House Price Crash Forum

Why Diy Profits Are Falling - Nothing To Do With Hpi

HOLA441

Breakfast this morning have certainly hit the nail on the head, when they discussed falling DIY profits.

Apparently falling profits in DIY are down to everyone having more money and less time - the buzzword of the 90s was DIY, but now we have 'graduated' to GSI or 'Getting someone in'.

No longer do we try to put up that curtain ourselves, now we have so much extra cash we can afford to get a professional in to do it for us.

This is the reason sales in DIY and home products are falling at B&Q, Wickes etc.

Never mind the fact that these 'professionals' have to buy the same products from somewhere (B&Q professional perhaps?).

Never mind the sky high HPs leaving no extra cash for spending on improvement once you've paid the monthly mortgage bill.

Never mind the rising cost of living.

Never mind that all the indicators show 30s and 40s are drowning in debt.

Never mind the falling high street sales.

No, its all OK - we've all got so much extra cash we are now able to GSI!

Apologies if this has already been posted but I almost chocked on my coffee this am! I remember when BBC journalism meant quality and good research - even the wife thought they were mad!

Edited by willing

HOLA442

Breakfast this morning have certainly hit the nail on the head, when they discussed falling DIY profits.

Apparently falling profits in DIY are down to everyone having more money and less time - the buzzword of the 90s was DIY, but now we have 'graduated' to GSI or 'Getting someone in'.

No longer do we try to put up that curtain ourselves, now we have so much extra cash we can afford to get a professional in to do it for us.

This is the reason sales in DIY and home products are falling at B&Q, Wickes etc.

Never mind the fact that these 'professionals' have to buy the same products from somewhere (B&Q professional perhaps?).

Never mind the sky high HPs leaving no extra cash for spending on improvement once you've paid the monthly mortgage bill.

Never mind the rising cost of living.

Never mind that all the indicators show 30s and 40s are drowning in debt.

Never mind the falling high street sales.

No, its all OK - we've all got so much extra cash we are now able to GSI!

Apologies if this has already been posted but I almost chocked on my coffee this am! I remember when BBC journalism meant quality and good research - even the wife thought they were mad!

If the claims were true then someone should be able to point to statistics showing that GSI is growing and filling the gap left by DIY.

I presume that the show explained such stats in detail, did they not?

Billly Shears

HOLA443

If the claims were true then someone should be able to point to statistics showing that GSI is growing and filling the gap left by DIY.

Billly Shears

Oh there was clearly no need to point to stats in the show - they had Laurence Lleweyln-Bowen on saying how wonderful it was that we'd all graduated to GSI.

Oh and they had a guy on who assembles flat pack furniture.

Plus the message was delivered by Declan Curry.

Stats would just spoil it for your average Joe.

It's not like stats are important in supporting the argument anyway.

Did I mention they had Laurence Lleweyln-Bowen on?

HOLA444

The real reason is that a growing proportion of ftb's have no practical skills and wouldn't have a clue. This is one more side effect of a growing army of people sat in front of computer screens.

People are raised differently these days, because yes we do have more cash and people don't get the opportunity to learn practical skills + they are lazier these days and can't be arsed aswell.

Doesn't apply to everyone, just an increasing number thats all.

HOLA445
Guest consa

The real reason is that a growing proportion of ftb's have no practical skills and wouldn't have a clue. This is one more side effect of a growing army of people sat in front of computer screens.

People are raised differently these days, because yes we do have more cash and people don't get the opportunity to learn practical skills + they are lazier these days and can't be arsed aswell.

Did they suddenly become lazy over the past few months then?

HOLA446

I don't think you'd see that kind of dramatic demographic change in less than 2 years though. It's clearly down to the property slowdown - B&Q have said this themselves.

HOLA447
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Billly Shears

My neighbour who works for his father`s firm doing all types of house maintenance are 30% down on business in comparison to the same period last year. Their sub contractors including plumbers, chippies, and gas fitters are also finding a big drop in their work. I asked his opinion why, they are so much in debt he replied they have nothing left to spend. Well you learn something different everyday. :) This is known as the slow strangulation, takes time but finally the patient stops breathing. ;)

HOLA448

IMupNorth,

What FTB's? - they are running at less that a fifth of the historical level (NAEA), unless of course you are referring to the lenders' FTB's, many of whom seem to be no such thing.

Somebody should tell my local electrical wholesaler that everybody is getting someone in, because they are not doing that well in the conversations I've had with them. Of course trades would tend not to buy a lot from the likes of B&Q, well if they are not buying there and they don't seem to be buying from the trade counter where are they buying from?

More likely the truth about the effect of BTL is not being told.

HOLA449

What I don't understand is why no one in the media is jumping at the darkside of the HPI issue.

Sales in DIY falling.

Sales on the high street dead.

Unemployment rising.

Massive debt.

FTBs priced out.

Massive government overspend.

Strikes.

Yet all we seem to hear from the BBC is 'don't worry its just because your 'richer/happier/more successful' now'.

Surely this is prime story selling stuff. 'Everything's ok' doesn't sell - 'Everythings bad and going to get worse' does sell.

In addition the BBC always used to take pride in opposing any government - now it just seems to tow the line.

Even the bulls should be asking 'What the hell is going on' around now!