House Price Crash Forum

It's Getting Nasty On Moneysavingexpert!

red

HOLA441

I'm talking about 1998, not all that distant. I was single, and earning 20K - the average wage at the time I believe. A single person - male or female - should be able to buy a decent home on the average wage.

It was tough for me for the first couple of years, but not ridiculous. A couple should be able to fly it.

Should... and here we are.

You should get your home valued now (or check your neighbours on nethouseprices if any similar have sold recently) and compare to average wages now. Would you still be able/willing to buy it today?

EDIT: Think I took you post out of context as if sayin people should easily be able to buy today. Just noticed your earlier posts.

Above commet applies tho to those who have owned property for a while and argue that FTB arn't screwed heavily in todays market.

Edited by Anti_Claus

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

See, I have been staying at home for the past 12 years. I'm a freak today. I have been trying to re-enter the work force with little luck. I think I would be better off telling people I have been a crack ho for the past 12 years than a stay at home mom. And the worst part is, woman are worse than men. Men seem to respect it, woman look at me like "how could I do such a thing?" <_<<_<

Yeah but I bet your kids respect you more.

Why dont you open up a day care centre and then you will be the one laughing.

HOLA443

There's a wonderful balancing mechanism in palce - that's how markets work.

Agreed. Although when a 40% correction occurs, many will not use the word 'wonderful'.

You should get your home valued now (or check your neighbours on nethouseprices if any similar have sold recently) and compare to average wages now. Would you still be able/willing to buy it today?

I sold it for £150K in October. And no, I would not want to buy at that price! Nor should anyone else in their right mind.

God, I'm such a hypocrite...

HOLA444

Quote megaflop - 'I live with my parents in one of the most affluent areas of south Manchester, which boasts the largest - and arguably some of the most desireable - detached property Manchester has to offer.

For about a year now, my friend's neighbour has had his £675K detached on the market. Two signs. No sign of moving though. Recently my neighbours have joined them, similar price bracket, been on (seriously) about 6 months, just sprouted a second agent's sign last weekend. Two more neighbours have similar properties on the market covertly - Rightmove only - but no signs. Unsurprising really, since it's a cul-de-sac, and too many signs would look bad. Driving around I noticed another such house had sprouted two signs.

It sounds as though you live near me and the market appears to be picking up to me - we've had plenty of interest and offers recently and there are a lot of sold boards appearing - it's definitely been slow the last 18 months but my EA friends says March has been the busiest month in 2 years wrt sales agreed.

Sorry, made a complete hash of quoting there - too much wine!

Oops, am not an EA myself in case that's not clear, if you even care, which you probably don't...

Agree 100% with all that 'casual observer' says (in this thread that is)

Off to bed before my hole digging gets out of hand

Edited by Glitterygook2

HOLA445
Guest Winners and Losers

we've had plenty of interest and offers recently and there are a lot of sold boards appearing - it's definitely been slow the last 18 months but my EA friends says March has been the busiest month in 2 years wrt sales agreed.

Oops, am not an EA myself in case that's not clear, if you even care, which you probably don't...

Thy doth protest too much.

HOLA446

Yeah but I bet your kids respect you more.

Why dont you open up a day care centre and then you will be the one laughing.

I don't regret staying home. I do believe it says a lot about what is valued.

HOLA447
Guest wrongmove

I wouldn't worry about the opinions of others on this matter Karen. People who have made a free choice about childcare will respect your free choice, whatever their own was. The others are probably just projecting their own resentment or guilt or confusion or whatever

HOLA448

I didnt say you did. I think it is a good thing (coming from someone who was brought up by au pairs).

You said you were now trying to get back to work. Surely with all these working mums there is money to be made looking after their kids. Plus you would be 12 years qualified.

HOLA449

I didnt say you did. I think it is a good thing (coming from someone who was brought up by au pairs).

You said you were now trying to get back to work. Surely with all these working mums there is money to be made looking after their kids. Plus you would be 12 years qualified.

Bit of a long-shot, but you're not the very same pioneering drum'n'bass DJ?

If you are, I saw you twice in Bristol, Anson Rooms and Blue Mountain Club, and I thought you were great.

HOLA4410

Quote megaflop - 'I live with my parents in one of the most affluent areas of south Manchester, which boasts the largest - and arguably some of the most desireable - detached property Manchester has to offer.

For about a year now, my friend's neighbour has had his £675K detached on the market. Two signs. No sign of moving though. Recently my neighbours have joined them, similar price bracket, been on (seriously) about 6 months, just sprouted a second agent's sign last weekend. Two more neighbours have similar properties on the market covertly - Rightmove only - but no signs. Unsurprising really, since it's a cul-de-sac, and too many signs would look bad. Driving around I noticed another such house had sprouted two signs.

It sounds as though you live near me and the market appears to be picking up to me - we've had plenty of interest and offers recently and there are a lot of sold boards appearing - it's definitely been slow the last 18 months but my EA friends says March has been the busiest month in 2 years wrt sales agreed.

Agree 100% with all that 'casual observer' says (in this thread that is)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/action/publicsite.PropertySearch

I thought you said you sold it, on the bricks and mortar thread :blink:

Prestwich Park Road South, eh dropping 25k KKKKrashhhhh

QUOTE(Glitterygook2 @ Mar 27 2006, 04:56 PM)

No replies to that I see!

Good for you B&M - we've 'sold' too and since first buyer tried playing silly games and lost it, a second purchaser is now proceeding at a higher price!

I'm no expert but things certainly seem to be picking up locally - lots of sold boards up and according to EA friend March has been mad busy wrt agreeing sales.

Edited by undersupply

HOLA4411

Bit of a long-shot, but you're not the very same pioneering drum'n'bass DJ?

If you are, I saw you twice in Bristol, Anson Rooms and Blue Mountain Club, and I thought you were great.

hahaha

No sorry. I used to get stick all the time at school 'where's groverider?'

HOLA4412
She cannot afford to move. Last year they thought they hd made money...This year they realise this house price madness has been affecting them through stealth.

imagine then if you had truly beleived this and then MEWd about 40ks worth of debtbuster equity loans from this 'value'. thinking all the new inflation would pay for all the new cookers, kitchens and holidays.?

this bust may see houses fall to 2001 levels. roughly half. then they will be shafted to the max.

HOLA4413

hahaha

No sorry. I used to get stick all the time at school 'where's groverider?'

Grooverider I think!!! Ah, those were days, I didn't care about houses then. A-levels, first loves, football on the Downs, trying to buy some cider, blagging my way into clubs, great days. Loved the Blue Mountain club, lovely staff and cheap booze.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Yes there are - but the notion that property has 'always been too expensive' is blown out the water by the fact that I bought my first flat (zone 2, London) for 50 grand on my 1995 20K salary. Not even 2.5 income multiple considering a small deposit. The same flat up for sale recently at 175K. Average wage now about 30K...what gives?

I am sure many others could provide anecdotals proving my point. Or was that period a never-to-be-repeated one-off? Are we entering that new paradigm?

What was the mortgage interest rate?

Around 7% as I remember...

HOLA4417
Guest wrongmove

I bought my first flat (zone 2, London) for 50 grand on my 1995 20K salary. Not even 2.5 income multiple considering a small deposit. The same flat up for sale recently at 175K. Average wage now about 30K...what gives?

I am sure many others could provide anecdotals proving my point. Or was that period a never-to-be-repeated one-off? Are we entering that new paradigm?

Around 7% as I remember...

You brought at the absolute bottom of the biggest crash ever. Well done ! But not very typical.

HOLA4418

...what gives? ... was that period a never-to-be-repeated one-off? Are we entering that new paradigm?

Well, in answer to your “was that period a never-to-be-repeated one-off?” it rather looks like it was – houses bought around 1995 would have been at the lowest price relative to earnings experienced in the last 60 years … hardly a typical situation as wrongmove points out.

Edited by spline

HOLA4419

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/action/publicsite.PropertySearch

I thought you said you sold it, on the bricks and mortar thread :blink:

Prestwich Park Road South, eh dropping 25k KKKKrashhhhh

QUOTE(Glitterygook2 @ Mar 27 2006, 04:56 PM)

I put 'sold' to indicate contracts had not yet been exchanged - sale is agreed and it's going through at the moment.

What's prestwich park road south got to do with anything?

And what's all this guff about don't have kids?? I've got 3 kids, I'm a SAHM and we are in the process of 'upsizing', not downsizing. I don't know what the house was you linked as it's expired.

Edited by Glitterygook2

HOLA4420

PROPERTY MAD- We must be!

statements like this:

"by "bite the bullet" I assume you mean have children and not buy a flat/house"

I know RichM. He is a clever guy.

For him to come out with a statement shows how truly MAD our society has become.

Something has convinced him that he needs to:

+ Buy a property, and

+ Have children

Within a tight window driven by normal biological timing requirements.

Just to clarify, I have no intention whatsoever of buying a property now, or at any point in the next three years.

Having brats is much more important.