House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest consa

Myths

I voted "no" but only because I don't think we should use the words "myths". I think there should be an "answering common arguments" section which is a similar thing with a different name and style.

Billy Shears

I voted "no" but only because I don't think we should use the words "myths". I think there should be an "answering common arguments" section which is a similar thing with a different name and style.

Billy Shears

Actually, I voted yes but I agree with Ringo, we should entitle the section something indicating that they are common platitudes that do not bear scrutiny.

frugalista

Guest consa

Billy Shears

That would be the FAQ's in the top tabs ;)

Actually, I voted yes but I agree with Ringo, we should entitle the section something indicating that they are common platitudes that do not bear scrutiny.

frugalista

whether it is called myths/plethora/common arguments etc... can be decided later, we just want to establish the direction

frugalista

Yes, maybe myths is a bit strong. But plenty of people don't even realise that there was a HPC in '89-94! So to say "house prices never fall" is certainly false.

Maybe something more diplomatic like "common misunderstandings".

We could definitely get some basic counters in as well, to points like "people on this site are bitter and twisted losers who just regret missing the boat and want to engineer a crash!"

We could definitely get some basic counters in as well, to points like "people on this site are bitter and twisted losers who just regret missing the boat and want to engineer a crash!"

I disagree. The above is a matter of opinion and cannot be proven either way. Let's stick to facts.

For example, there are a lot of misunderstanding surrounding "rent is dead money". A lot of casual site visitors would benefit from a discussion of this.

frugalista

I voted “no” to the myths idea, although I like the idea of canned responses to frequent lines of argument or questioning, but the real problem is how to articulate a clear and transparent pro-HPC argument that is resistant to “you said this last year, and the year before” type of dismissal. It needs to be fact based, and with some idea of the scale we anticipate - moderate falls or Brunoesque armageddon.

Edited by spline