House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slater14

More Computer Help Please!

I have been using the ctrl+a and also ctrl and clicking on indivdual images (to highlight them blue)

.....Ozz, you'll know what I'm talking about from the last topics. This is sort of a 'follow on question' from the last post.

The strangest thing happened today - I was merrily holding ctrl and clicking on indivdual pictures in a folder (I wanted to move about 40 pics into a new file) and it started to copy them.

I didnt realise it was copying them each time I held down the ctrl and clicked to highlight!

Now I have several hundred pics in one file instead of just the original 196 pics.

My question:

Do I have to right click on each individual picture to delete it or is there some way of highlighting all the 'copy2' copy3' copy4' pics so I can just delete the lot but still have my original 196 untouched?

You can CTRL and click on each diagram, when all are selected, right click and delete.

Alternatively you could go into DOS mode (Start then type 'cmd' and use wildcards to delete - but Id not advise this if you're not hot on computing).

I have been using the ctrl+a and also ctrl and clicking on indivdual images (to highlight them blue)

.....Ozz, you'll know what I'm talking about from the last topics. This is sort of a 'follow on question' from the last post.

The strangest thing happened today - I was merrily holding ctrl and clicking on indivdual pictures in a folder (I wanted to move about 40 pics into a new file) and it started to copy them.

I didnt realise it was copying them each time I held down the ctrl and clicked to highlight!

Now I have several hundred pics in one file instead of just the original 196 pics.

My question:

Do I have to right click on each individual picture to delete it or is there some way of highlighting all the 'copy2' copy3' copy4' pics so I can just delete the lot but still have my original 196 untouched?

This isnt a helpdesk slater. :P

You can CTRL and click on each diagram, when all are selected, right click and delete.

Alternatively you could go into DOS mode (Start then type 'cmd' and use wildcards to delete - but Id not advise this if you're not hot on computing).

Hiya Ozz,

This is the weirdest thing....

When I realised it was copying the pictures. I held down ctrl and started clicking the indivdual pictures it had copied ('copy2') when I had highlighted about 8 or 9 indivdual pics a little screen popped up saying copying then disapeared....It had just copied them again! and put them in the file.

If I try and highlight all the copied pics using ctrl and clicking on them it just copies them again.

This isnt a helpdesk slater. :P

Oh come on shaker,

You guys love showing off your techy wizardry to a 'non techy' like me :D:D

....I'm just loving your new avatar :blink:

Hiya Ozz,

This is the weirdest thing....

When I realised it was copying the pictures. I held down ctrl and started clicking the indivdual pictures it had copied ('copy2') when I had highlighted about 8 or 9 indivdual pics a little screen popped up saying copying then disapeared....It had just copied them again! and put them in the file.

If I try and highlight all the copied pics using ctrl and clicking on them it just copies them again.

Oh come on shaker,

You guys love showing off your techy wizardry to a 'non techy' like me :D:D

....I'm just loving your new avatar :blink:

If you need to de-select a couple out of a big group you can focus the group by holding down the second left click of a double click which is not on an icon then draw a box around all the icons, when all items are selected you can hold down control and single left click the ones you want to deselect.

I imagine that if it was already copying a group and you re-selected items then it added them to the copy list.

If your really not having much luck then you can arrange icons by name, which will put them alphabetically then make a box around all the icons which say 'copy of...' and delete the bunch in one go.

View -> Arrange Icons By -> Name

If you need to de-select a couple out of a big group you can focus the group by holding down the second left click of a double click which is not on an icon then draw a box around all the icons, when all items are selected you can hold down control and single left click the ones you want to deselect.

I imagine that if it was already copying a group and you re-selected items then it added them to the copy list.

If your really not having much luck then you can arrange icons by name, which will put them alphabetically then make a box around all the icons which say 'copy of...' and delete the bunch in one go.

View -> Arrange Icons By -> Name

Nice one. Thanks Chuz.

I'll give that a try...but I still dont understand why it started copying bunches of pics when |I weas doing the ctrl+left click?

Is that normal? (if so, I'll keep my eyes open for it happening again) or how do I stop it doing that in future?

Nice one. Thanks Chuz.

I'll give that a try...but I still dont understand why it started copying bunches of pics when |I weas doing the ctrl+left click?

Is that normal? (if so, I'll keep my eyes open for it happening again) or how do I stop it doing that in future?

To my knowledge thats not normal, if you can end up doing that what ive hightlighted in bold then you could of done anything :) like hit some keystroke combination (Control and C will copy, control and V will paste) so you could just of had a episode of fat finger syndrome. Best thing to do is try it again and see what happens :)

oh and thankyou :)

To my knowledge thats not normal, if you can end up doing that what ive hightlighted in bold then you could of done anything :) like hit some keystroke combination (Control and C will copy, control and V will paste) so you could just of had a episode of fat finger syndrome. Best thing to do is try it again and see what happens :)

oh and thankyou :)

Think of a gorrila. Shave it. Put it in a pair of underpants and sit it at a laptop.

Hey presto!.......slater14 :rolleyes:

I turned it on this morning and everything does indeed seem to be back to normal. So you're probably right, fat finger syndrome!

Think of a gorrila. Shave it. Put it in a pair of underpants and sit it at a laptop.

Hey presto!.......slater14 :rolleyes:

I turned it on this morning and everything does indeed seem to be back to normal. So you're probably right, fat finger syndrome!

Ive done a little research and it would appear that there was perhaps strong solar flares at the time of your incident, therefore i conclude it wasnt any fault of your own but stray solar radiation which has been known to affect microprocessor based systems.

Well, its what i tell myself when i mess up the computer doesnt do what its designed to do :)