House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
eurows

Can The Economy Afford These Strikes

Guest Riser

With all the rising costs and as I understand people don't get paid for strike days. Surely this is another nail in the coffin for GB Plc

We are talking about public sector workers here; we could probably get by quite happily if half of them went on strike permanently. Brown has created 600,000 public sector non jobs since 1997 to hide the rising unemployment caused by his damage to UK industry. He has also lured god knows how many students into University courses with the promise of good jobs just to keep them from the unemployment figures. Many of these will either drop out, or leave with massive debts and McJobs if they are lucky.

The Brown Supremacy

The domestic policies of a Brown government are easier to discern than the foreign. The key, as now, will be policies that stimulate sustainable economic growth. That growth is necessary if the economy is to spin off the higher tax revenues Brown needs to fund his continuing expansion of the public sector.

The chancellor likes to point out that the 602,000 decline in the number of unemployed since 1997, and the fall in the unemployment rate from over 7 per cent to around 5 per cent, allows him to spend on the NHS and education money that previously went to finance the dole queues. He is less happy to note an increase of some 100,000 on disability benefit or that the 600,000 increase in public sector employment just about equals the decline in total unemployment.

We are talking about public sector workers here; we could probably get by quite happily if half of them went on strike permanently. The Brown Supremacy

Absolutely. There are around 250 working days a year. We therefore need just 2-3 days of public sector strikes to trim 1% off the wage bill.

In France this is institutionalised and so it should be here.

Fortunately most truly essential services like transport, rubbish collection or power are now largely out of public sector hands in this country. So nobody will notice a thing.

We are talking about public sector workers here; we could probably get by quite happily if half of them went on strike permanently. Brown has created 600,000 public sector non jobs since 1997 to hide the rising unemployment caused by his damage to UK industry. He has also lured god knows how many students into University courses with the promise of good jobs just to keep them from the unemployment figures. Many of these will either drop out, or leave with massive debts and McJobs if they are lucky.

The Brown Supremacy

...but racial diversity might go unmeasured for a day! :o

They are protesting next to my office in Bristol, they seem to be trying to drum up support from passers by , but it looks like most people are telling them they can F*&k off.

They are protesting next to my office in Bristol, they seem to be trying to drum up support from passers by , but it looks like most people are telling them they can F*&k off.

Its a pain in the ass for me as I can t get to work on the Wirral so had to take another days holiday. But I support the strike. You cannot treat people like this.

Yes pensions do need re-addressing but FFS it didnt happen overnight!!! Tory and Nu-Labour governments have not addressed this at all and should be held accountable. today is a way of saying to the Government that WE ARE NOT STANDING FOR THIS!!! I FULLY SUPPORT THEM!

Bout time someone stood up for themselves in this country, thats why it is called a DEMOCRACY - We have the right to say NO!!!

TB

Its a pain in the ass for me as I can t get to work on the Wirral so had to take another days holiday. But I support the strike. You cannot treat people like this.

Yes pensions do need re-addressing but FFS it didnt happen overnight!!! Tory and Nu-Labour governments have not addressed this at all and should be held accountable. today is a way of saying to the Government that WE ARE NOT STANDING FOR THIS!!! I FULLY SUPPORT THEM!

Bout time someone stood up for themselves in this country, thats why it is called a DEMOCRACY - We have the right to say NO!!!

TB

Thanks for your support - I'm on strike today!!! :D

they can sod off in my view. most of these public sectors types will be sitting pretty on massive hpi without even the slightest care for anybody who 'missed the boat'. now they are getting it in the neck via pensions they think im going to drop my plans and flap on their side they are wrong. like firemen wanting 30k salary. its a brave job and all that, but get real.

i just save my money. i contribute my NI but i wont put my cash into some pathetic, dodgy pension, investment jibe. im not interested because of past performance. and i dont shed any tears for house owning public sector pension whingers. they feel its fine for you to retire and 69, but not them. you can not have a pension, but not them. you pay huge amounts for housing, but not them. the cake and eat it crowd.

they created a dog eat dog world, but dont like to get eaten themselves.

I don't support the strike. So, it's unfair workers cannot retire at 60 when they were previously told they could. Fine. But what about the private sector pensions that seem to be worth less everyday? Firstly the tax raid by gordon, then forcing them to buy overpriced gilts.

We do need a strike - by the private sector. Bring this country to it's knees. Then everyone will know where the real wealth creation comes from!

I tell you what will happen... the government will give in like last time. Pensions liabilities will increase, and the tax take (now or in the future through borrowing) will have to increase to pay for it. Put it off for another day - that's the labour way.

I do think this country should have a referendum on pensions!

im in full support of these strikers, if they were in support of everyone else retiring at 60 as well.

the trouble with that is we need to work till 65 to pay for them to retire at 60

so sod them all i aint there darn slave

I forgot to take a detour by the town hall this morning to tell the unproductive layabouts to get back to work.

Fat chance of any of them still being there when I go home this evening.

If they do not like the change to their working regulations they are entitled to seek work elsewhere.

The government is in part to blame - it backed away from raising the pension age for central government employees, partly out of cowardness and the fear of losing the votes of the only ones who will vote for Brown. Yet it is happy for it to occur at a local level, where it will not be much affected. No wonder council staff are striking.

I fully support the strike: in fact, I hope they stay on strike forever.

Me too. And I look forward to a MASSIVE tax rebate at the end of the year deriving from the reduction in wage bill. O hang on.....

the worst aspects of this strike is how the parts of the civil service that retained already there right to retire at 60 ie the teachers,lecturers,police,firemen.nurses and others have done the im all right jack attitude and stuck 2 fingers up at there less well paid brethern and are probably sitting at home today enjoying there long weekend and free paid day off.

a teacher said to me yesterday that because of the job a teacher is darn entitled to retire at 60.

i said what was so special about teachers, what was so much harder about being a teacher that they should be the privledged ones

im in full support of these strikers, if they were in support of everyone else retiring at 60 as well.

the trouble with that is we need to work till 65 to pay for them to retire at 60

so sod them all i aint there darn slave

Correction. We will need to work until we are 70 to pay for them to retire at 60.

TB

Cannot treat people like what? You mean treat them FAR better than the private sector that pays a huge portion of those armour plated pensions, never mind their salaries?

I think you should get real. The fact that this is a democracy might mean that people say no to funding these lovely public sector pensions. Nobody has a right to sign a contract today and be guaranteed a final salary pension in 25 years, paid for by taxation. Transfer the value of the pension contributions thus far, of course, but there is NO REASON WHATSOEVER that people should have "retirement plans" now, based on what the tax payer will have to stump up over the next 20 or 30 years.

I don't support this strike. Well, in fact, I sort of do support it, because I think if this turns out to be more than just a silly one-off, then it will simply bring the searchlight of public scrutiny sweeping round onto these cushy conditions, and will result in them being swept away. If I had an armour plated retire at 60 pension with a value way beyond what I had to contribute, I'd keep quiet about it, not jump up and down all cross on a picket line so that the private sector worker can see me and decide that whatever else happens, he's going to make sure that the next government that is elected puts and end to it, and doesn't have him working until 80 to let the public servant scamper off at 60.

Edited by Levy process

Sympathise with the feeling of broken promises...but, the reality is the country cannot afford the pension.

In my opinion they are starting at the easy end - LA workers. Then it will be teachers. fire and finally the guilt edged of guilt edged - Police.

Then it will be fun.

I am self employed and accept the situation. Pensions providers generally lied and under-performed.

Accept it Public sector - you cannot live apart from the rest of society, especially when they pay your wages.

and finally the guilt edged of guilt edged - Police.

No, the Police Force is the one Group any Government will want to keep "onside". To leave the Police with the pension as now will identify them as somehow "special" and "buy" their loyalty.

They will be needed to enforce the coming leglisation, yes such as ID cards, designed to produce a fearful population.

Why do you think the Home Secretary wants fewer Constabularies? It will be easier to ensure compliance with Government diktat dealing with half the number of Chief Constables and Police Authorities.

Easier too to ensure that Chief Constables and Authority Members are "on message".

Edited by Mushroom

Two relevant articles from today's times

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/...2106661,00.html

Broadly it shows how a large part of the pensions crisis is of Gordon Brown's making. It applies more to the private sector but is relevant to the public sector as well.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,6-2106347,00.html

Do we care if they are on strike?