House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bingley Bloke

Gold – How Do I Invest Without Physically Buying The Stuff?

How do I invest in gold without physically buying it? I could speculate on the gold price via spread-betting, but I'd rather gain exposure to the market without being tied to three month contracts. I'm a tad sceptical about phyisically buying gold bullion as I might struggle to offload it if the price peaked. I'd like somewhere online where I could just go and invest, say, £2K in gold, and then end my investment when I wanted. Something offering leverage would be a bonus too.

Anyone?

Take a look at:

BullionVault

and

Goldmoney

Both are pretty simple to set up and transfer funds to.

Bullionvault has a minimum storage fee but a much lower spread, all the information is on their respective websites for you to weigh up the pros and cons.

You can hold physical silver with goldmoney if that interests you.

Hi BB

You mentioned leverage - gold mining shares would give you this. You could go for individual stocks or a fund such as Merrill Lynch Gold fund.

Regards,

crude

Aw now come on, you gotta pay for it mate.

Err... Yeah... I realise I have to pay for it, I was meaning how do I invest in it without having to take physical ownership of actual pieces of gold that I would then struggle to sell if the price peaked and noone wanted to buy it from me. Some electronic method that actually allows be to dump the stuff at the click of a mouse is what I'm looking for.

Anyway, thanks to those who interpreted my question the way I meant it to be interpreted!

Err... Yeah... I realise I have to pay for it, I was meaning how do I invest in it without having to take physical ownership of actual pieces of gold that I would then struggle to sell if the price peaked and noone wanted to buy it from me. Some electronic method that actually allows be to dump the stuff at the click of a mouse is what I'm looking for.

Anyway, thanks to those who interpreted my question the way I meant it to be interpreted!

I actually do my trading via bullion.com. See the links page here on HPC.com.

Buy Gold mining or exploration shares.

They have vastly outperformed Gold- especially the ones quoted in Canada

Any pointers of which companies to research? i.e. names <_<

Guest boredwaiting

Just what I was about to ask!

Trying to find out this information and which companies to use is like getting blood out of a stone :)

You mentioned leverage - gold mining shares would give you this. You could go for individual stocks or a fund such as Merrill Lynch Gold fund.

A couple of things to consider before piling into mining stocks

- UK miners have outperformed the market in the last five years more than NADAQ beat the S&P in the run in to March 2000.

-They stand at 40 year relative highs

-They have outperformed for seven consecutive years - only once in the history of the stock market has any sector out performed for eight

- Using a simple DCF, they now discount 20% medium term growth rates. No sector has ever done this rate of growth.

- Money is piling in to mining trackers and particularly the Merrill Funds in the way it used to go in to Henderson and Aberdeen Global Technology - just before they imploded.

You buy these now you have to totally buy in to the 'its different time' thesis. I would be very careful.