House Price Crash Forum
desperate flatwife

Doing Whatever It Takes

I too have been led to a point of desperation by house prices. I thought I was a victim of time/circumstance and started getting depressed and bitter and slightly obsessed.

But that is not the way forward, I have so much in my life to be happy about.

So i started thinking, "what have I got to offer that is going to make me loads of money?" and I came up with an answer which I am sure will work.

Desperation encourages ingenuity, doesn't it?

So get thinking, we all have a way to make money without exploiting others. Find your way.

DesperateFlatwife

I too have been led to a point of desperation by house prices. I thought I was a victim of time/circumstance and started getting depressed and bitter and slightly obsessed.

But that is not the way forward, I have so much in my life to be happy about.

So i started thinking, "what have I got to offer that is going to make me loads of money?" and I came up with an answer which I am sure will work.

Desperation encourages ingenuity, doesn't it?

So get thinking, we all have a way to make money without exploiting others. Find your way.

DesperateFlatwife

Sell your kidneys?

hmmm...

How could a desperate flatwife make easy money???

It's got to be a brothel or a... no sorry, it's a brothel isn't it.

Pretend to be the Landlord and remortgage the flat.

Buy moneybelt, suitcases and plane ticket to Brazil...

I thought I would bump this thread and bring it back on topic.

It raises a question I have thought seriously about in the last few months .....

Is it possible to have a decent standard of living in the UK anymore if you are an employee doing a normal 9-5 job?

My question relates to those not already on the property ladder e.g young singles or couples starting off in life (possibly with university debt) and having little or no parental financial support.

If you are in this situation can an 'average' person make it in the UK at the moment? Now I am not one for 'new paradigms' and all that. (things may change - yes we may have a property crash/inflation/defaltion/depression etc) but AT THE MOMENT IF THINGS STOOD STILL can it be done?

I don't think it can anymore so where does that leave us?

It raises a question I have thought seriously about in the last few months .....

Is it possible to have a decent standard of living in the UK anymore if you are an employee doing a normal 9-5 job?

My question relates to those not already on the property ladder e.g young singles or couples starting off in life (possibly with university debt) and having little or no parental financial support.

If you are in this situation can an 'average' person make it in the UK at the moment? Now I am not one for 'new paradigms' and all that. (things may change - yes we may have a property crash/inflation/defaltion/depression etc) but AT THE MOMENT IF THINGS STOOD STILL can it be done?

Provider of telephone sex?

Rapidly becoming a 3rd world failed state.

It's a good question, but I can already hear the responses:

• Never was easy, all those who made it worked overtime or had a second job.

• What's a decent standard of living? IPods, Mobile phones, internet, .... you young people want everything now ... when I were a lad etc. etc.

• University? What a waste of time, that's where you went wrong, degrees these days aren't worth more than bogroll. University of Life, mate, that's what made me rich.

• Normal 9 - 5 job? You lazy t*sser.

• You need to have some balls and put all your spare cash into BTLs, gold, dotcoms, tulips; anyone can do it, everyone's a winner.

• Moaning about "little or no parental financial support" -- sounds like the politics of envy to me.

• So, missed the boat have you? Why don't you get out there and get a better job instead of coming on here and moaning about it.

Repeat ad nauseam.

frugalista

I don't think it can either (though it was fine just even 5 years ago). This is IMO a huge, huge demographic timebomb. When you prevent the average, law-abiding, decent young person from having a life, a family, and future prospects (and particularly from having a family) then you store up huge huge amounts of demographic trouble. People forget that they will need a thriving future generation in order to pay for their own pensions, hospitals, healthcare etc. All those gloating "you've missed-the-boat" types will find that in the future they are in desperate need of doctors, and nurses, and moreover, managers of healthcare facilities, technicians, cleaners, and geriatric social workers (I mean social workers for elderly people, not elderly social workers :P) - all those average people who keep everything running.

It reminds me of that bit in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy about the planet that thought it could exist with just the workers and the rich and shipped all its middle managers, telephone sanitisers and so on off on a spaceship. Then everyone left on the planet was wiped out by a virulent disease contracted from a dirty telephone :P

IMO we're getting near that scenario, only generationally. We'll end up with a lost generation, people who have just gone, emigrated; babies that no-one could afford to have; the ordinary people who everyone ignored who couldn't afford to have that decent standard of living; that no-one will think matters until they wake up and find the economy and the welfare state has gone completely kaput in a few years' time.

As RichM said on another thread today - it's the sheer shortsightedness of it that is the worst thing of all. :(

Edited by Zaranna