House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dog

Council Tax

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4849152.stm

The average UK wage is £23,000.

The average UK council tax is now £1,056

Therefore council tax is now equivalent 4.5% of the gross wage of the average working person. One dreads to think the size of hole it carves in an old person's income. And before someone says something about rebates, these are mostly linked to means testing. Means testing is the quickest way of degrading and humiliating an old person.

What do we get for our council tax

Parking attendants in Jack boots

An education system with pathetic teachers and collapsing standards

A dissapearing police service

Congested roads

The most expensive public transport system in the world

Why do we put up with this? The public went beserk over the poll tax. Today we are suffering the biggest Rogering in history and we sit here with pinched brows saying nothing.

Therefore council tax is now equivalent 4.5% of the gross wage of the average working person. One dreads to think the size of hole it carves in an old person's income. And before someone says something about rebates, these are mostly linked to means testing. Means testing is the quickest way of degrading and humiliating an old person.

What do we get for our council tax

Parking attendants in Jack boots

An education system with pathetic teachers and collapsing standards

A dissapearing police service

Congested roads

The most expensive public transport system in the world

Why do we put up with this? The public went beserk over the poll tax. Today we are suffering the biggest Rogering in history and we sit here with pinched brows saying nothing.

Because its gradual so nobody notices too much.... this government increases taxes incrementally (and via stelath) so nobody riots.

The only time I've ever thought of standing for any sort of elected office is to stand for the local council on a "Where is our money going?" ticket. My stated position would be that my primary role would be to investigate and report (web pages and the like) to council tax payers exactly where their money is going. I would also work tirelessly to track down any wastage, unproductive use of money and try to fix it. My stated (and real) aim wouldn't be to block any council spending in a kneejerk fashion, but to work for getting good value for money for council tax payers.

Main problem is: if I did this while it would be a "life experience" to stand for the council, I'd be too concerned about actually getting elected. If my main career tanks for some reason I'd consider trying it though.

Just out of curiosity, if people out there found that someone was standing for the council on this platform, and they weren't a complete loony (i.e. it wasn't me), would you vote for them?

Billy Shears

Because its gradual so nobody notices too much.... this government increases taxes incrementally (and via stelath) so nobody riots.

It's true. Poke your finger into a bugerigar's cage and it'll back away. Leave it there and it'll sidle up to it, perch on it and be your best friend.

campaign for abolition of council tax

i think you will find theres loads of opposition to the council tax building.

though the average wage is 23k as you state

there are millions on a lot less than this that pay the same council tax as the 23k earner hence its an even bigger slice for them.And thats the trouble with the council tax, its not income based tax.Many are probably paying more in council tax than income tax if your a low earner.Also your taxed on your already taxed income with council tax which makes it a greater burden again.

Just a correction for you,

if you live alone then you only pay 50% of the tax.

If you live with someone else then obviously the tax is also split between you.

if you live alone then you only pay 50% of the tax.

Actually, the single person discount is 25%, NOT 50%. You really should check facts like that before posting.

Actually, the single person discount is 25%, NOT 50%. You really should check facts like that before posting.

why, am i not allowed to make a mistake ?

I was just saying a lot of people live together which halves the bill and there was also a discount for living alone which i thought was 50%.

Whats your beef?

Guest Guy_Montag

I don't quite understand why the single person discount isn't 50%. Any suggestions? I mean what's the excuse rather than what's the real reason.

What irks me is that I, living in a shitty little 1 bed flat pay 1/3 what the person in a 5 bed detached house on an few acres of land.

£900 before discount for me.

Actully this has made me think,

I posted a message on a previous threed a while ago about a lot of internal spin from bears in this forum.

This is a typical example of what i mean, someone posts about council tax, which i agree is completely out of order in relevance to our wages.

But no one picks up on the data he puts down, they all then agree etc etc about how shite everything is.

I then come along to point out a lot of people live together and also its 50% off for single people.

Of course I was found to be wrong on 50% And it was infact 25%,

Yet the bears after 40 seconds of my posting jump on my back about how im wrong and how i should get my facts right first!

What about the original bullish post, which was incorrect, or infact 'spun' wrongly.

Edited by ExeC

Yet the bulls after 40 seconds of my posting jump on my back about how im wrong and how i should get my facts right first!

Excuse me, I'm no bull. What an idiot you are.

Don't guess at figures is what I'm saying. Jeez...

Just out of curiosity, if people out there found that someone was standing for the council on this platform, and they weren't a complete loony (i.e. it wasn't me), would you vote for them?

Billy Shears

I would be standing outside the polling station before it opened waiting to vote for you.

campaign for abolition of council tax

i think you will find theres loads of opposition to the council tax building.

though the average wage is 23k as you state

there are millions on a lot less than this that pay the same council tax as the 23k earner hence its an even bigger slice for them.And thats the trouble with the council tax, its not income based tax.Many are probably paying more in council tax than income tax if your a low earner.Also your taxed on your already taxed income with council tax which makes it a greater burden again.

You are absolutely right, 23K is just the average. I imagine that it is a crippling sum for many people. What's even more galling is that the money that is not wasted on frivolous adventures is used to provide gold plated pensions for council employees.