House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Pricedout

Just wondering how Priced Out was doing? Seems like a good idea. Seems like all the activists have twaddled off and now we're left with angst ridden posters who are tipped over the edge by Nationwide / Halifax et al. It's clear that the frustration FTBs must feel is pushing many to breaking point. Very depressing.

CYMRU RYDD

G

It's clear that the frustration FTBs must feel is pushing many to breaking point. Very depressing.

It is depressing. Today I was jeered at work because HPI is on the up (according to Haliwidemove) and now I will be "priced out" for ever and ever and ever <_< . And I know there are thousands out there just wanting to get on with their lives who NEVER had the chance to buy in at the "right time". The repeated "I told you so" threads by homeowners and landlords are particularly heartless.. but they don't surprise me. However, all this early capitulation by so many bears makes me uneasy. I was never that bearish to begin with but even I can see that this game has a few moves left to play. And for me it is a game.. up 1%, down 1%..it's irrelevant. I can still afford ****** all :)

But, as some fine playright once said, Every dog will have its day.

edited: for booze related grammar

Edited by SpoonUnit

What I really don't get is why anyone imagines that a house price crash should have kicked in by now? Is there some kind of 'magic' HPC date, that I wasn't aware of, that people on here had collectively set for the start of the crash? V peculiar.

Edited by gruffydd

I was just thinking yesterday what a bad idea it is to call the market, it happens all the time "I think such and such will happen early in 2006 blah blah blah". When it doesn't happen people are disappointed and loose heart.

Don't beleive all the spin - a couple of anecdotals to cheer.

A colleague is getting divorced (which is a great pity) but the house he bought in Radstock, Somerset two years ago has just be revalued - and is valued at £10K less than they paid.

Another colleague bought a few BTLs in the same area, 4 I think, and in his first year made £2k loss and reckons this year made a healthy profit of just short off

Wait for it

£20 - he is thinking of getting out of BTL - a bull turned bear.

Keep the faith all the waiting will reap rewards - save every penny

Think Thrift

PO

Talking about getting out of the BTL market.

I've seen approx 100 properties in the villages near my home (which I know are BTL properties) being sold off.

Obviously all is not well in BTL land.

... And I know there are thousands out there just wanting to get on with their lives ...

For what its worth i know of 2 homeowners who cannot sell their homes who 'just want to get on with their lives but cant and are VERY stressed about it.

Edited by Loanshark

It is depressing. Today I was jeered at work because HPI is on the up (according to Haliwidemove) and now I will be "priced out" for ever and ever and ever <_< . And I know there are thousands out there just wanting to get on with their lives who NEVER had the chance to buy in at the "right time". The repeated "I told you so" threads by homeowners and landlords are particularly heartless.. but they don't surprise me. However, all this early capitulation by so many bears makes me uneasy. I was never that bearish to begin with but even I can see that this game has a few moves left to play. And for me it is a game.. up 1%, down 1%..it's irrelevant. I can still afford ****** all :)

But, as some fine playright once said, Every dog will have its day.

edited: for booze related grammar

Yeah, for the record, I am expecting about 5 more underhand bowls by the government. Why 5? Dunno I am just getting that feeling. The last 2 will be technically clever but weak deliveries. I am expecting they will hold it up for another 12-15 months and then all hell will break loose. If your pissed off at this stage I would suggest taking up a hobby because it is going to be a slow game, but you don't want to get caught out at the last wicket. If your hear to have a laugh and wait out the time, great!

Its also about critical mass paradigm theory (or, "the straw that broke the camels back"). Everytime they do a new botch job to hold it up, it is a temporary stay that simply allows the pressure to continue on a fundamentally flawed structure.

I agree totally Elizabeth.

By the way, for those interested in the Australasian property market, I just spent the day with some NZ Journalists - property market tumbling there

Yeah, for the record, I am expecting about 5 more underhand bowls by the government. Why 5? Dunno I am just getting that feeling. The last 2 will be technically clever but weak deliveries. I am expecting they will hold it up for another 12-15 months and then all hell will break loose. If your pissed off at this stage I would suggest taking up a hobby because it is going to be a slow game, but you don't want to get caught out at the last wicket. If your hear to have a laugh and wait out the time, great!

Its also about critical mass paradigm theory (or, "the straw that broke the camels back"). Everytime they do a new botch job to hold it up, it is a temporary stay that simply allows the pressure to continue on a fundamentally flawed structure.

What kind of things do you mean? IR cuts? Tax breaks for property?

Even if they wanted to, can the govt really act quickly enough? It's a long time till the next budget.

frugalista

This government can do what it wants. It seems to most of the time anyway.

Compulsory ID cards on are on the way. The UK economy isn't going to get better.

And I can't find pricedout. site. I have bookmarked it but not on this machine.

its obvious to me now why HPI occured: liberal lending. Its, therefore, also clear what will cause HPC: when the lending becomes less liberal (or even just stays the same and we dont have HPI).

What kind of things do you mean? IR cuts? Tax breaks for property?

Even if they wanted to, can the govt really act quickly enough? It's a long time till the next budget.

frugalista

I am not sure frugalista. They surprise me with their bollocky schemes (eg. the 1/4 bank / 1/4 government ownership thing)

Probably an interest drop (or at least stay steady while the rest of the world rises).

I actually think they get so fixated by individual indices and how to manipulate them that they never step far enough back to see the whole picture. For which reason the 'paradigm' of governmental activity for the entire country is like a collage of unconnected images slapped across a board with no overlying theme... except the total primacy, control and arrogance of the derivative and fragmented auteur. (excuse my literary ramblings)

They will open up shared ownership far wider and they may be able to achieve that fast.

The might fund RSLs to pick up a lot of surplus new builds that appear to be rotting on the shelf to be sold as share ownerships housing

They may yet try cash handouts to FTBs (the Australian government did that, but its not in this governments nature since it doesn't involve a 'social' response. In anycase, the 'individual' response didn't work to any great consequence in Australia and it won't work here, but desperate times...)

I think that this market in the short-term can be quite clearly paralleled to an election campaign. A small turnaround can be the difference either way. I also think their critical target is to hold it off until the next election. Since they understand elections it makes it easy for them to work to this kind of short-term targeted populist agenda. They just have work on the 4-8% of sales that mean the difference between flat and crash and keep the 'opinion pollster' equivalents (in this case the house value indicies) happy.

Anyway, what are you asking me for? I don't have any further ideas, but if I did they would be top secret. The last thing I want is to give them any ideas they haven't thought of themselves :o

Edited by Elizabeth

Guest Charlie The Tramp

its obvious to me now why HPI occured: liberal lending. Its, therefore, also clear what will cause HPC: when the lending becomes less liberal (or even just stays the same and we dont have HPI).

Under instructions from your Boss GB are you?

Just a quick thought (and it is late so don;t ask me to expand) but, if we do move into a paradgim of shared ownership and renting could we eventually reach the stage were house prices crash because home ownership is no longer a social aspiration.

In 50 years could we see a time when people brag about the size of their pension and the conditions of their private health insurance rather than then price of their house?

Under instructions from your Boss GB are you?

Don't say that Charlie. You'll make me paranoid :lol: I've just totted up ideas on how these frigging idiots might stave off the crash till the next election (thankfully none of them are original ;) )

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Don't say that Charlie. You'll make me paranoid :lol: I've just totted up ideas on how these frigging idiots might stave off the crash till the next election (thankfully none of them are original ;) )

Bagehot Posted on: Nov 10 2005, 08:34 PM

How will the newbies recognise the HPC crew? I will ask my boss along, the great Boom and Bust GB.

;)

I am not sure frugalista. They surprise me with their bollocky schemes (eg. the 1/4 bank / 1/4 government ownership thing)

Indeed, their schemes are bollocky. And hairy, dangly and sweaty. Remarkably bollocky. You get the picture.

I can't see them holding off the downturn (either in the housing market or the general economy) before the next election. We're already well past the peak and we've got 3 or 4 long years to go. Economies have this annoying tendency to only go forward or backwards, there is no neutral gear.

frugalista

Guest Bart of Darkness
I can't see them holding off the downturn (either in the housing market or the general economy) before the next election.

If they could somehow build a negative field inverter and isolate the UK from the economic effects of the rest of the world they could easily delude themselves and the gullible UK public for decades.

They can't and they won't. :)

If they could somehow build a negative field inverter and isolate the UK from the economic effects of the rest of the world they could easily delude themselves and the gullible UK public for decades.

They can't and they won't. :)

Maybe they will call on the A-team. I'm sure with a decent blowtorch and an old lawnmower engine, Hannibal, BA and co could jury rig something....?

frugalista