House Price Crash Forum

But is it as much to do with a more general trend? Is Britain falling out of love with DIY?

B&Q say that it's a downturn in the housing market. But the BBC suggest that it's down to the fact that the British have, en masse, all of a sudden and for no adequately explained reason, fallen out of love with DIY.

Which is the more likely explanation?

I would suggest to BBC journos that they look up "Occam's razor" on google and get back to me on that one.

Edited by SpoonUnit

Guest Winners and Losers

They are talking about this on BBC1 in a minute. Going for the 'UK has fallen out of love with DIY' line. New fad is 'Get someone to do it'. I think it is because every house in the UK has already been renovated to the hilt!

Guest Winners and Losers

Amazing - they actually said that DIY stores are blaming the housing market downturn. What housing market downturn is that then??? Are the BBC using concealed tactics to shift sentiment?

Each day the average property is rising by over £40.

So just one day pays for a surf to spend nearly 7 hours doing it for you.

Labour is so cheap that noone in thier right mind will bother spending hours doing it.

'They are hard workers unlike the british'.

Edited by brainclamp

Amazing - they actually said that DIY stores are blaming the housing market downturn. What housing market downturn is that then??? Are the BBC using concealed tactics to shift sentiment?

Yes, it's funny how they only ever mention a downturn or stagnation when we're "coming out of" one or prices "bounce back" or "on the rise again" Hmmmm selective reporting on the facts me thinks.

DIY/Shmuy I think we've all had a belly full of these churned out programs much as I still love to get stuck in with my tools! Oooh er.

B&Q and its competitors blame the downturn on a sluggish housing market - because when people stop moving house, they stop spending on big home improvement projects.

More idiots ploughing into BTL does not constitute a normal housing market where people are serially moving/upgrading their properties. BTL will bring down the consumer economy (particulalrly the household spending). Lenders are still chasing volume and the only volume they can gouge out of the market is their 10-to-let rubbish.

Hence the NAEA stats of FTB's at 8% or so, whilst lenders are saying it is a lot more, does anyone believe that the lenders are not being straight with the number of real FTB loans and that a lot of them are hidden BTL, wehterh they are implicitly aware of this nor not?

Even if people would rather get others to do their DIY for them. Don't these Handy Andys need tools and materials themselves?

I had had much the same thought. Maybe they all go to builders merchants to get a better deal?

Guest Winners and Losers

I still love to get stuck in with my tools! Oooh er.

What a tool! :P

Anybody got any data on how builders merchants are doing?

I have no idea, but my guess is that they'll also be having lower profits this year.

If so, that would suggest that the downturn in DIY sales is more related to the housing downturn rather than 'falling out of love' with DIY.

They are talking about this on BBC1 in a minute. Going for the 'UK has fallen out of love with DIY' line. New fad is 'Get someone to do it'. I think it is because every house in the UK has already been renovated to the hilt!

SO BBC IF EVERYONE IS GETTING SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT FOR THEM, WHERE EXACTLY ARE THEY BUYING THE MATERIALS FROM???

ENGAGE BRAINS BBC

One thing to remember is that in many chain diy shops choice, quality, service and cost are all moving in the wrong direction, especially with a number of online shops available.

One thing to remember is that in many chain diy shops choice, quality, service and cost are all moving in the wrong direction, especially with a number of online shops available.

so do the handyman bikers who whizz around London dealing with people's home decorating jobs, also carry around their centrino laptops and hijack peoples wi-fi hot spots in order to buy their materials, I never thought of that......

I watched the report on this on the BBC this morning. Linda Barker was on and she reckons the sharp downturn in B&Q's profits is because there aren't so many DIY shows on TV any more!!

Nothing to do with massive ammounts of debt and sky high mortgage repayments then Linda.

:lol:

Edited by devslim

Next, they'll be telling us that it's de rigueur to have no furniture or home furnishings in the house, and that it's funky to eat faeces. As that is what everyone will resort to if they persist with encouraging everyone to bankrupt themselves.

Are they also saying that we'd rather hire people in to sit on instead of buying garden furniture? Or that we'd rather paint some unemployed chavs green and pay them to stand in the shrubbery?

I can just picture it now, my very own Jordan looky-likey, standing naked in the fountain, squirting away for my family's enjoyment. "Hey Jodie, put another couple of turd burgers on the barbie luv and eat the grass whilst you're at it!"

Even if people would rather get others to do their DIY for them. Don't these Handy Andys need tools and materials themselves? Don't tell me, $hit-brown's all the rage this year and next season it'll be, snot and ear wax for the living room. Nothing like natural colours, is there?

pmsl.gif I love this website there are so many funny posters hanging out here. Another good on last night was Bart of Darkness and his Python song :lol::lol:

SO BBC IF EVERYONE IS GETTING SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT FOR THEM, WHERE EXACTLY ARE THEY BUYING THE MATERIALS FROM???

ENGAGE BRAINS BBC

Actually I do think that the consumer debt problem is a big factor but you're not entirely right either. B&Q have in the past made loads of money from amateurs and DIY newbies investing in kit and trying stuff for the first time.

If this customer base were to switch to trade only, you would still see a big slide in profits (even *if* people were still doing lots of home improvements).

Joe Bloggs would need to buy a brand new tool kit and work bench to do that DIY project whereas Acme Builders & Son will already have theirs. And they probably buy their materials in bulk too (not like Joe Bloggs and his odd bit of flooring.

So I think there is some truth in their argument but ut's not the whole story by a long way.

the sad thing about this pile of drivel is that it runs under the beebs 'Money programme' banner. In the old days when it didn't hide it's title, it was probably just as biased, but at least it pretended to take a wider interest in local and global economics.

Even sadder is that if they actually used the 'Money programme' title, their audience would probably drop 90%...

TLM

Edited by trompe le monde