House Price Crash Forum

What Type Of Property Would You Buy As Ftb?

HOLA441

Freehold would be my first choice, but if that was unaffordable, I would go for a masionette 1st floor with garden (or shared) a loft space with the possibility to extend. Location, and parking is also important.

No way would I go for a new build block, estate or studio flat. Just my personal opinion.

HOLA442

Freehold would be my first choice, but if that was unaffordable, I would go for a masionette 1st floor with garden (or shared) a loft space with the possibility to extend. Location, and parking is also important.

No way would I go for a new build block, estate or studio flat. Just my personal opinion.

3 bed semi would be the target.

Billy Shears

HOLA443
HOLA444

I am buying in Thailand. I decent house can be had from 15K upwards. Check this out:-

http://property.huahinafterdark.com/viewpr...71&type=H&for=S. 2.4 Million Baht is about 35K........a sensible price for a detached house which I can pay cash for.

I will be retiring in Thailand in about 10 years so that is where I will buy a house.

(Plus my girl is considerably better looking than your average fat western battle axe and has a much nicer personality).

Edited by walker127

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I'm seriously considering moving back to France.

HPI is only one thing that has destroyed my native country which I love. Crap public transport, stupid levels of taxation which seem to be frittered away on nothing of value. I could go on but I won't bore you all.

France has a population which still has the motivation to take to the streets and *protest* when something pisses them off. I get the impression that the British have almost given up - or have we??

:angry:

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

(Plus my girl is considerably better looking than your average fat western battle axe and has a much nicer personality).

Did she come with postage & packaging included? :P

A boat.

Cant really get a mortgage for a boat though, can you?

HOLA4411
Guest Bart of Darkness

2 or 3 bed terrace with small garden in a non asbo-infested area.

Definitely a major consideration.

These vermin do spread themselves far and wide though. :(

HOLA4412

Oddly enough that's pretty much what I just bought. Not freehold sadly, but it's a 1st floor maisonette, decent room sizes, a good area even if it's slightly away from the centre of said area, separate entrance (important in maisonettes I think), garden, good-sized loft that could be converted if need, street parking.

It's not amazing, but it's a property and an area I'd be happy to live in for some time if worst comes to worst. Personally I hope prices fall a bit eventually but not too much as that's probably the only way I'll be able to move on.

It's also in a pretty awful state of decor - probably the only thing that kept the asking price down far enough for me to buy it. There's a lot of woodchip and pictures plastered to the wall, all needs to be chiselled and scraped off to make it look decent - once that's done it will look fine as underneath it's in good repair. It's probably about six weeks work to just get it to the point where we can move in, but I figured that's the only way. Also might possibly protect us against the first 5-10% of falls as it will be more saleable simply from all that work making it look more acceptable.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

As a FTB I bought what I could afford - a 2 bed flat on the first floor of a converted terrace house, shoebox kitchen, no garden, no parking. Had a 100% mortgage too.

It wasn't about what I wanted, it was about what I could afford.

Sure and how old were you how much did you earn and how long did you have to save a deposit for. Please answer honestly

EDITED:

Just seen you didnt save for a deposit.

So im assuming a single woman (back in the days) just jumped onto the housing 'ladder' with no deposit, yet you still get 2 bedrooms, you were probably quite young aswell.

Today we have nearly 30 year olds who have saved vast deposits who still cannot afford a place.

Edited by theChuz

HOLA4415

Sure and how old were you how much did you earn and how long did you have to save a deposit for. Please answer honestly

EDITED:

Just seen you didnt save for a deposit.

So im assuming a single woman (back in the days) just jumped onto the housing 'ladder' with no deposit, yet you still get 2 bedrooms, you were probably quite young aswell.

Today we have nearly 30 year olds who have saved vast deposits who still cannot afford a place.

I was 26 I think, I bought with partner so not one income.

I fully accept that 'getting on the ladder' must be very difficult for a lot of FTBs now - especially if single. However, I don't like the way that current homeowners are slated on here - called greedy, stupid etc and how everyone will piss themselves laughing when we all end up in negative equity. I'm not laughing at FTBs misfortune and it's nothing to do with greed - it's just making the most of your assets for your own benefit and that of your family. I feel very sad for those who are struggling to get where they want to but I'm not going to sell my house for less than I can get - my children are going to come first and I'll get what I can for it so I can move on and improve our standard of living, making no apology for it either. I'm not twisting anyones arm - they can buy it or not, it's their decision.

The frustration on here is perfectly understandable - I'd feel exactly the same I'm sure. But nobody would do any different from me in my position.

Bit off on a tangent there.

HOLA4416
Guest Winners and Losers

As a FTB I bought what I could afford - a 2 bed flat on the first floor of a converted terrace house, shoebox kitchen, no garden, no parking. Had a 100% mortgage too.

It wasn't about what I wanted, it was about what I could afford.

As a FTB I bought what I could afford AND what I wanted - 2 bed ground floor victorian conversion, big kitchen, garden, off street parking. I had a 95% mortgage. 3k deposit. IN LONDON. I was 26.

Those were the days :(

Not the same for FTB's now though is it? Btw, havent you changed your tune a bit? ;)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I'm seriously considering moving back to France.

HPI is only one thing that has destroyed my native country which I love. Crap public transport, stupid levels of taxation which seem to be frittered away on nothing of value. I could go on but I won't bore you all.

France has a population which still has the motivation to take to the streets and *protest* when something pisses them off. I get the impression that the British have almost given up - or have we??

:angry:

We've just had a letter today from the Wifes cousin, she moved out to France about six months ago for a new life, after her marriage broke down. First husband was a total tosser and control freak. Anyway she is out there with her second husband and her two boys from her first marriage. They have bought a lovely farm house, and are in the process of converting one of the barns into a holiday cottage. Her husband has got his French registration through which allows him to take on plumbing and electrical jobs, and work is starting to come in. She unfortunatley suffered a slipped disc, but has had a successful operation, though it ment she has had to be more or less flat on her back for four weeks. The boys are now fluent at French and are happily settle at school with loads of freinds. Always got their French freinds round at the house either to play there or to go off. Games of football seem to be very popular amoungst the French kids. One is a teenager and is enjoying the attention of the French girls.

The lads love their new life in France and the new found freedom it has afforded them, and their Mother and her Husband also love the French way of life. Spring is in the air and the fruit trees will soon be in blossom, and they have loads of veg seedlings to plant out. The Mother is over in the UK this April, for a court hearing because the boys father refuses to help with their up keep. The boys have no time for their father, and are coming back to the UK with their Mother under duress.

My advice to anybody who is young and got the balls to do it, for your kids sake emigrate, this country is sinking in chavs and I'm better that you types obsessed with consumer wealth.

Not a fan of French cars myself, but the French drive them, and I reckon that says more about how the French value their way of life and their inter dependance on each other in society at large. Unlike the f%ck you mate I'm alright attitude that seems to permeate throughout our land

Murdochs press belittles the French, sure some of the French don't like some of us Brits but can you blame them ? We Brits along with the Yanks bestride the globe with our arrogance in defiance of International Law. Our electorates swallow the government line that murdering people in their own countrys and in their own homes for the Anglo/American oil industry is fine. Whilst at the same time taking it up the %rse in silent servitude back here at home, as the government engineer our enslavement to the banking industry. F%ck your freedoms and your civil rights being erroded, by a political system bought and paid for by the oil and banking industries. Just think another grand in debt from your local high street dealer, and you can be the proud owner of a Plasma Screen TV, on which you can sit and watch all those "reality" TV shows.

rant.gif ......... I feel better for that :D

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

As a FTB I bought what I could afford AND what I wanted - 2 bed ground floor victorian conversion, big kitchen, garden, off street parking. I had a 95% mortgage. 3k deposit. IN LONDON. I was 26.

Those were the days :(

Not the same for FTB's now though is it? Btw, havent you changed your tune a bit? ;)

Look at that, we have something in common - I was 26 and flat in London too!

I haven't changed my tune, I probably just haven't said it. I've spent most of my time trying to 'defend' myself iyswim - I'm honestly thankful I'm not a FTB now, it must be horrendous - nobody in their right mind would laugh at their situation but I don't want to be slated and called greedy and stupid because I'm selling my house, for what many people think is far too much - I'm going with the flow - if I can get my price I will (well, 'sold' now and got just under it). Nobody would do otherwise unless they were completely insane! There is definitely greed among BTLs but the average homeowner is only going to sell for the best price they can achieve to better their own life.

I do agree that the market has slowed right down - certainly round my neck of the woods the last 18 months has been incredibly slow but atm there is a definite surge with a lot of sold boards going up - what will happen later in the year is anyones guess.

HOLA4421

I fully accept that 'getting on the ladder' must be very difficult for a lot of FTBs now - especially if single. However, I don't like the way that current homeowners are slated on here - called greedy, stupid etc and how everyone will piss themselves laughing when we all end up in negative equity. I'm not laughing at FTBs misfortune and it's nothing to do with greed - it's just making the most of your assets for your own benefit and that of your family. I feel very sad for those who are struggling to get where they want to but I'm not going to sell my house for less than I can get - my children are going to come first and I'll get what I can for it so I can move on and improve our standard of living, making no apology for it either. I'm not twisting anyones arm - they can buy it or not, it's their decision.

The frustration on here is perfectly understandable - I'd feel exactly the same I'm sure. But nobody would do any different from me in my position.

If you had that attitude most of the time then people would be quite receptive to you :) , I dont blame you in anyway for you wanting as much money as possible for your house, i dont blame you for wanting to look after your kids, i dont blame you for anything :)

I think what alot of people take exception to is the blah-zay (sp) attititude of homeowners today who are all ready to quickly jump in and tell you how its always been hard to get on the 'ladder'. Alot of Homeowners then tell you thier own story of some derelict property which they had as a first property.

What gets over looked is that in todays market YOU wouldnt of been able to afford anything at all, absoulty nothing, you wouldnt of been able to just one day get a 100% mortgage and get a 2 bed flat/appartment. I could save up 10's of thousands of pounds and still not be able to afford a 2 bed place.

I think thats what most people object to with homeowners is the whole "its always been hard" mantra. We are (arguably) in the countries largest asset bubble, its not your fault and i dont blame homeowers, like you say in your situation i would be the same ( as in wanting as much money for my house as possible) but i like to think that i would have a degree of humility and realise that it was not due to some great financial masterpiece on my part.

:)

HOLA4422
Guest Winners and Losers

Look at that, we have something in common - I was 26 and flat in London too!

Well, who woulda guessed it? Maybe we are the same person? ;):D

I think you came here immediately on the defensive, when there really was no need. It takes a bit of time to work out how this forum works (?). :blink: I don't think people here slate home owners for wanting the best price. Many on here have sold to rent. I'm sure they didnt give their houses away. I think the issue is more to do with vendors being unrealistic and keeping the inflated market propped up by over valuing. It can only last so long.

HOLA4423

Positive stuff about France

Tony and Gordy know this.

Why do you think that languages are becoming less and less important in the UK education system - unless of course you include Welsh... jobs for the boyos, I guess.

Not to mention the nasty tax surprise for anyone taking their pension abroad after 6th April this year. (if I recall correctly)

btp

HOLA4424
Guest Winners and Losers

Cant really get a mortgage for a boat though, can you?

Here is my boat - found it on Rightmove. Perfect for FTB's or investors alike. Newly refurbished. Maybe Rightmove can point me in the direction of a buy to let boat mortgage? Whatever next, eh!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-982...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

Not to mention the nasty tax surprise for anyone taking their pension abroad after 6th April this year. (if I recall correctly)

btp

What's that then?

HOLA4425

The point is not that we want all property to go for less than it's worth (although i wouldn't object if it did for a while to being some sense back into the market), we would rather all property is affordable. There is a difference, the higher you feel the value of your home, the higher the next person up the ladder will expect their's to be and what we have seen generally is the steps on the ladder being seperated further and further apart.

So you wanting the best for your family is really not helping them (as you'll have less moeny should you move) or the next generation at all, that is the central message we need to get across.