House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Anti-Kirsty

Flyboarding

Hi everyone,

I've enjoyed reading the posts on this site for a long time but I've never had a story to tell until now. I got home last night and was surprised to see a shiny white estate agent's board advertising a property To Let outside the small block of flats where I rent. As you do, I went on to the estate agent's website for a nosy, but couldn't see my block anywhere. Fair enough, I thought, perhaps they haven't updated it yet.

So my partner gave them a ring today to enquire about the flat, and they told her:

"Oh yes, we've had a couple of calls about this one. Thing is, it's actually a mistake, we don't have a property there."

Mistake my bottom! We've reported them to the local council's trading standards.

Has anyone else had experience of this? Did you get a response from the council?

I'm actually quite pleased, I feel like by reporting them I may have a hand in bringing down the VI's evil empire. :)

The Anti-Kirsty

Leave it there. Photograph it every day for 2 weeks, then write to the agency asking them to remove it. Keep photographing it every day. After another couple of weeks present all info to trading standards. They'll do nothing (probably).

Legitimate boards are ugly enough, flyboards are a complete pain. ANd they make it much harder for decent agents to compete, as the dumb masses assume that the boards are all legit and the little agent with one property actually has 50.

Guest Fiddlesticks

The Trading Standards office will do bugger all. Take it down yourself ASAP, why let them have free advertising space?

It always amazes me how timid people are about taking the damn things down, even when they're on their own property. People will politely call and call the estate agents for weeks asking for someone to come round. Whenever I've moved into a place let by an agent I've always taken the "Let" sign down immediately after I've collected the keys.

The Trading Standards office will do bugger all. Take it down yourself ASAP, why let them have free advertising space?

It always amazes me how timid people are about taking the damn things down, even when they're on their own property. People will politely call and call the estate agents for weeks asking for someone to come round. Whenever I've moved into a place let by an agent I've always taken the "Let" sign down immediately after I've collected the keys.

Leave it up and go via the planning route. Mentioning that you have complained to your councillor regarding the advert and he mentioned the Town and Country planning act. Then mention that the maximum fine is £10,000.

I'm sure that the sign would be down by close of business today.