House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
trompe le monde

Japanese Jobless Rate Plunges

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/...2113579,00.html

JAPAN’S unemployment rate plunged by its biggest monthly margin since records began to hit a near eight-year low of 4.1 per cent, providing investors with hard evidence that recovery in the world’s second-biggest economy is now safely established.

The drop came despite a massive surge in the size of the Japanese working population, which grew by 170,000 people in February as the nation’s housewives threw themselves into the booming retail-led job market.

The unemployment news was accompanied by official releases showing consumer prices on the rise for a fourth straight month and winter bonuses increasing for a second straight year. Both reports, analysts said, confirmed that the Bank of Japan had probably been right to declare an end to Japan’s seven-year battle with deflation earlier in March and end its policy of quantitative easing.

Government bonds fell as investors judged that the continuing improvement in the Japanese economy makes it increasingly likely that the Band of Japan will soon end its zero interest-rate policy.

Richard Jerram, Macquarie chief economist, said that the signs were now very good for the domestic, demand-driven recovery, adding that the transmission system from corporate growth to wage growth to higher consumer spending was now clearly on track.

LAND OF RISES

# Fiscal 2005 marked the second annual advance in winter bonuses, which rose 1 per cent and marked the first back-to-back gain in nearly a decade

# Average land prices in Japan’s three biggest cities (Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya) rose in February for the first time since 1990

# Wages rose 0.4 per cent in February, the fifth month of gains since September

# February imports rose by the largest margin since 1994

# Nikkei Index at highest level in five years and seven months

# Tokyo Stock Exchange trading hit an all-time record high in FY2005

# February retail sales up by the largest year-on-year margin in eight months

my bold highlighting - will be interesting to see when these rate rises appear and how global sentiment on IRs will take this.

TLM

Interesting commentary tlm.

I think it will be a good few months before western economies start to notice and react to this but the seeds are sown.

btw I may not be the first to say this, but I dig your eye

AS

Interesting commentary tlm.

I think it will be a good few months before western economies start to notice and react to this but the seeds are sown.

btw I may not be the first to say this, but I dig your eye

AS

You are the first, and thank you - Pixies fans will get the connection.

My attempts to peer through the obfuscating BS, to the hidden truths below....

TLM

I think the eye is pretty cool too. "The all-seeing eye can penetrate even the smokiest spin..."

I also misread your username as "Pompe le Monde" which I thought was rather forward. :lol:

;)

I think the eye is pretty cool too. "The all-seeing eye can penetrate even the smokiest spin..."

I also misread your username as "Pompe le Monde" which I thought was rather forward. :lol:

;)

ta Badlad - no, I think Blair and Bush share that one.....

;)

TLM

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/060331/323/g7y7c.html

Japan Feb housing starts rise 13.7 pct yr-on-yr, ahead of market estimate
TOKYO (AFX) - Housing starts in February rose 13.7 pct year-on-year to 96,995, the first increase in three months, the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport said.
The rise was
much higher
than market's estimate of 4.1 pct
, based on a poll by the Nihon Keizai Shimbun.
Housing starts fell 2.2 pct year-on-year in January.
In February, starts on houses for rent rose 16.5 pct to 39,949, rising for the 11th straight month and those on dwellings in multi-unit buildings jumped 21.5 pct to 31,602, the first increase in three months.
Starts on owner-occupied houses gained 1.2 pct to 24,923, also the first increase in three months.
yasuhiko.seki@xfn.com

Looks like Jap IR are set to rise much sooner than originally estimated. Batton down the hatches as the economic tsunami heads our way :o

Looks like Jap IR are set to rise much sooner than originally estimated. Batton down the hatches as the economic tsunami heads our way :o

Spot on realistbear. I am surprised by the lack of response to this post. Since this is probably the most important single issue for house prices. Bugger the BOE setting rates - its about as important as a mosquito bite. Bugger the number of insolvencies - although they will have some impact on the money supply they are an effect of unbalanced lending practices rather than the cause of them.

Fact. The cost of goods in the economy is directly related to the amount of currency in the economy - hence the amount of money that people can gain access to.

When the Japanese turn off the money supply... that is when you will want to have sold last week. As a fan of the paradigm shift theory I am disturbed by how over used that concept (nay concept - expression) has become. This is what a paradigm shift REALLY means, and tsunami is a pretty good metaphor.

ta Badlad - no, I think Blair and Bush share that one.....

;)

TLM

:lol::lol::lol:

And you just know they both swallow! No suspicious stains left a la Monica Lewinsky...

What makes me sooooo angry about this whole bollocky economy is I'm about to leave the UK. The country which I *love* as I can't stand it here anymore.

I wll watch it all unravel from France.... :angry: