House Price Crash Forum
LargelyIgnorant

What Happened To 'sale Agreed' Boards?

Quite a few threads on this forum have mentioned the prevalence of 'Sold' boards as proof of the strength of the housing market. Please look closely at these 'Sold' signs. In tiny tiny writing it almost always says 'Subject to Contract' - These properties haven't sold at all. In fact they are only 'Sale Agreed'.

When did 'Sale Agreed' signs vanish? They were still around in Nov/Dec - Is this:

(1) A move by EA's to hide the state of the market*

(2) Normal practice - 1 EA binned 'Sale Agreed' signs, the rest had to follow for competitive reasons

*Any property that isn't well above average lurching from broken chain to broken chain

I am glad someone else has noticed this as two houses near me have had sold boards apear in the gardens only to be replaced four weeks later with a for sale sign which is then by followed by a sold sign etc etc.

One house has been through this at least four times and i did think i was going mad at one point :)

I guess it looks better if they miss out the sale agreed sign to those not in the know.

I am glad someone else has noticed this as two houses near me have had sold boards apear in the gardens only to be replaced four weeks later with a for sale sign which is then by followed by a sold sign etc etc.

One house has been through this at least four times and i did think i was going mad at one point :)

I guess it looks better if they miss out the sale agreed sign to those not in the know.

Experienced the same thing with the house across the road from me. They need a revolving sign powered by the wind with 'For Sale' on the one side and 'Sold' on the other :lol::lol::lol:

Under Offer, means just that an offer has been accepted , but is subject to contract, so hence it is not considered sold until contracts have been exchanged, as up till that happening either party can walk away.

SSTC than back to For Sale, can mean quite a few things:

Mortgage refused due to banks tightening lending criteria [ they don't think the house is either worth the asking price or the buy is considered a bad risk]

A jittery market, and the buyer gets cold feet.

The chain collapses, happens alot when the market is lack luster.

Quite a few threads on this forum have mentioned the prevalence of 'Sold' boards as proof of the strength of the housing market. Please look closely at these 'Sold' signs. In tiny tiny writing it almost always says 'Subject to Contract' - These properties haven't sold at all. In fact they are only 'Sale Agreed'.

When did 'Sale Agreed' signs vanish? They were still around in Nov/Dec - Is this:

(2) Normal practice - 1 EA binned 'Sale Agreed' signs, the rest had to follow for competitive reasons

*Any property that isn't well above average lurching from broken chain to broken chain

Where i am not many EA's have ever utilised 'sale agreed' boards

The vast majority have 'For sale' then 'Sold subject to contract'

One notable exception who uses 'Spoken for' instead of under offer!

Genuinely don't think its as much of a conspiracy as you make it sound...

Genuinely don't think its as much of a conspiracy as you make it sound...

You don't think that having 'SOLD' in foot-high letters and 'subject to contract' in half-inch letters underneath tends to imply that they may possibly be trying to deceive people?

I've never seen a 'sale agreed' board outside a house in my life!

Sold boards don't usually go up, around here anyway, until it's literally about to complete and certainly not before a survey is done and final price agreed. Our sold board hasn't gone up yet and the survey is done.

Sold boards don't usually go up, around here anyway, until it's literally about to complete and certainly not before a survey is done and final price agreed.

There's been a 'SOLD' board up across the road for about three months. First it was 'SOLD subject to completion', then for the last month it seems to have been just 'SOLD', but maybe the 'subject to completion' is now in half-millimeter letters rather than half-inch.

Either way, no sign of anyone actually moving in... it's been empty for months now.

There's been a 'SOLD' board up across the road for about three months. First it was 'SOLD subject to completion', then for the last month it seems to have been just 'SOLD', but maybe the 'subject to completion' is now in half-millimeter letters rather than half-inch.

Either way, no sign of anyone actually moving in... it's been empty for months now.

Odd. Honestly, I've never seen anything other than 'for sale' or 'sold' and I remember our EA telling us they never but them up till they are 99% sure it's going through as it always looks bad if a 'sold' sign gets swapped for a 'for sale'.

Allrighty then..

What's the difference between "under offer" and "Sold STC" on rightmove's website?

Is Under offer mean that an offer has been placed but not accepted (then it would be sold stc???)

viz:

Sold STC

Under offer

Bonkers

Adam.

Edited by adamUK

I've never seen a 'sale agreed' board outside a house in my life!

Sold boards don't usually go up, around here anyway, until it's literally about to complete and certainly not before a survey is done and final price agreed. Our sold board hasn't gone up yet and the survey is done.

So you're sale agreed, but not completed. What does the board outside your house say? SSTC (with the STC in microscopic letters)? Roughly what area do you live in?

I STR'd on the south coast in December 05. Stared out the window at a 'Sale Agreed' board in my front garden for many months. Very very happy moment when it was replaced by a 'proper' sold board within hours of completion. The same EA who sold my place has now done away with 'sale agreed' signs completely, instead now using 'fake' sold boards as soon as the sale is agreed. The area was full of 'Sale Agreed' signs in late 05, from multiple agents - There are now none, just fake 'Sold' signs. Surprised that 'Sale Agreed' boards were limited to a small part of the south coast - I'm relatively certain I used to see them in both Brighton & SE London until fairly recently.

Under Offer, means just that an offer has been accepted , but is subject to contract, so hence it is not considered sold until contracts have been exchanged, as up till that happening either party can walk away.

Thought that 'Under Offer' means that someone has put in a stupidly low offer, and the owners have not yet agreed/accepted it? Fairly certain that 'Under Offer' is the step before 'Sale Agreed/SSTC', where the owners are hoping that someone else will put in a higher offer, but have not yet accepted the low one that the 'Under Offer' sign relates to.

Actually, I looked at the place on the way home and turns out that the 'SOLD' sign is now lying on the ground in the garden. So maybe it has finally sold after about two years on the market: I'll be interested to see whether it turns up on nethouseprices.com.

So you're sale agreed, but not completed. What does the board outside your house say? SSTC (with the STC in microscopic letters)? Roughly what area do you live in?

Ours still says 'For Sale' - round here they all say 'For Sale' and then 'Sold' and I've not seen any take a sold down because they don't put them up till they are exchanged I don't think.

I'm in the North West.

In all honesty, why do you even need a sold board? When I sold my gaff, it went from 'for sale' to 'sold' and as soon as the sold board went up I took it down.

In all honesty, why do you even need a sold board? When I sold my gaff, it went from 'for sale' to 'sold' and as soon as the sold board went up I took it down.

It's just for the benefit of the EA isn't it, even though they do next to nothing for their money