House Price Crash Forum

More Exercise

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Saved for who? Us? Bullocks (and don't give me any of that trickle down aka peed on from a great height rubbish either).

Great - another stick to beat the downtrodden with. I run 3 times a week and cycle 20 miles each day commuting (so no poncy gym gets any of my cash).

Agreed, paying money and belonging to a gym does not get you fit, but you will have a lighter wallet. In order to get fitter then you must bite the bullet and get outside and exercise. Bike is best. Nice view, real air and a sense of journey and of doing something useful.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Is this government for real? uh...you need to do exercise to get healthy. Uh...smokey atmospheres cause cancer.... They treat us like we're all kids, so more and more people act like it. Why not treat us like adults? "You get fat - you die. Your loss. You smoke - you get cancer - you die. Your loss. Get off your arses."

I'm not a massive fan of Norman Tebbit by the way, but we need more plain talking, rather than more ******ing pledges. 20 minutes from a swimming pool? What - by car? By bus? More pollutants, more reliance on oil. Some people live more than 20 minutes from the nearest Post Office, they're unlikely to be building swimming pools in the Highlands or deepest Wales, but I guess most voters live in the South East so let's keep them happy.

By the way, if this Government was in any way serious about health don't you think they'd give tax breaks to those who are offered gym membership by their employer? They don't - you pay the full tax whack as it's a "gift" apparently. Thanks Gordon, you fat ride.

HOLA447

Agreed, paying money and belonging to a gym does not get you fit, but you will have a lighter wallet. In order to get fitter then you must bite the bullet and get outside and exercise. Bike is best. Nice view, real air and a sense of journey and of doing something useful.

I agree - there's also a tax break available from an employer whereby they buy you a bike & you pay it back, or something.

HOLA448

No need to join a gym unless you live in a tiny flat and want to lift heavy things. Buy an olympic barbell set for 200 quid, it'l last you forever. Put a chin-up bar in a doorway. Skipping rope. And go for a run for free. you could get in as good a shape as you'd ever want to be in with just those things, and they are all yours for life (1 off payment).

HOLA449
HOLA4410

That's the only trouble, esp if your idea of cycling is more like this, bugger, pic's too big. Love to see the stat's on sick leave because of injury from exercise- my ideal 'cycle ride' involves a chairlift to the top of a ski run then down to the valley as quick as humanly possible.

Edited by Badger

HOLA4411

rubicon its almost over. rubicon has come so close to me.

..check the angles from both forces...

there all part of the big machine now....

turn around from the suffering silent.

you cant face your countries using you.

tell his family that he wont be ok. H...P..C..C...

overcome by the need to fight it. fight it. fight it.

HOLA4412

No need to join a gym unless you live in a tiny flat and want to lift heavy things. Buy an olympic barbell set for 200 quid, it'l last you forever. Put a chin-up bar in a doorway. Skipping rope. And go for a run for free. you could get in as good a shape as you'd ever want to be in with just those things, and they are all yours for life (1 off payment).

Poorly managed exercise is much worse for you than none.

Running on roads without proper footwear will cause major problems which are long term.

Pull a muscle and see how many days you have off work when you can't move.

Simple things that would help if the bike scheme for employees was more widespread (like the computer one they're currently killing) - then if the roads were safer more people might cycle to work (Other provisions like showers at work etc and more cycle lanes also needed though)

not being bullied by the food companies over salt levels.

If they really want better health for people they could replace tax credits and benefits partly with fruit and vegetables.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Hehe, my gym costs me £2 a month. Only problem is it's an army one (I'm a civvy), so the lycra clad honey count is very low indeed.

Keeping fit probably does make you less likely to get ill, but more importantly increases your tolerance to pain. People who get fortnight-long colds are generally the "help, help, I'm in mild discomfort" type who weren't allowed to play in the mud when they were kids.

HOLA4415

People who get fortnight-long colds are generally the "help, help, I'm in mild discomfort" type who weren't allowed to play in the mud when they were kids.

hehe I know what you mean. Mind you I was talking to a colleague taking the mickey out of another colleague who always goes off ill when she's got a cold, then I got one on Friday and went off ill :rolleyes:

HOLA4416

I love the idea that a govt grant to help people buy a bike will improve people's health.

Most people have about 8 bikes in the garage in pristine condition (plus some dust).

What people need to do is to try sitting on the things and moving the pedally-bits.

I do 22km commuting every day across south London. It's much nicer and easier than most people realise - bus and cycle lanes for most of the route, rarely rains for the 35 minutes it takes each way. I never get punctures with my new fancy tyres, I'm never late for work, or stressed due to unreliable public transport. I never put on weight, despite being rather greedy, I rarely get colds, since I am never cooped up in a small compartment with 100 ill people.

Plus I save the cost of the tube ticket - £1000/year.

Downside; I am insufferably smug.

Edited by rockdoctor

HOLA4417

It's not the odd cold that causes most time off.

It's mental health problems. Stress, anxiety etc

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

One of the best copeing strategies for stress at work is physical exercise. The purchase of a nice bike doesn't on its own count as exercise, as has been stated you actually have to get on it and pedal to make it work.

HOLA4420

One of the best copeing strategies for stress at work is physical exercise. The purchase of a nice bike doesn't on its own count as exercise, as has been stated you actually have to get on it and pedal to make it work.

Yes I agree exercise does help stress, depression etc.

HOLA4421

30 years ago most days off sick were caused by colds and flu.

20 years ago most days off sick were caused by lower back pain.

In the last 10 or so years most days off sick were caused by stress. Many doctors didn't even believe stress existed until the mid 1990s.

HOLA4422

30 years ago most days off sick were caused by colds and flu.

20 years ago most days off sick were caused by lower back pain.

In the last 10 or so years most days off sick were caused by stress. Many doctors didn't even believe stress existed until the mid 1990s.

I guess that more people that can't handle stress are getting into stressful jobs. A natural consequence of replacing exams with coursework at schools and universities.

The human race is currently regressing (in the west, anyway)...technology is turning us into a feeble, flabby bunch who are scared to go out in the rain. My (perfectly able bodied) next door neighbour drives to the newsagent 5 or 6 hundred yards from the house.

HOLA4423
Most people have about 8 bikes in the garage in pristine condition (plus some dust).

What people need to do is to try sitting on the things and moving the pedally-bits.

A couple of years ago I was informed that the number of kids at a local school that didn't have a bike were so few you could count them on your fingers. Twice a day the roads around the school are gridlocked solid as parents drop off and pick up their kids in cars and SUVs. Not one kid is seen on a bike. Did you know that short car journeys wear out engines badly and catalytic converters don't work until they are hot so urban air pollution isn't much better than it was 15 years ago.

HOLA4424

I joined a gym in Nov 2004. I can be very cheap and don't like to pay for something I'm not using. I was hoping to loose some weight. Any weight loss has been minimal. Still fat I'm afraid. However, my body has changed, I have dropped 2 dress sizes, my tummy has come in, my posture is better, I get sick less, when I do get sick I get well faster, I deal with stress better, I'm less bitchy, & the last time I took my kids sledding, I was climbing that hill like a hot knife through butter.

Get off your butt and move, you'll feel better.

HOLA4425

I joined a gym in Nov 2004. I can be very cheap and don't like to pay for something I'm not using. I was hoping to loose some weight. Any weight loss has been minimal. Still fat I'm afraid. However, my body has changed

Weights first, cardio last!! Trust me!