House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
trompe le monde

Bbc Says: Bills 'deter First-time Buyers'

Well, actually, house prices are the number TWO reason for me.

I'll let you guys guess the number ONE reason.

...it's like the HPCers are living in an alternative world with all this VI bullsh*t coming out of the real world.

When the HPC finally hits there will be surprised reactions from the press.

We will probably get a film/documentary made about it telling us how everything was manipulated in the media and the money markets!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4866714.stm

undoubtedly partially true, but not the overriding reason, one imagines. However, if even only partly true, it restricts options to buy even further.

TLM

Where as most renters don't have those bills?

Maybe more young people are realising how much more fun it is renting with mates, sharing the bills and enjoying themselves, rather than getting on the mortgage slave train!

I agree its pathetic - FTBs can't afford a £250k one bed flat which would require a mortgage of at least £1400 per month because their council tax each month has gone up £4 since last year!

I would say house prices are the main deterrent for me, but bills are also a major consideration. You're forced by law to pay council tax and water, and you have little choice in paying for gas and electricity too. Unsurprisingly, and some may say, suspiciously, these are the four expenses that rise most rapidly, so they would definitely figure heavily in my calculatons before buying my own home. I would most likely opt to buy a home that's cheaper to heat and would not be hard to sell on later if I had a water meter installed.

the bbc are sunk to the gunnels on this whole housing issue. it makes me doubt the quality of any othher news. are they just subtly controlling the masses ? i certainly dont feel its as independent as it should be.

last week they said the death of diy wasnt house inflation either. anything to convince remaining victims that the recent 200%+ house inflation is A-ok.

total w@nkers really.

Water industry should never have been privatised IMO. At least for gas/elec you can change supplier. Can't do that for water. Whatever watchdog they may have seems uninterested/unable to make water companies upgrade their pipe network (so much wasted) or invest in more reservoirs (two half-full reservoirs makes one full one by my maths). Instead they rack up the cost citing shortages - nice.

Water industry should never have been privatised IMO. At least for gas/elec you can change supplier. Can't do that for water. Whatever watchdog they may have seems uninterested/unable to make water companies upgrade their pipe network (so much wasted) or invest in more reservoirs (two half-full reservoirs makes one full one by my maths). Instead they rack up the cost citing shortages - nice.

I don't think fuel and water should have been sold off. It is a licence to take advantage.

Well, actually, house prices are the number TWO reason for me.

I'll let you guys guess the number ONE reason.

I was going to say "absence of wage inflation".

the bbc are sunk to the gunnels on this whole housing issue. it makes me doubt the quality of any othher news. are they just subtly controlling the masses ? i certainly dont feel its as independent as it should be.

last week they said the death of diy wasnt house inflation either. anything to convince remaining victims that the recent 200%+ house inflation is A-ok.

total w@nkers really.

I'm currently reading an excellent book called "The Guardians Of Power",

http://www.medialens.org/bookshop/guardians_of_power.php

It's written by the guys at Media Lens,

http://www.medialens.org/

It's primarily concerned with foreign policy and the media's, including the so called impartial BBCs, reporting. I think a lot of the arguments could equally be applied to their reporting on the housing market. The thrust of the book covers your point right_freds_dead - "i certainly dont feel its as independent as it should be". The book contains correspondence between the authors and key mainstream journalists. They argue that there doesn't need to be a national media conspiracy.,....

"What Andrew Marr, like others, 'doesn't get' is that dissident arguments do not depend on conspiratorial self-censorship, but on a filter system maintained by free market forces - bottom-line pressures, owner influence, parent company goals and sensitivities, advertiser needs, business friendly government influence and corporate PR 'flak' - which introduce bias by marginalising alternatives, providing incentives to conform and costs for failure to conform"

Chomsky - "I don't say you're self censoring. I'm sure you believe everything you're saying. But what I'm saying is, if yo believed something different you wouldn't be sitting where you're sitting"

Although these comments are written in relation to foreign policy I'm sure many of these arguments hold across each section of the paper, including property. It's the VI stuff we see.

Sorry if I've gone off on one here but reading the book has made by tube journeys fly by and it helps me interpret what would otherwise be frustrating stories B)

"

I had to laugh when I read this too, council tax and bill are peanuts compared to mortgage payments.

Certainly. But council tax for me is roughly equal to a months salary. Gas, electricity and water set me back another two months salary while communting to work and back costs another two months for me and my strife.

If my strife earned as much as I do we would in effect, be spending a quarter of houshold earnings on bills and getting to work and another quarter on rent.

Bear in mind that 50% of our income is already spent before any spending on clothing, food and other essentials. That would not leave very much for the additional cost of a mortgage, the insurance that goes with it and the cost of maintaining the property.

Now how did things come to be like this? Well it might not sound like much to say that theres another £6.50 on the council tax every month. It might not sound like much if the cost of a weekly train ticket is up by £3.50 a week. Not compared to the cost of a decent freehold eh?

But the fact is that year after year of inflation-busting increases in the price of so many essentials means that an average young couple have £1000s if not £10,000s less money in their pockets than they otherwise would have had.

THAT is discouraging for FTBs.

Guest Cletus VanDamme

Where as most renters don't have those bills?

Maybe more young people are realising how much more fun it is renting with mates, sharing the bills and enjoying themselves, rather than getting on the mortgage slave train!

'Sharing the bills and enjoying themselves', an oxymoron.

Have you ever lived in a shared house when the utility bills arrive? It's not 'ooh, Johnny, those lovely bills have arrived, come on everyone, we'll open them together and we'll all share'.

No, it's: 'well, I don't cook much so I'm not paying any gas', 'I don't use the phone', 'My girlfriend and I share a room, so we count as one', 'I don't pay council tax, I'm not on the Electoral Roll'.

Getting away from all that sh1t was a major reason for getting my own place.

'Sharing the bills and enjoying themselves', an oxymoron.

Have you ever lived in a shared house when the utility bills arrive? It's not 'ooh, Johnny, those lovely bills have arrived, come on everyone, we'll open them together and we'll all share'.

No, it's: 'well, I don't cook much so I'm not paying any gas', 'I don't use the phone', 'My girlfriend and I share a room, so we count as one', 'I don't pay council tax, I'm not on the Electoral Roll'.

Getting away from all that sh1t was a major reason for getting my own place.

Too true. I think any shared rental needs all these rules being put down from the start! My mate left his rental place when his flatmate 'allowed' his otherhalf to live there - nothing was ever contributed towards the bills!