House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
willing

This Forum Is A Waste Of Time?

Anyone else feeling that the arguments have been done to death a 1000 times over?

Anyone else thinking it's a waste of time?

Anyone else thinking all we can do now is wait and see who's wrong and who's right?

Well I used to, but I was wrong!

Astonishingly was at a dinner party thrown for the family this weekend and the subject of HPs came up. My uncle a well known arch bull seems to have done a complete about face (he used to taunt me about HPs) - what did he wave in my face this time? A copy of the First Time Buyer Beware Pamphlet and a photocopy of the front page of 'Bubbles and How to Survive Them'. He then cited this site's forum as 'a bit insane but sometimes very informative'. Better still 7 of the 20 guests had visited this forum.

So the next time you think about not posting because 'It's been debated a 1000 times before', remember that every day new people arrive and they tend to only read the newest posts. So by posting that 'argument that's been done to death' you could be opening their eyes. Well done guys!

Ps. However, I do still feel that we now have to just wait and see on this one ;)

Anyone else feeling that the arguments have been done to death a 1000 times over?

Anyone else thinking it's a waste of time?

Anyone else thinking all we can do now is wait and see who's wrong and who's right?

Well I used to, but I was wrong!

Astonishingly was at a dinner party thrown for the family this weekend and the subject of HPs came up. My uncle a well known arch bull seems to have done a complete about face (he used to taunt me about HPs) - what did he wave in my face this time? A copy of the First Time Buyer Beware Pamphlet and a photocopy of the front page of 'Bubbles and How to Survive Them'. He then cited this site's forum as 'a bit insane but sometimes very informative'. Better still 7 of the 20 guests had visited this forum.

So the next time you think about not posting because 'It's been debated a 1000 times before', remember that every day new people arrive and they tend to only read the newest posts. So by posting that 'argument that's been done to death' you could be opening their eyes. Well done guys!

Ps. However, I do still feel that we now have to just wait and see on this one ;)

The potatoes were underdone mind. And the wine tasted like vinegar too.

Guest wrongmove

I agree willing. I started a thread "In defense of HPC" http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=26690

but it was banished to the About HPC Forum.

A summary of my post:

"So what's point here ? To old members who find the forum boring, think back to when you first discovered it. Should today's newbies be denied that experience ? Should HPC be restricted to oldies, nodding sagely at each others well rehearsed arguments ?

Of course it shouldn't. HPC is like a pub or a cafe. If you hear a conversation at another table in a pub,would you run over and say "shut up - me and my mates talked about that last week, so you shouldn't debate it now". Of course not. That would be rude and ignorant. Should schools stop teaching arithmatic because we learnt it years ago ? Education is a never-ending process. There are always new "students" who need to learn what we already know."

OT, but a great loss from the moving of the thread was a post from RSF:

mmmm..theres been a lot of negative posts on the forum recently.

try the priced out's prayer. keeps you sane.

Our crash, who art in progress,

Downturn be thy Name.

Thy crash has come.

Many will be undone,

3.5x income, as it was in 1997.

Pass us all your pay our landlords said.

And give boomers back their bus passes,

As we forgive those who made this cash against us.

And lead us not into the same btl temptation,

But deliver us from this new evil.

Lets head for tile kingdom,

with the power tools,

and end this story,

for ever and ever.

Amen Andrews.

(if you tip the prayer sideways it also represents the graph of the crash)

A few of us spent some time on Sunday examining an aggressively bullish “no-bubble” article (and the supporting academic paper) in the FT that attempted to refute the idea that there might be crash. Surprisingly, we were able to able to reconcile its underlying view of house price fundamentals with a rational position entirely consistent with the HPC viewpoint (bubble developed post 2003) leading to a strong refutation of the FT article based on the timing of their “no bubble” claim – FT article implies “no bubble now", but the supporting paper having examined data only up to 2003 says no such thing. I think that this type of engagement can raise the credibility of HPC, but it’s now languishing on page two, ignored and sinking fast.

Are we to accept that HPC is just not capable of engaging with (and therefore influencing) mainstream thinking on house prices in any meaningful way? It could be so effective if it just dropped the Armageddon prophesies and stepped outside of its fantasy world. :(

Mods – any chance of setting up a mini-forum for informed analysis of the UK housing market?

Edited by spline

A few of us spent some time on Sunday examining an aggressively bullish “no-bubble” article (and the supporting academic paper) in the FT that attempted to refute the idea that there might be crash. Surprisingly, we were able to able to reconcile its underlying view of house price fundamentals with a rational position entirely consistent with the HPC viewpoint (bubble developed post 2003) leading to a strong refutation of the FT article based on the timing of their “no bubble” claim – FT article implies “no bubble now", but the supporting paper having examined data only up to 2003 says no such thing. I think that this type of engagement can raise the credibility of HPC, but it’s now languishing on page two, ignored and sinking fast.

Are we to accept that HPC is just not capable of engaging with (and therefore influencing) mainstream thinking on house prices in any meaningful way? It could be so effective if it just dropped the Armageddon prophesies and stepped outside of its fantasy world. :(

I tend to agree, but there must also be space for new posts on this 'main' forum so that we can keep things fresh.

Personally I'm against the growing number of pinned posts that are occuring on this forum -fine pin a post, but only for a week unless it really is of critical importance.

There are ways around posts becoming obsolete due to excessive posting pushing them down the lists - just repost to it and bump it to the top if you feel it's important. If others disagree you'll soon find out! Forums tend to self regulate.

For example this topic was moved to the off topic forum by a mod - however, I asked for it to be moved back as it was of no relevance in the off topic area as it was about this forum not the off-topic one. It was almost immediately moved back here. I expect at a later date once it has matured here in the 'main' forum it will again be moved - but that's just good modding.

So have a word with the mods and bump posts you feel are important. You'll soon find out if others disagree, and if the majority do disagree you must accept that decision as none of us own this forum (we just feel like we do ;) ).

Edited by willing