House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

plumber999

How Can This Be Fair?

A friend of mine 25 years old man got a 1 bed council flat, because his parents had a flat, he automatically qualified for one.

He immediately applied for the right to buy, he bought his 1 deb flat for £45k (valued at £85k). He isn't allowed to sell it for 5 years, but in the meantime is renting it out for £600 p/m to guaranteed council tenants, provided by the council, paid for by us the council tax payers. This rent he is being paid by the council is twice as much as he paid the council when it belonged to them!

Is the world gone completely ******ing mad!

words can not express the feelings that well up when I read something like this....

Rise above them

I mean.. the do gooders will get a bit of a surprise when they realise that only letting burdens breed is not great for the gene pool..

counteract these policies..

Lace Barcardi Breezers with bromide ;)

this is factually incorrect. You dont qualify for a council flat because your parents have one. the whole 'affordable housing' sector is corrupt and does indeed create inequalities, but this is not one of them.

this is factually incorrect. You dont qualify for a council flat because your parents have one. the whole 'affordable housing' sector is corrupt and does indeed create inequalities, but this is not one of them.

Don't forget that it is entirely possible that the price the tennant pays for the property will not have followed the current boom/bust cycle..

House prices are not unfair, they are merely stupid.

It is not the price of housing that is stopping you form buying.

Itis the fact that some morron is willing to pay far more then you are..

Hold true.. the economic cycle is based on morrons.. andeverntually the morrons realise that they have been ...

morrons

I can assure you , my kind sir, my information is correct, how else would a healthy single male get a council flat? It is council policy that second generation of council tenants get preference for social housing.

I can assure you , my kind sir, my information is correct, how else would a healthy single male get a council flat? It is council policy that second generation of council tenants get preference for social housing.

I believe that is right, but it only gets you enough points to make a difference in areas where the demand for council housing is low enough. In London family points would never be enough to qualify, but up North (for instance) there are council estates where the demand is low enough that family points can tip the difference.

I think it used to be the case that you were supposed to live in the property for the qualifying period, not rent - so he would have been breaking the terms of the lease by renting it immediately, but apparently not in this case as it is to the council themselves.

Let's not forget also that, given your other thread about the Tories, this all comes back to their selling off council housing in the first place. The discounts then were even more dramatic, and resulted in a massive reduction in social housing in this country. Thus the council are at this stage short of housing for those they are obliged to house, leading to this rather ludicrous arrangement. It would have been far better if councils had been allowed to build new council housing when they sold the first lot off (the money was ringfenced by the Tories in order to prevent that).

The change in the rent level will be because he would have had an old tenancy agreement which restricted how much his rent could go up by. The new tenants are simply being charged at the new level.

I know its not very PC and all...

This guy can buy a hundred council houses for all I care.

I certainly wouldnt live in one and it isnt something I'm sure most of us would aspire to.

He may 'appear' to have bagged a bargain but believe me, theres no such thing as a free lunch. Ask yourself these questions:

1. would you live in it?

2. would you want a tenant who would consider a months rent as a big lottery win?

3. would you fancy trying to keep a jerry built house (which they are) in good order?

These properties have their own special problems and the rent he recieves just will not reflect the 'very special' problems he will face.

I know its not very PC and all...

This guy can buy a hundred council houses for all I care.

I certainly wouldnt live in one and it isnt something I'm sure most of us would aspire to.

He may 'appear' to have bagged a bargain but believe me, theres no such thing as a free lunch. Ask yourself these questions:

1. would you live in it?

2. would you want a tenant who would consider a months rent as a big lottery win?

3. would you fancy trying to keep a jerry built house (which they are) in good order?

These properties have their own special problems and the rent he recieves just will not reflect the 'very special' problems he will face.

Actually this may be true of some council properties, but it's not of all. There was some pretty good stuff built in the forties and early fifties for instance. My wife's grandfather helped build an estate in Rochdale which was all good solid 3-bed semis, many of which were bought in the 80s, and which they have taken good care of - you wouldn't think they were council houses. People have a real stereotype of what council housing is like - shoddy 60s/70s, jerry built rubbish in problem areas - but that's not always the case. There are problems with owning them tohugh - high service charges etc - so it's not always a good thing.

[Just a quick one, agree with last user, i bought ex-council house (not from council) in 1992. It was a fab house, and no service charge.

The only downside was that neighbours either side were council, they were ok, but did have the stereotrype mentality, wanting things for nothing. It did give me a good foot in door then, coz it cost me 27.5k, now worth 110k, pitty i sold it in 2000 : :(

I've lived in social housing for over 5 years and have no right to buy - the right to buy was abolished before I took up my tenancy. As I understand it the only people who still have the right to buy now are those who took up their tenancies before that time and who have not moved in the interim. Even when the right to buy was widespread, you still had to have had your tenancy for x amount of time before you acquired that right. I think he's fibbing to you.