House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
homeless

Wembley Workers Laid Off Over Pay

Hundreds of workers helping build the new Wembley Stadium have been laid off over a pay row with contractors.

Union officials said steelworkers, scaffolders and welders were given notice that they would no longer be employed as of next Tuesday.

The lay-offs, the latest problem to hit the new £757m stadium, are because sub-contractors have not been paid.

Last week work stopped for a day after a 50-tonne steel rafter fell from the roof of the stadium.

'Carry on working'

The GMB union said its members had been told they were being laid off because there was not enough money to pay wages.

National officer Tom Kelly said: "We have instructed out members to carry on working normally until we have an opportunity to resolve the matter.

"The stadium is not finished and someone will have to employ our members to finish the job."

Frank Westerman, of Amicus, said: "We have advised our members to work normally while we try to resolve who is going to employ them and ensure that they will be paid."

i think deep down we all knew this was gonna happen

well thats it then. sure sign that the eocnomy is collapsing. this is it folks. This is what weve been waiting for. were all destroyed and houses will be worth nothing after this.

well thats it then. sure sign that the eocnomy is collapsing. this is it folks. This is what weve been waiting for. were all destroyed and houses will be worth nothing after this.

Is that HPC Hero thread still going? I nominate Bagehot for 'dedication to the cause'.

Actually, the fact that someone has taken the time to post these kind of comments on every thread is itself a sure sign that the economy is collapsing. This is it folks! Land is going to be worth nothing. Houses will be worth something if they're timber and can be used for fuel to keep warm.

Bagehot dont realy understand this site at all, he just comes here to laugh and have a dig at the funny little doom mongers.Thats his take on it all.

Hes a perfect example of someone that truly deserves to be shafted, him and the many like him that have not been subject to what many here have are here to just rub our noses in it.Hes the kind that would demand the chicken bones be served to the dogs before the servants got there share.He would lie there farting on his chaise lounge jollily laughing at the kid that walked past with no shoes on cackling to his man servant about the funny little urchin.

Then afterwards he would rape his man servant and drink himself into oblivion.

after which he would wake up about 3pm and go down to the factory and sack a few men that were 5 mins late for work that morning as a lesson to the rest of the ragamuffins.

Yes life is good for bagehot, i sincerly wish he had to spend a life in the shoes of many here.

was a nice day dont ya think when chris ewbank went bankrupt :)

homeless

you got me there. thats exactlty me. also i have had time on my hands and am conceding to myself - that without a shock to the system - we, the bears, got it wrong. i got it wrong. i hope the HPC does occur (not least as someone who rents). I think I am gonna wheen myself of this site now. good luck and sorry if I annoyed you.

Take a Labour Party in office, get some big projects underway and what have you got.

Organised Micromanagement Chaos.

They have not a single project that you could even remotely call a success to their name. The Millenium Big Top is one example, the Scottish Parliament another, but in reality all of them are failures.

The biggest one of course is the NHS, the UK has yet to pay for the new overpriced buildings but one day soon someone will.