House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FreeNapoleon

Self-build Anyone?

Curious to know if anyone may be considering this option.

...reckon I could build Rome several times over before a HPC occurs...

I have thought about it. But try finding a reasonably priced plot with planning permission.

frugalista

Yeah. I'm seeing someone on Monday who finds land to see how feasible it is. Land prices seem to be easing off, so that may diminish as an issue. The problem is I believe the usual:finding a decent reliable builder and controlling costs. If you want to live in a house that isn't out of a packet and isn't the usual victorian /edwardian pastiche/parody then its the only way to proceed.

Looked at many potential plots - but theren't any about that have Planning or could get it at a reasonable cost.

If you can get Planning Permission then the "contribution to affordable housing" can financially cripple the project.

Quite surprised that of all new detached houses in UK, 25% are self built. Approx 12% generally each year.

Just back from Puglia (Heal of Italy) where you can buy 2hectares of land with hundreds of olive and fruit trees, a 'trullo' - planning permission a piece of p1ss...but what would one do?

As Churchill said:

KBO (Keep buggering On) :huh:

...for 40,000 euro I meant to add

im up for self build - or moving abroad to work tax free!!

looking into trying to get outline planning permission before buying the land

all too new to me though

and im not a big risj taker as it is!!

Love to but for me too it is the price of land. But it is the dream of creativity with the building. And again, I am not going to hock myself to the neck and be trapped. I'm keeping my feet on the ground and my pad rented.