House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

Lots Of Housing Stories On Bbc Breakfast Today

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/breakfast/4856622.stm

1. Care maze & minister interviewed about assuring a reduction in forcing the elderly to sell there homes to pay for care. Various interviews with relatives of elderly saying how they think its wrong that they should have to sell the house to pay for care when they've worked all their life-cue emotional /sad music.

The cycnic in me says, they would say that when it means less inheritence for them. It is sad, but the reality is state cannot afford it anymore with aging population etc.

2. Wayne Hemingway, ex fashion designer was interviewed ramping a 'sustainable' partnership with Wimpey for homes in London. IMO he is another idiot abusing the word sustainability with greenwash, who's got in bed with the devil builder of corp. drone hutches. Talk of 200, 000 houses, many in SE. related to http://www.georgewimpey.co.uk/In+your+home/Wayne+Hemingway/

Hemingway wittered vaguely on about how he got a grant 15-20 years ago to do up his home & got on ladder,whereas this is very difficult now. Seemed to think that Gov grants should pay for solar panels & windmills on homes. Ignored facts like resource reduction is a priority, rather than spending on new tech & new wimpey boxes.

Wayne says "Fashion is about change and human beings need to change their appearance. But it is easier to change your frock than your house. There is less frivolity and more longevity in housing, but the design process is the same."

:angry: :blink: Wayne you muppet, architects train for 7+ years, fashion design students ponce about for 3 yrs ripping off designs by tracing vogue drawings. They are poles apart !!

3. 1000 new homes being build in Merseyside, with 5000 elsewhere in NW. can't remember by who, poss. housing assoc.

4. Also talk of water problems for households in SE UK

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Was disappointed - he did ramble a bit didn't he. He had a point about people being 34 before buying/starting a family. This is the biggest problem - there's not going to be any middle ground of agegroups to pay the pensions in 2 generations time.

All Bill Twatty wanted to talk about was water shortages.

Edited by stillill

Annoying as hell if more pensioners expect fewer workers to pay for their care whilst their kids sell off the house and spend the cash.

I don't see a problem with people who can no longer live in their home having to sell it to pay towards care.

Maybe there's got to be some way of allowing people to give an inheritance and pay for their care. Oh yeah they could easily set an allowance

Oh they do but its not much

" For example, if you have £25,000 savings, you will have to pay the full cost of your care.

There is also a 'lower limit' - any savings you have below this should not be counted. For example, if you have £8,000 in savings

"

http://www.helptheaged.org.uk/Health/Care/.../_Section_C.htm

Wasn't there some mention of paying council tax when you've died?

Maybe old people's assets should be measured and the cost of care calculated and on death the family gets a bill which is weighed up against inheritance tax levels etc.

Just another thought that this report might be written by people whose parents are starting to need care and are trying to protect further what they see as generational rights.

Annoying as hell if more pensioners expect fewer workers to pay for their care whilst their kids sell off the house and spend the cash.

I don't see a problem with people who can no longer live in their home having to sell it to pay towards care.

Maybe old people's assets should be measured and the cost of care calculated and on death the family gets a bill which is weighed up against inheritance tax levels etc.

Just another thought that this report might be written by people whose parents are starting to need care and are trying to protect further what they see as generational rights.

I think it's the injustice of those who have saved, have worked hard to buy a house and hopefully provide for their offspring being taken to the cleaners when they get old - compared with those who have never saved, never bothered to buy a property and now expect the nation to wipe their bottoms.

My Mum's mum had to sell her house to pay for care as we couldn't look after her.

The government can't have this both ways. They want old people to sell their houses to pay for healthcare - yet suggestions seem to be that their houses should be MEWd to pay for their children's first house (at 34!).

Hang on - if I don't own a house, and my folks MEW theirs to help buy mine, then they need healthcare so they sell their house to pay for it - but it'll be worth nothing. So I get a house for free and they get looked after by the state! Result.

Alternatively, those people could do the decent thing and take their parents in to look after them, which then would morally entitle them to their inheritance.

I think it's the injustice of those who have saved, have worked hard to buy a house and hopefully provide for their offspring being taken to the cleaners when they get old - compared with those who have never saved, never bothered to buy a property and now expect the nation to wipe their bottoms.

My Mum's mum had to sell her house to pay for care as we couldn't look after her.

The government can't have this both ways. They want old people to sell their houses to pay for healthcare - yet suggestions seem to be that their houses should be MEWd to pay for their children's first house (at 34!).

Hang on - if I don't own a house, and my folks MEW theirs to help buy mine, then they need healthcare so they sell their house to pay for it - but it'll be worth nothing. So I get a house for free and they get looked after by the state! Result.

"Hang on - if I don't own a house, and my folks MEW theirs to help buy mine, then they need healthcare so they sell their house to pay for it - but it'll be worth nothing. So I get a house for free and they get looked after by the state! Result."

You've got a point there, I wonder if this has increased Mew & what are the % chances of parents dropping dead compared to a long say in care, (so having to sell house) . My folks are still alive, but 3 out of 4 of my grandparents died after a few weeks in hospital with the 4th going senile & living in care for years, so he would have been forced to sell.

As the surviving partner inherits the others assets on death, its 50/50 in this case. So I guess it would be worth mewing.

I saw a disturbing tv doc the other week (poss. Panorama or similar) on elderly care & house selling. It seemed state was ruthless in clawing back the cost where it could, by forcing sales for the care of the aging disabled as well as the elderly.

Alternatively, those people could do the decent thing and take their parents in to look after them, which then would morally entitle them to their inheritance.

That's how it worked in the old days eh?

Was talking to someone about the asian community being in the situation where women stay at home to look after elderly parents - and that this is one of the reasons they resist the idea of women going out to work more because they're protecting their family values.

With respect, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Looking after a seriously infirm or incapable relative is a full time job and a half and most houses are not set up to cope and you don't have the resources or skills to do it. [and that's experience talking] - it's simply not possible to do it at home.