House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BillyShears

Are There Any Cities In The Uk Where ...

Are there any cities in the UK where there aren't massive numbers of new build "luxury apartments" going up in the city centre? Can anyone honestly say that "in my city, they aren't building any" or "there are so few that there is no risk of a glut."?

Billy Shears

All over Liverpool!

he Luxury apartments of BEETHAM Tower ouldneot even be sold at auction!!! So why build more???

Knobs

Edited by teddyboy

Are there any cities in the UK where there aren't massive numbers of new build "luxury apartments" going up in the city centre?

I doubt it, the planning system basically forces developers to carry out this form of development whether they like it or not, that's why such properties are now over 50% of new building starts.

Ask a developer how many medium to low density estates they've recently built on greenbelt land, the answer will be none, 40 dwellings per hectare is the legal minimum, as is a preference for brownfield and the provision of social housing. This is the new dogma, they know best.

Check out this planning template :-

In total, how many car parking spaces are being proposed (see note 7) and what average per dwelling does this represent?

If the average number of car parking spaces is more than 1.5 per dwelling, please provide a justification for this.

They hate cars too, anyone know where I can find half a car?

Edited by BuyingBear

Are there any cities in the UK where there aren't massive numbers of new build "luxury apartments" going up in the city centre? Can anyone honestly say that "in my city, they aren't building any" or "there are so few that there is no risk of a glut."?

Billy Shears

Try City of Lisburn, Northern Ireland. There is a lot of building I think, but not so many shoebox apartments.

Edited by Smell the Fear

Guest wrongmove

No luxury apartments round here. Only executive ones. :D

Here in Nottingham there are very few luxury or executive apartments being built.

We have hundreds of 'superior' apartments though. :lol:

Loads of these prison block style studio apartments in Exeter - a month or so back one lot of "luxury" apartments that were to be released attracted people queueing overnight in order to get an allocation.

Personally I dont like these blocks of apartments they look like halls of residence or something, people crammed in and some of the places are tiny - you get one room and a bog!! For 120k!!!!!!! Where is the sense - its gone completely mad I would rather stay in rented!

I agree with the majority on this website - house prices have gone ballistic for quite a few years now and common sense tells me that this cant go on and in fact prices will probably actually fall.... but then i have been thinking that for a year or 2 now!!!

Here in Nottingham there are very few luxury or executive apartments being built.

In Japan they were called "mansions". I kid you not. And you could buy or rent "one room mansions." Studio flats to us.

Billy Shears

Edited by BillyShears

This you'll find that Lisburn NI will come under fire if it hasn't already. Just look at Belfast - flat central. Rather nasty little shoe boxes too. It's possible to build high density well. Just look at some of the suggestions by Jane Jacobs (from the 1960s!), Leon Krier et al. I'd love to live in a mews house, which are at the end of the day better looking town houses. Will any developer venture down such a route? Of course not as there's more money to be made in flats. Simple.

Try City of Lisburn, Northern Ireland. There is a lot of building I think, but not so many shoebox apartments.

Aha! We find such a city. I knew there must be one. Any reasons why? Less restrictive planning?

Billy Shears

Aha! We find such a city. I knew there must be one. Any reasons why? Less restrictive planning?

Billy Shears

In N. Ireland flats are for poor people. The population is only 1.5m. I have heard that the landmark new apartment complexes in Belfast have become infested with brothels, resulting in them becoming very undesirable for renters and OOs alike. Probably a bit of the no-nonsense factor as well. Apartments are poncy.

I know there are hundreds of them here wrongmove! I may have a drive around the city one evening soon and see if I can get an idea as to how many of them are occupied. Do you know anyone who lives in one? I certainly don't.

Ask a developer how many medium to low density estates they've recently built on greenbelt land, the answer will be none, 40 dwellings per hectare is the legal minimum, as is a preference for brownfield and the provision of social housing. This is the new dogma, they know best.

wow, so, every 'house' gets a 15mx15m space allocation at the most?

(1 hectare = 10000m2, 10000/40 = 250 = 15x15)

(Nottingham apartments)

I know there are hundreds of them here wrongmove! I may have a drive around the city one evening soon and see if I can get an idea as to how many of them are occupied. Do you know anyone who lives in one? I certainly don't.

My mate was in an apartment in 'The Habitat' for 6 months - quite nostalgic really, just like being back in student halls! Not so attractive to a 30 year old on 50K though.

When I used to stay over there I had to sleep on his sofa, as the second bedroom had no windows or ventilation, and was completely airless. I used to wake in the night fighting for breath!

The standard of fittings was also poor. There were bit cracks in the plaster in the corners by the time he left.

250 sq metres: So 50 sq m front and back garden, 75 sq m for the house = 150 sq m if you build it 2 storeys. Leaving 75 sqm for walls and roads and the like.

And you can increase the house size by building a third storey, or using different layouts like squares around courtyards that use space better. I don't think it's that bad actually.

Edited by CaptainClamp

My mate was in an apartment in 'The Habitat' for 6 months - quite nostalgic really, just like being back in student halls! Not so attractive to a 30 year old on 50K though.

When I used to stay over there I had to sleep on his sofa, as the second bedroom had no windows or ventilation, and was completely airless. I used to wake in the night fighting for breath!

The standard of fittings was also poor. There were bit cracks in the plaster in the corners by the time he left.

This is exactly what I heard from someone who knew someone who lived in a new build flat. Poor quality. The hearsay I heard was that there were gaps where you could see through to the outside.

Billy Shears

There's a development of "36 flats" near me that's just about finished (the scaffolding has come down - they're just finishing off the "trimmings" now). I highlighted it in this post just over a fortnight ago, stating that the agent selling the flats have only agreed sales for three of them.

This thread inspired me to take another look and see how they were getting on.

Yep. Still only three sold... :rolleyes:

The CPRE want a density of 70 dwellings per hectare, then they want everybody standing on the head of a pin.

250 sq metres: So 50 sq m front and back garden, 75 sq m for the house = 150 sq m if you build it 2 storeys. Leaving 75 sqm for walls and roads and the like.

And you can increase the house size by building a third storey, or using different layouts like squares around courtyards that use space better. I don't think it's that bad actually.

I think it's regressive and slum-worthy, the average UK new build property is 80sq m compared to to over 125sq m and rising in Germany and countless other European countries. We're the only country where our properties are getting smaller, and we're currently second only to Greece for pokiness. A Chinese prison cell is 130sq ft!

I think it's a bloody travesty given the abundance of land in the UK, no wonder urban areas are so hectic and congested given the fact so many people are compressed into such a small space.

Edited by BuyingBear

I think it's regressive and slum-worthy, the average UK new build property is 80sq m compared to to over 125sq m and rising in Germany and countless other European countries. We're the only country where our properties are getting smaller, and we're currently second only to Greece for pokiness. A Chinese prison cell is 130sq ft!

I agree 80 sq m is small. It's the size of a very decent 1 bed or nomal 2 bed apartment.

However I just pointed out you could quite easily get a 150sq m or greater house onto a 250sq m plot, plus reasonable gardens and including a percentage for access roads. 150 sq m is NOT slumworthy. I lived with 3 other adults in a 160 sq m house and we were practically rattling around in it, it was huge.