House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mancghirl

When You Know The Party's Over

I've posted before about the laughable state of the market in my part of the world (NE Manchester), where a back to back terrace that 3 years ago could be had for 20k is now 100k.

I was having a bit of a gloomy period this weekend, considering the state of the economy, the likelihood of me ever seeing the pension I'm paying into and the probability that I may never buy a house, let alone be in a position to start a family. I began to research my options for emigration....

But then! I popped round to my mum's for a cup of tea and read the sheer garbage that is the property section of the Rochdale Observer. It was full of lovely articles along the lines of 'Hey! The spring bounce is here, kids' including a lovely full pager about how house prices in the area are rising on the back of City of London bonuses (oh YEAH, they are all rushing to snap up those ex-council houses on the Kirkholt estate).

These very truthful and well researched (cough) articles were somewhat at odds with the adverts where the same old stuff that's been hanging about for well over a year is now at a 'new price'. Those marvellous 200k 1 bed executive flats are now down to 175k (no takers then? how strange). The back of the paper was full of 'stop repossession now!' ads.

The only house I know of which sold recently was a deceased neighbours 4 bed Victorian terrace. Put on at 60k, sold for 68k. Nice house, needs work but decently priced. Meanwhile the new build across the road (3 beds, probably about 50 sq metres living space) are on for 118k....still not sold....what a puzzle.

The end is nigh, at least round here.........I'm still thinking of emigrating though.