House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
homeless

How Much Does A Peerage Cost These Days?

was just wondering how much a peerage costs these days, the price seems to have come down recently from doing something worthwhile to the greater good of society to passing a few bottles of champagne around at a labour party bash.

So im thinking if i win the lottery i might just go and buy myself on of these peerage things, i mean i will buy the house and the car and yaght but all my new friends will have these as well.So i wanna get one up on them and get a peerage.

can you buy them on ebay ?

was just wondering how much a peerage costs these days, the price seems to have come down recently from doing something worthwhile to the greater good of society to passing a few bottles of champagne around at a labour party bash.

So im thinking if i win the lottery i might just go and buy myself on of these peerage things, i mean i will buy the house and the car and yaght but all my new friends will have these as well.So i wanna get one up on them and get a peerage.

Peerage for a million but a knighthood for a mere £100,000 (less than a 1 bed flat in North London.)

I dunno, but you can buy Blue Peter badges on ebay - peerages to follow?

Maybe someone will start a derivatives market in peerages, so that you can gamble on the peerages market without actually having to buy any.

Billy Shears

A BP badge gives you free entry to one or two places apparently.

Much the same as a peerage

I am not that desperate. Also, isn't it free entry to Legoworld and similar kids attractions only (the BP badge not the peerage)? Now free entry to somewhere exciting and exclusive, hmm, do I have £1m to blow on a baronetsy (twirls Terry Thomas/Leslie Phillips style moustache)?

The good thing about these nu peerages is you can get your money back after... :)

I don't know why places like legoland charge for kids. You can't send the kids in on their own... or can you?

The good thing about these nu peerages is you can get your money back after... :)

Not to mention multiple £150m public sector contracts for your company (*cough* Capita) ;)

Edited by BuyingBear

Whats interesting is that the law is clear on this - for even offering to procure an honour - there is even case law.

The sale of British titles is prohibited by the Honours (Prevention of Abuses) Act, 1925

Section 1(1) of the Act provides that: "If any person accepts, obtains or agrees to accept or obtain from any person, for himself or for any other person, or for any purpose, any gift, money or valuable consideration as an inducement or reward for procuring or assisting or endeavouring to procure the grant of a dignity or title of honour to any person or otherwise in connection with such a grant, he shall be guilty of a misdemeanour."

Section 1(2) If any person gives, or agrees or proposes to give, or offers to any person any gift, money or valuable consideration as an inducement or reward for procuring or assisting or endeavouring to procure the grant of a dignity or title of honour to any person, or otherwise in connection with such a grant, he shall be guilty of an offence.

Section 1(3) provided that anyone found guilty under the Act could be liable on conviction on indictment to a maximum of two years imprison-ment

So its pretty clear that a prosecution should be brought, but will it - or is justice bought off just as easily by the corrupt shower in power.

So its pretty clear that a prosecution should be brought, but will it - or is justice bought off just as easily by the corrupt shower in power.

Well, I'm sure I heard on the news last night that the police had asked the cabinet to cease their investigation as they did not want it interfering with the police investigation.

Makes you think the police could be taking it seriously, or is that what we are supposed to think?

NDL

A peerage is an investment and you have to speculate to accumulate.

Mabye someone could do a nice graph on the capital invested on a New Labour peerage and the P/E ratio's over say five years. Not to mention the value of the hookers that are supplied free of charge as a perk of the job.

I think there is going to be a more open Government in the future as the recent news has been not very good. Commited to E Government I understand Tonies Plans are to put the Peerages up on ebay in the future.