House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lowrentyieldmakessense(honest!)

Deposit Delay

tenancy ceased over 28 days ago and despite chasing the agent we haven't yet received our deposit or been notified of the amount that the landlord intends to retain re dilapidations (not that there are any)

thinking about the next course of action

do i threaten court proceedings and then commence court action or

do i use the tenancy deposit scheme for regulated agents (my concern is if i dont agree with the independent case examiner i will be bound by his decision)

anyone got any experience of the above

Edited by lowrentyieldmakessense(honest!)

Go to the small claims court website, look at the example of the letter to send them advising them you are planning to go to small claims court, and write one and send it off to the landlord by recorded delivery with a deadline of 2 weeks. It is time to stop dealing with the landlord's agent and deal directly with the landlord.

Go to the small claims court website, look at the example of the letter to send them advising them you are planning to go to small claims court, and write one and send it off to the landlord by recorded delivery with a deadline of 2 weeks. It is time to stop dealing with the landlord's agent and deal directly with the landlord.

not got the landlords address though - do i send it care of the managing agent

not got the landlords address though - do i send it care of the managing agent

Can you get the landlords address off of the land registry website?

By law the landlord should have given you his address as part of the tennancy agreement.

YG...if an agent is managing it then it is not a legal requirement to have the landlords address. There must merely be an address in England or Wales to send correspondance to, which would be the address of the agent. I would suggest attempting to find his address from land registry first, otherwise send C/O the agent, as they must forward the mail on, but this is obviously not ideal.

Our landlord came into our house while we weren't there (flatmate in hospital, me on holiday) and had the house professionally cleaned. That was with the contract still running. Now she wants to deduct that money from our deposits. Does she have any ground to stand on? Our only document is the "Tenancy Agreement", you know the sort you can buy at WH Smith. On there it doesn't say anything about cleaning, just to leave the house in a clean condition. We never got any inventory nor signed anything else when we moved in or seen receipts that she had the house professionally cleaned before we moved in....

how do you consider our chances of getting the deposit back, what would be the best next steps?

Thanks

E

If you deal with her in writing, setting everything up to go to the small claims court, you have a 100% chance of getting your deposit back. When it comes to this stage of the contract, I wouldn't even both with telephoning her. Send three recorded delivery letters and go to the small claims court. It will take time but if there is no inventory signed by yourself, then she has no leg to stand on.

Pay your last months rent. If you don't the court will come down in favour of the landlord.

If she entered your home, and has sent you written details that she has entered your home without your permission, then try demanding some compensation. My guess would be 1 week's compensation is fair. Start this now and add it to your claim for your deposit back.