture is watching a 'house inflation profit salavating' alan titchmarsh boasting about how nice devon is, when i havent a hope in hell of living in anything even like that. for me, england is like grimsby - not devon. the people are not like mr a. titchmarsh. real british people are like sean mad-dog mcguire and the ulster freedom 'fighters'.....boring sack headed, meathead bullies.

i went 'out' last night. to see this great place and found it to be dull, boring and posturing in a northern monkey town. cheap watches and expensive pink HK shirts. boring boring boring. people sat not talking, not being social. just sipping silly little blue drinks, texting, camera phoning. while coarse northern women posh spiced about the place looking sulty. like the plot characters of a daz soap packet. note to self. this is boring. very boring. nothing to see . nothing to do. no cafes. no culture. nothing new. same tired monkeys. same tired pubs. newer monthly fashions is all that changes.

with all that poor quality life in mind.

what is it that drives the desire to live here and pay so much for it.??

nothing..!!!

...and this proves that this whole house price set up is a HUGE scam.

there is little of value in the north west, little culture and even less quality life in these regional satellite towns to justify these new £180k 3 bed semi prices. its not driven by desire as they would have you believe. its not the 'lifestyle' choice thats so cool. the uber city living. the rooting of family ties. the action of shelling out the equivelent of 4x brand new ferraris for a 2 bed terrace in brighouse is a scam. your being ripped pal as you have no choice. they have you.

this isnt st tropez. this is 7c in april. this isnt desireable. this is a wholesale forced rip off from the reasurring lullaby of auntie bbc, all the way up to number 11 downing st and the iron chancellor and his no more boom and bust economy. theres nothing in chorley to justify £140k for a scabby terrace. there just isnt. but we are forced to.

and they are lovin it.

are you ?

im not. this place is well sh1t.

it was good not too long ago. its really died.

ps. im adding to this rant as it goes along..

Edited by right_freds_dead

i don't think there is much value living anywhere in the uk - perhaps the grass is always greener, but until you try you don't know. where is a GOOD place to live in the world?

while we're lamenting on how being 'british' is no longer something to be proud of, it's funny how foreign tv shows still present us in our former good mannered stereotype. i bet a lot of tourists are shocked when they come here and realise what a dump it is!

i bet a lot of tourists are shocked when they come here and realise what a dump it is!

they will wonder where all the manners and friendliness went.

the country is full of pugs.

the country is full of pugs.

What is a pug?

I thought it was a little dog.

Strange choice of words, I laughed out loud and dribbled down my chin when I read that sentence.

Sorry.....

What is a pug?

I thought it was a little dog.

Strange choice of words, I laughed out loud and dribbled down my chin when I read that sentence.

Sorry.....

could have meant 'pig'

the other option, and don't know if this is a colloquialism, but pug = pug ugly (because they are) = ugly - so everyone is ugly?

You're dead-right Freddie - I loved the bit about drinking silly blue drinks and not talking - I don't go out much these days other than once in a while someone phones up and suggests a night out, which usually features loads of posers dressed up in cr** sitting around drinking shit* and not talking.

And having lived in S England, E Scotland and S and W Wales, I see loads of depressing similarities. Time to emigrate me thinks.

Pug´-faced`

a. 1. Having a face like a monkey or a pug; monkey-faced.

I suppose 'John Bull' was pug faced.

Edited by gruffydd

OOOooooh, that's so harsh, I love it where I live.

Have to say, I cannot fathom why anyone would pay the prices in London to live in such a pit - dirty, smelly, unfriendly and vastly overpriced. I wouldn't live there for any amount of money - have done in the past and detested it. YUCKSVILLE

(btw, I know the answer is jobs)

Edited by Glitterygook2

Fred,

Well I sympathise I really do, but I can't help but think that perhaps you would feel a bit happier down in Devon - as far as I am concerned it really is 'grim up north'...the South West of England is pretty special IMO, and not like the rest of England - just like Northern and Southern France are different.

...come down to Devon Fred...you would always be welcome at mine. Try and ignore the influx of moneyed-shits from London, and instead enjoy a still very real sense of locality and community. Remember, we may be Southerners, but we are as far away from London as you are.

Unfortunately Devon and the South West is under assault from a gaggle of 'lifestyle' seeking sh1ts from the South East who are hell bent on destroying the very things they are coming down to Devon for (community, quiet, nice countryside etc..)...clutching their brand new 800 quid surfboards as they clog up the beaches, sending prices sky-high in housing as they greedily snap up properties in formerly quiet country villages.

Fred,

Well I sympathise I really do, but I can't help but think that perhaps you would feel a bit happier down in Devon - as far as I am concerned it really is 'grim up north'...the South West of England is pretty special IMO, and not like the rest of England - just like Northern and Southern France are different.

...come down to Devon Fred...you would always be welcome at mine. Try and ignore the influx of moneyed-shits from London, and instead enjoy a still very real sense of locality and community. Remember, we may be Southerners, but we are as far away from London as you are.

Unfortunately Devon and the South West is under assault from a gaggle of 'lifestyle' seeking sh1ts from the South East who are hell bent on destroying the very things they are coming down to Devon for (community, quiet, nice countryside etc..)...clutching their brand new 800 quid surfboards as they clog up the beaches, sending prices sky-high in housing as they greedily snap up properties in formerly quiet country villages.

If you really do think it's grim up north you've clearly never been to The Lakes, The Peak District, The Dales...

I always find it funny when Brits joke about how America has no culture.

What is British culture in the 21st century?

- getting drunk in 'bars'

- Premiership football

- obsessing over property and interior design

- buying goods to boost ones 'status'

That is it.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Regretfully I have to agree with Fred and tonification 100%.

:(

bust economy. theres nothing in chorley to justify £140k for a scabby terrace. there just isnt. but we are forced to.

But what about Chorley FM Fred?

chorleyfm.jpg

I totally agree Britain is finished, our culture has been completely destroyed by greed and poor education. It all changed around 1977 in my opinion, from there its been a down hill slope.

Before then it was possible to live a simple life, wages were crap but bills were managable. Every park had its own parker keeper, hospitals had enough nurses and every suburb, village and town had ample coppers walking the beat. Trains & Buses were affordable and our roads were free. Dentists were free & no prescription charges.

Towns and markets were full of independent traders and eveyone pulled together.

2006 = parking tickets, speeding fines, £1000.00 per year council tax, fuel prices, VAT on domestic fuel, ASBOs, train travel costs a fortune, Tolls on roads etc.

Yet we're told no pensions, retire at 70, NHS is skint, police can't cope...etc So where's the money going.

What the hell is going on, it's all complete cr** thats what it is. We're all being fiddled and there using all our money on stupid wars and building a huge police force to kick the crap out of us when we start to protest.

They are spending our money on ID cards not to prevent terrorism but to keep tags on us to make sure we obey their rules and work hard. New laws to stop us protesting and even talking about certain subjects.

I'm off to find myself a bit of land somewhere and build my own eco house. I'll filter my own water, generate my own heat and electric and grow my own food. Basically why buy a house here anyway, its a mental institution.

So where's the money going.

To Tony's cronies. We've had nine years of economic looting by NuLab, stealing money from the middle class to give to chavs, 'safety camera partnerships' and 'diversity consultants'.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

i think it went in late 1970s to. before that there was respect for the crown.

was it the punks that started it ?

How different were the sixties, everybody who lived through that period loved it. It was a time when everything looked bright, come the eighties and the downturn took off. :(

How different were the sixties, everybody who lived through that period loved it. It was a time when everything looked bright, come the eighties and the downturn took off.

i missed the 60s but i am old enough to remember the general ordinary happiness of the 70s. after that it all was about greed and self and its just festered without correction. cheeriness seems to have gone out the window. its all about being sullen. like pete doherty from babyshambles. and heroin.

To Tony's cronies. We've had nine years of economic looting by NuLab, stealing money from the middle class to give to chavs, 'safety camera partnerships' and 'diversity consultants'.

This has nothing to do with politics its a more like a George Orwell Conspiracy, don't blame labour as labour isn't labour anymore....not since John Smith. You really think the conservatives would make any difference...they are almost identical to labour.

Voting is about as effective as wiping your **** with a dirty nappy. They are all controlled by big business and we don't have a say at all. A new world order is emerging and a world controlled by ignorance and lies, spread by huge companies with hidden agendas. The ministry of truth is spreading lies and everyone believes it.

You talk about middle class...what the hell is that. Middle of what, its a label to make you feel better than someone else. So you're middle class, exactly what makes you middle class and someone else working class.

I'm a heating engineer but earn more then most lawyers and I work hard for my cash..so am I working class.

I think it was Thatcher and her chronies sold us down the river, I'm a tradesman and the thatcher years wages went through the floor. But thanks to the tories lack of commitment to training and apprenticeships we are getting our own back now.

So you're middle class, exactly what makes you middle class and someone else working class.

There is no working class anymore in the traditional sense. There's the welfare class, the middle class and the upper class (determined more by political pull than money, these days).

The middle class are the people who aren't on the dole but aren't rich enough or politically connected enough to avoid paying much in the way of taxes.

Spot on Fred, we met up with some freinds today, and their two daughters with their babies.Talking to the husband [who is from Manchester] of one of the daughters. He said a mate of his had just come back to the UK for a visit as he is now living in Europe. And it was not untill he saw an episode of "SHAMELESS" that he had never seen before. That he realised why he had left the UK in the first place.

The husband [a school teacher] of the other Daughter [also a school teacher] was not there as he was at home preparing for an OFSTED inspection at the school he taught at. His Wife said OFSTED used to give schools five days notice but it is down to three days now. She said when she was a school teacher prior to having her babies, the school she worked at packed thirty disruptive kids of on a field trip prior to the OFSTED inspection. :ph34r: She taught in a school up Hartlepool way like her husband, but they have since moved house Ripon/Thirsk way as she did not want to bring her kids up in that enviroment.

Edited by Catch22

its not so much the environment, more so the society that lives in it.

people may be feeling bad as places like chorley will never be the texting cool places like nevada or hammersmith.

the good things a town like chorley has are not fashionable. quiet. pie eating. coarse fishing market towns. ruined by planners into a decaying hybrid super town with large drive to b&q. a modern bus station set against rows of crumbling terraces. why not just restore the glory and call it chorley. why does every town have to be happening.

if people want cool. well move to london or manchester or something.

Edited by right_freds_dead

What is British culture in the 21st century?

Some favorites of mine, in no particular order:

• Christmas pantos

• Lovely old pubs

• The Walthamstow dogs

• Canal boat holidays

• Bonfire night

• Tikka masala

• Crusty hippy types at Glastonbury

• Cornish pasties

• Morris dancing

• The Edinburgh Fringe

frugalista