House Price Crash Forum

watching bbc lunchy time news.

pensioners selling homes to pay for care:

a pensioner with assets of 20k or more must sell the house to pay for care.

a few not so happy pensioners angry. they seem ripped off ?

but then when you think about it.

are they asking us, the un-homed to pay for their care from our taxes ?

Are all todays BTLers that are buying property as a pension going to complain in the future when they are pensioners that they have to sell the properties to release funds?

'My property is my pension but I shouldn't have to sell it'

probably in the same way as you were cared for as a kid (school/ hospital etc) by them when they were paying their taxes.

The one positive from this is that it encourages more efficient use of the nation's housing stock. Pensioners living in 4 bed houses is pretty silly. Of course they are attached to their homes and community, but it is usually possible to buy somewhere more suitable and cheaper and easier to manage very close by. I'm sure if they were assisted to do this they would agree it was a great decision (when they have banked £100k).

Would there be anything wrong with encouraging older people to live in accommodation suitable for their needs? Is it any different from encouraging energy efficiency, recycling, small engined cars?

This nation needs to put its love affair with the house on the back burner.

Would there be anything wrong with encouraging older people to live in accommodation suitable for their needs? Is it any different from encouraging energy efficiency, recycling, small engined cars?

Council tax, water and energy bills should in some way encourage older people to live in smaller accomodation.

It's like my gran - lives in a 4-bed, double garage bungalow on her own when she would be just as happy in a 2-bed house/flat. On the other hand none of her grandkids can afford suitable accomodation to start familes etc.

Perhaps Council tax on pensioners is a good thing - tax them out of the big homes.

Couldn't care less, one thing this boom has taught me is every man for himself. No one has any sympathy for us FTBers. So why should I have sympathy for a rich old crumbly who is the sole occupant of a 3-4 bed house since his other half popped it by falling overboard from a cruise ship. Anyone who wants to question my morals should go and hump themselves. I'm past caring.

They have to sell their houses? Ah, f***ing diddums!

This is just another case of politicians sucking up to baby boomers. Baby boomers will be retiring in next few years, so guess what, theres to be a change to legislation to subsidise their care needs.

Canada beckons............

Couldn't care less, one thing this boom has taught me is every man for himself. No one has any sympathy for us FTBers. So why should I have sympathy for a rich old crumbly who is the sole occupant of a 3-4 bed house since his other half popped it by falling overboard from a cruise ship. Anyone who wants to question my morals should go and hump themselves. I'm past caring.

I think your view expresses the kind of detrimental impact this current house price boom has had on UK society.

I feel exactly the same - f*ck everybody else, especially the baby boomers that have started hoarding properties to let out. This boom has been all about greed and stupidity and a 'f*ck everyone else' attitude now perpetuates through our society.

Even my parents and grandmother who whilst claiming they feel sorry for today's young trying to buy their 1st property (ncluding myself and sisters) are secretly happy that their houses are now valued at £475K and £395K respectively and wouldn't like that to change!

Edited by munimula

Come on now, some of you young uns are missing the point here, just think of your own self interest.

Sooner or later these Baby Boomers and their parents, who incidently endured WW2 and the post war austerity years will pop their clogs. And you [unlike I who was offered a Timex watch without a strap as part of my fathers estate] will inherit mega riches for doing sweet FA but sitting on your %rses and waiting for it to drop into your lap.

Now you can call me a cynic if you like, but I bet none of you will be rushing out to donate your windfalls to struggling FTB'ers. But I suppose it's just another example of how consumer capitalism has poisioned the minds of todays gimme gimme gimme generation.

sits back and awaits reasoned debate :rolleyes:

i'm a youngun and guess what - i think it's a joke that people think they can just 'live for now' and forget about what will happen when they stop working.

so they have to sell their houses - so what? did it never ever cross their mind that one day they would get old? it happens to everyone (unless you die early) - so surely you should have the presence of mind to prepare for it financially.

if i had my way i would say - no state pension, for anybody

no benefits - for anybody

no social housing - for anybody

the only thing i would keep is free education right through to end of university. at the end of the day, we didn't ask to be born, so everyone should be given the same opportunity to education. maybe tie up education for post 16's with business apprenticeship so it isn't the tax system funding this.

when i went to uni i did so on day release - working the other 4 - my employer therefore paid the fees and i neither sponged off my parents or the state.

build some workhouses, and anyone who doesn't work, chuck 'em in, anyone doesn't like it, put them on a boat and take them somewhere far away.

as to immigration - let nobody in unless they have already been approved to come here. anyone turns up that isn't meant to be here - put them on a boat back to where they came from.

Sooner or later these Baby Boomers and their parents, who incidently endured WW2 and the post war austerity years will pop their clogs. And you [unlike I who was offered a Timex watch without a strap as part of my fathers estate] will inherit mega riches for doing sweet FA but sitting on your %rses and waiting for it to drop into your lap.

Not so sure about that. What may happen is many may be forced to sell their parents houses/assets to pay for nursery care. Had a conversation with one of our suppliers the other day. He was very upset at seeing his wife's parents assets being eroded away to pay for nursing home fees (something like £2000 week for a couple, one of them have alzheimers and need 24 hour care). They couldn't afford to pay themselves, so the parent's assets were put into a trust. The trust is in his wife's name and they have to account for every penny spent, and she also have to pay insurance (in case she'll run off with the money) something like £800 per year!! He was very upset when he told me this, not just the money issue, but having your life inspected in minute details. They both work full time so don't have the time to look after the parents (they live miles away). To be cynical, if you're only hope is inheriting, better hope they pop their clogs quickly!! :(

Wishful Thinking,

I think this thread was started by RFD because a report has come out recommending homes should not be sold to pay for care of the elderly, hence it was on the BBC. And RFD posted a knee jerk reaction to the fact he see's his tax money being diverted to the grubby greedy home owning boomer generation. So I merely replied in kind, spinning it as an opportunity not a set back :rolleyes:

Edited by Catch22

funnily enough, in the right circumstance, i think euthanasia should be allowed!

while some of my comments may sound extreme or may not be given credibility as i sound like someone having a rant (and to a certain extent i am) - i just don't believe the system works.

this extends to a lot of constraints of this modern world - gone are the days of innovation (despite many companies using it as the latest buzzword).

all we have now is a perpetuation of stupid ideas and constraints and attempts to plug holes on a ship that is going to sink (the uk).

rather than be brave and tackle the problem head on, we're heading for a slow and painful drowning.

Like many here I couldn't give a rats.

If they were smart; which most aren't because the only investment they have is the bland semi on some souless bland estate, they would transfer it to friends or relatives so they don't get pinged.

Serves them right, don't care much for them anyway. Rude and obnoxious lot; and they smell of wee.

I'm off back to NZ where people enjoy this thing called life, which to be honest I think many in this country have somehow lost touch with.

Can I just say that this thread must be one of the most downright nastiest I have read on this board.

What are we saying that it is ok for someone to sit on their **** and do nothing for their entire life and still qualify for a pension and care in their old age whilst those stupid enough to buy a house should be penalised.

These people now requiring care have paid in to the 'system' all their lives funding our hospitals, schools etc (basically funding our births and our schooling).

I think it is a sad indictment of this board when someone gains pleasure from a person having to sell their house to fund care.

Can I just say that this thread must be one of the most downright nastiest I have read on this board.

What are we saying that it is ok for someone to sit on their **** and do nothing for their entire life and still qualify for a pension and care in their old age whilst those stupid enough to buy a house should be penalised.

These people now requiring care have paid in to the 'system' all their lives funding our hospitals, schools etc (basically funding our births and our schooling).

I think it is a sad indictment of this board when someone gains pleasure from a person having to sell their house to fund care.

I take no pleasure at all. It's just a fact of life. Welcome to the dog eat dog world of England 2006. Strangely the Scots aren't means tested so Gordon will be ok then.

Edited by Lord Lucan

Well Blake you should not be suprised, its kin to the audacity possessed by some that look down on olive skinned people who live in an inter generational family structure, in which respect for the family patriarch is paramount. Indeed in their eyes they see them as lesser beings than themselves in every respct.

But as our roots in history and our Age of Empire indicate we are nought but a robber nation, so no wonder we breed a society that thinks only of self interest.

That said Blake, you would be wrong to tar the whole board with the same brush, it is a free forum so one should not be suprised to witness the full spectrum of opinion on here.

Edited by Catch22

Nationwide claim that the average FTB now spends 40% of their income on mortgage costs. The average age of an FTB is claimed to be around 34. Today's younger generation is expected to shell out all this for tiny, unsuitable accomodation i.e. too small to start a family in and has no money left over to save for their pension and yet there are old people living in 4-5 bed houses complaining that they have to sell them to fund their care.

To bloody right they should!

Nationwide claim that the average FTB now spends 40% of their income on mortgage costs. The average age of an FTB is claimed to be around 34. Today's younger generation is expected to shell out all this for tiny, unsuitable accomodation i.e. too small to start a family in and has no money left over to save for their pension and yet there are old people living in 4-5 bed houses complaining that they have to sell them to fund their care.

To bloody right they should!

FFS it's the banks and the politicians that have engineered this disparity in wealth, direct your anger towards them. They are the only ones that can bring about measures to correct the imbalance. But the facts are the imbalances suit them hence they engineered them in the first place. But no some of you lot would rather vent your anger on the old and infirm, should sure as hell help your cause I think not. Think for one minute what impression it gives out about this forum and the ideals it supports, fair housing for all. Or would you rather it come over as a home for bitter and spiteful oddballs.

Not directed at you personally muminula

Edited by Catch22

Side-stepping the issue about whether old people should sell their houses to pay for healthcare, I think this highlights a fundamtental flaw in the "My house is my pension" philosophy.

Property is very vulnerable to being "taxed" by government. Tax £20 a week of pensioners' income to pay for healthcare and no pensioner will vote for you, make them sell their houses when they're about to die and, well, they're not going to vote for you for long anyway. Cynical? You bet they are.

Wishful Thinking,

I think this thread was started by RFD because a report has come out recommending homes should not be sold to pay for care of the elderly, hence it was on the BBC. And RFD posted a knee jerk reaction to the fact he see's his tax money being diverted to the grubby greedy home owning boomer generation. So I merely replied in kind, spinning it as an opportunity not a set back :rolleyes:

Catch 22 - it was not in any way a dig at you - sorry if it came across that way. What I meant to say was we're screwed (generally speaking) either way. Can't afford to buy a house today, won't be any house to inherit as it may be cashed in to pay for nursing fees in a worse case scenario...

Personally, I don't expect to inherit anything and it doesn't bother me one bit. I care more about people than property...

Notice how the BBC go out and find the only 90yr old in Britain for a sob story.

It's the BABY BOOMERS WHO WILL BENEFIT if you make it state funded.

Pensioners should definitely definitely be means tested. Why don't they want it?

'Cos they're LOADED and don't want anyone to know.