House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bingley Bloke

What Is Stone Worth?

I live with my GF in her house (I'm a sort of lodger with special privileges) and we have a 20 metre (approx) dry stone wall running the length of the side of the property. Unfortunately we have a public right of way on the other side of the wall and find that we are always on the receiving end of vandalism... the lastest incident is the knocking down of part of the wall. We have decided that we may have a two metre breeze block wall built in place of the dry stone wall and were wondering if it would be worth selling the stone to try and offset some of the cost. What is stone worth and who may want to buy it?

What is stone worth and who may want to buy it?

Unfortunately, stone is very expensive at the moment due to the new economic paradigm we have entered. In order to value stone, you need to apply the equity pricing dividend discount model - You need to calculate the rental income from a place the stone can build, far far into the unforseeable future. Anyone who believes in new paradigms and replaced economic models may want to borrow insane amounts of money from the bank to buy it.

Your dry stone wall, especially if original and in a traditional vernacular style, may have significant architectural and cultural significance and therefore the pricing model may need an additional adjustment for “cultural capital” or “heritage” value. I do think that patching with breezeblocks would probably be a mistake, though, maybe rebuild and strengthen with lime mortar?

I do think that patching with breezeblocks would probably be a mistake, though, maybe rebuild and strengthen with lime mortar?

I'm not talking about patching with breezeblocks, I'm talking about replacing the entire wall. The stone one is about one meter high, so does nothing to prevent sticks, stones rubbish, etc. being thrown into the garden and at the windows and my car – A regular occurrence. The plan is to replace the dry stone wall with a two metre breeze block wall and sell the stones from the dry stone wall to recoup some of the expense. Hence my question, 'what is stone worth?' Is this viable?

It seems a shame to discard something that is obviously a traditional part of the landscape to replace it with cheap nasty stuff from B&Q or Wickes – why not just grow a hedge?

It seems a shame to discard something that is obviously a traditional part of the landscape to replace it with cheap nasty stuff from B&Q or Wickes – why not just grow a hedge?

You'd have to live here to understand. We're right next to a crappy estate and most of the people in our street are too wound up with their kids to care what their properties look like, so it hardly matters whether our wall looks nice or not. We've had a lot of damage done by vandals so security is more important than aesthetics. Growing a hedge would be an option, but we'd have to remove the wall first to make room for it and that would leave us exposed for as long as the hedge takes to grow. Frankly I hope we, or I, have moved by then.

Lucky B&stard, nice privileges

Yeah, the 'privileges' are good, but I have to pay 'rent' and she earns a lot less than me so I pay more than her for everything. Basically, if she gets fed up of me I'm on the street with no claim to any of the property and the shittiest rental properties to choose from. Not exactly a secure situation – Hence why I'm relying on a gargantuan payrise or a HPC so I can afford to buy myself some security.

Yeah, the 'privileges' are good, but I have to pay 'rent' and she earns a lot less than me so I pay more than her for everything. Basically, if she gets fed up of me I'm on the street with no claim to any of the property and the shittiest rental properties to choose from. Not exactly a secure situation – Hence why I'm relying on a gargantuan payrise or a HPC so I can afford to buy myself some security.

oh right so not a long term secure relationship? enjoy the priviliges while they last

oh right so not a long term secure relationship? enjoy the priviliges while they last

Well it's been a few years, but she won't entertain the idea of joint property ownership as she's worried about being ripped-off. It's a shame really. She could sell up and we could find somewhere for twice the amount of equity she's got. She could put down her cash as a 50% deposit and own her half outright and I could get a mortgage to buy the other 50%. She would be mortgage-free and I would be on the property ladder without having to find a deposit. She won't have it though. She wants it all to be hers so she's guaranteed a roof over hear head whatever happens to us.

:lol:

BB, I'd squirrel your cash away somewhere else - check out the investment threads. Make sure your pension and investments are all yours, and take an active role in contraceptive arrangements!

Neither of you sound particularly committed to this relationship, so I can see why she'd be reluctant for the pair of you to be more financially entwined. I know a chap who seems, on the face of it, to have used his then girlfriend as a means of getting on the property ladder using her equity for a shared place. Don't think she's too happy about it. The fact he's just blown the lot on a sports car can't help.

btp

Edited by backtoparents

Well it's been a few years, but she won't entertain the idea of joint property ownership as she's worried about being ripped-off. It's a shame really. She could sell up and we could find somewhere for twice the amount of equity she's got. She could put down her cash as a 50% deposit and own her half outright and I could get a mortgage to buy the other 50%. She would be mortgage-free and I would be on the property ladder without having to find a deposit. She won't have it though. She wants it all to be hers so she's guaranteed a roof over hear head whatever happens to us.

Sound like a right fiesty persistant lady.

:lol:

BB, I'd squirrel your cash away somewhere else - check out the investment threads. Make sure your pension and investments are all yours, and take an active role in contraceptive arrangements!

It's difficult to save much as I'm pretty much subsidising her since she gave up a well-paid job due to stress. We do already have an agreement that I take joint responsibility for contraceptive arrangements, so we're as safe as we can be there!

Neither of you sound particularly committed to this relationship, so I can see why she'd be reluctant for the pair of you to be more financially entwined.

We're in a bit of a stalemate. She had her fingers burned before by someone who put in less than half but then took half, but I'm offering any legal agreement she wants to ensure that she gets out what she puts in, so there's no reason for her to mistrust me. The difficulty is... I was 100% committed, but she has been so apprehensive and unwilling to take steps towards a more committed state-of-play that I have had to start looking at making extra security provisions for myself to reflect the fact that she's offering no guarantees. That has made me appear less than 100% committed to her and exacerbated her state of being less than 100% committed to me. It's a difficult one that I don't know how to resolve.

Sound like a right fiesty persistant lady.

You aint kidding!