House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crash 2005

Glad I Haven't Got A Spanish Property

http://www.themovechannel.com/News/2006/March/31e.asp

Spanish property developers predict house prices will cool down during 2006-2007, confirming the switch to a buyers’ market forecast for the current year, reports PropertyinSpain.net
The Association of Property Developers says prices for new homes should go down by between five and ten percent in 2006
Edited by crash 2005

Speaking as an agency in Spain, our experience is that the top end of the market has cooled down enormously - houses over 350,000 euros are just not shifting. We are trying to get owners to bring their prices down voluntarily, especially those whose properties have been sitting on the market for up to two years. Spanish banks are still more cautious than UK lenders, so it's not as easy to borrow more than you can afford.

But, just as in the UK, I bet there a many people still making a profit from buying and selling Spanish property, and many savvy owner occupiers still picking up bargains.

And they're in the sun. Gits!

question is, how many have MEW'ed to buy their place in the sun, and as they thought as an investment.

Edited by crash 2005

Speaking as an agency in Spain, our experience is that the top end of the market has cooled down enormously - houses over 350,000 euros are just not shifting. We are trying to get owners to bring their prices down voluntarily, especially those whose properties have been sitting on the market for up to two years. Spanish banks are still more cautious than UK lenders, so it's not as easy to borrow more than you can afford.

What can you do me on a 3 bedroom villa with pool and garden in Sitges or alternatively outskirts of Madrid? Yo he visto muchas casas en el internet cerca de Sitges pero nadie quiere comprarlas.

Conversation with a friend yesterday was rather contradictory.He lives a bit inland from Valentia.He says that the local papers are still reporting substancial price increases in the area but NOTHING is shifting.

His friend,an EA,nearby has nor sold one property since Christmas and a new build development in his village would appear to have been abandoned 25% finished.

The villa next to him,very nice 4 bedroom with lots of land has been up for sale @190,000 euro for ages.In fact last September the owner offered it to us for 170,000.

Just very interested to know the real story!

What can you do me on a 3 bedroom villa with pool and garden in Sitges or alternatively outskirts of Madrid? Yo he visto muchas casas en el internet cerca de Sitges pero nadie quiere comprarlas.

Ojala que si, pero estamos en las islas canarias, muy lejos de Sitges.

Seriously though, there are still many people, Brits and Irish in particular, who are taking the Btl mania abroad. I have recently had several conversations with punters who've bought apartments to rent out complaining that they haven't got any tenants because the agents they used (not us, I hasten to add as we prefer to give people a more realistic picture of the market) told them they'd have no problem letting out their apartment/duplex to a professional couple (which makes me laugh because even 'professional couples' struggle on the awful pay over here). I think in the next few months we'll start to see people bailing out of btl here as it tips them over the edge financially.

Ojala que si, pero estamos en las islas canarias, muy lejos de Sitges.

Seriously though, there are still many people, Brits and Irish in particular, who are taking the Btl mania abroad. I have recently had several conversations with punters who've bought apartments to rent out complaining that they haven't got any tenants because the agents they used (not us, I hasten to add as we prefer to give people a more realistic picture of the market) told them they'd have no problem letting out their apartment/duplex to a professional couple (which makes me laugh because even 'professional couples' struggle on the awful pay over here). I think in the next few months we'll start to see people bailing out of btl here as it tips them over the edge financially.

Not sure I would call the Canaries muy lejos de Sitges but good try! :rolleyes: Interesting "ojala" is I think a Spanish bit of inhereited Arabic from "inshallah" (god willing).

I have been meaning to buy a villa in Sitges for a while (to enjoy, not let out) and the same ones keep popping up unsold after 18mths or more. I went back to Madrid again recently and decided I quite like that as well. Also, they speak Castillian, not Catalan so they don't get sniffy at me in bars (at least not for trying to speak Spanish to them.) If you are correct as above, I will keep watching. I need a new London house more urgently anyway.

Esta burbuja es pura tonteria. Malafortunadamente, me parece que todavia hay un monton de idiotas que quieren ser duenos de pisos nuevos.

frugalista

So that is how you say "bubble" in Spanish! Hay un monton de idiotas al todos lados...

Also, they speak Castillian, not Catalan so they don't get sniffy at me in bars

I found that quite a few of the fellas in the bars in Sitges were, erm....."sniffy" :blink:

Edited by Libertine

Money is money is freedom whichever way you look at it or whichever way you make it.

Im sorry, but that is just the sort of comment a money orientated person would say, and is also a very shallow thing to say and makes me feel sick.

My next door neighbour is in a wheelchair from a car crash and has 50K +, does that make him better and more free ? NO !

The things that matter in life cost nothing.

Money is 'power' thats printed on a piece of paper. It helps but it is definitely not freedom, far from it.

Someone who has 100k buys a boat outright and hires a skipper.

Someone who has 20K builds the boat and learns how to sail.

Both people are just as free as each other.

so think again.

I found that quite a few of the fellas in the bars in Sitges were, erm....."sniffy" :blink:

:lol:

The power of the pink pound! :lol:

Too much lippy Libbi and they would have thought you'd overdone the drag for such a warm climate. If drag can be overdone, that is :lol:

I have recently had several conversations with punters who've bought apartments to rent out complaining that they haven't got any tenants because the agents they used (not us, I hasten to add as we prefer to give people a more realistic picture of the market) told them they'd have no problem letting out their apartment/duplex to a professional couple (which makes me laugh because even 'professional couples' struggle on the awful pay over here).

And said professional couple aren't sage enough just to buy for themselves?

It's masters in search of slaves.

Sitges is a funny old place. I thus far noted the following:

1. Well, obviously, very gay. Let's not beat around the bush here.

2. Lots of rich kids from UK and US, seemingly all learning how to play tennis. Very Dicky and Marge ala Talented Mr Ripley I thought.

I wonder if it will be one of the leading lights on the way down in Spain as Skidrow-on-Sea has proved in the UK.

Giri,

Have the boats of immigrants from the african continent had any effect on your business? Was watching a programme last night where the locals had apparently torched one of the centres helping the younger ones out. Nice :angry: . There were other locals going to funerals of those who had died out at sea though.

btp

Im sorry, but that is just the sort of comment a money orientated person would say, and is also a very shallow thing to say and makes me feel sick.

My next door neighbour is in a wheelchair from a car crash and has 50K +, does that make him better and more free ? NO !

The things that matter in life cost nothing.

Money is 'power' thats printed on a piece of paper. It helps but it is definitely not freedom, far from it.

Someone who has 100k buys a boat outright and hires a skipper.

Someone who has 20K builds the boat and learns how to sail.

And whar does someone with £0k do? Splash around in the bath? :rolleyes:

Precisely :rolleyes:

here is a Spanish forum in english:-

http://www.viviendadigna.org/?foros/viewfo...b40535ca610bcdd

Interesting link Consa, did you see the story below with yesterdays date?

http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/24/pf/persona...tcies/index.htm

"Personal bankruptcies soar to all-time high

Bankruptcies jumped 30% to nearly 2.1 million last year as debtors rushed to file petitions before new restrictions took effect.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - The number of Americans filing for bankruptcy jumped 30 percent last year to the highest on record as debtors rushed to file petitions before new restrictions took effect, according to the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts.

Personal bankruptcies filed in the federal courts totaled 2,078,415 in 2005, up from 1,597,462 petitions filed in 2004, the office said in a statement on its Web site Friday."