House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Leodhasach

People Are Putting Money Into Share Isas, Apparently

BBC article

"In February, net sales of equity Isas were £131m, up more than 60% year-on-year, says the Investment Management Association (IMA).

Experts suggest the rise in sales indicates that confidence has returned among many UK private investors. "

"From 2000 to 2004, Isa sales slumped as global stock markets fell in value.

At one stage, in early 2004, Isa sales were so bad that they had become a virtual irrelevance, particularly when compared to the billions being pumped by investors into buy-to-let property. "

....so if the "billions are being pumped" into ISAs now....for BTL, that means?? ;)

BBC article

"In February, net sales of equity Isas were £131m, up more than 60% year-on-year, says the Investment Management Association (IMA).

Experts suggest the rise in sales indicates that confidence has returned among many UK private investors. "

"From 2000 to 2004, Isa sales slumped as global stock markets fell in value.

At one stage, in early 2004, Isa sales were so bad that they had become a virtual irrelevance, particularly when compared to the billions being pumped by investors into buy-to-let property. "

....so if the "billions are being pumped" into ISAs now....for BTL, that means?? ;)

Well i'm not suprised, for those of us that have ISA's the rate keep falling!! Halifax have just dropped theirs 4.75%, Abbey's has been cut. If you can't read the market and want to at least try and stay ahead of inflation, Maxi ISA's look the only sensible thing! It's gutting watching my saving rates slow tick down!! :(

LOL.. sheeple dumping at the bottom and buying at the top again :)

Lots of investment fund-type posters on the billboards around at the moment as we reach another FY end, but far more prolific than in previous years - could be a sign that the markets are about to head south for a sustained period.

It's a catch 22 situation - the funds need a few years of stock market growth before they can credibly advertise their YoY performance, but by the time the market has been climbing for that long, the markets have just about reached exhaustion and we are likely to enter a bear market. Sheeple will always fall for it, of course. Those who know how the markets work will take it as a warning sign to begin taking their profits.

Edited by Van

LOL.. sheeple dumping at the bottom and buying at the top again :)

Lots of investment fund-type posters on the billboards around at the moment as we reach another FY end, but far more prolific than in previous years - could be a sign that the markets are about to head south for a sustained period.

It's a catch 22 situation - the funds need a few years of stock market growth before they can credibly advertise their YoY performance, but by the time the market has been climbing for that long, the markets have just about reached exhaustion and we are likely to enter a bear market. Sheeple will always fall for it, of course. Those who know how the markets work will take it as a warning sign to begin taking their profits.

Shed loads of IPO's, A and M speculation every two minutes (i.e companies running out of ideas), widespread share buy backs (companies running out of ideas again) and now retail product money coming in - all probable sell signals in my book.

I'll never forget how they chose to introduce Share ISAs just before the dot.com bubble burst and the SMs with it...

Some say we're still in a long and protracted financial assets bear market. With this kinda of gambling mentality built into the sheeple, I can see why...

ISAs were not a new concept, just a new name. They replaced PEPs and Tessas which allowed you to do much the same thing - invest in shares & cash, tax free.

I've always seen ISAs as a tax-free gift from the government and a no-brainer for higher rate tax payers with £7k spare to invest per annum.

You just have to be brave enough to use up your allowance when no-one else will go near shares, not just when it's all the rage again (like now).

Go away in May... at least that is my plan. ISA's and PEPS always suck in a lot of money at the year end as people remember to set them up too late. I used to do it. Now I open them at the start of the tax year and feed money in gradually.

Soon be time for profit taking in my share ISA's

ISA's and PEPs are difficult and slow to trade unless you set up with one of the online companies. Watch out for some that won't let you hold cash.

My plan is to liquidate my ISA's in the new financial year, but leave them as cash ready to buy more shares... still within the ISA wrappers.

Some research is needed to find online brokers offering good execution and the option of retaining cash (no interest mind you).

One I found is squaregain.co.uk

Anyone know of others that fit this profile? I need to find a couple more.