House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Nick T

What Next

I came across an advert in the FT for flats within the Highbury stadium redevelopment.

Prices start at 295,000 for a 1 bed

Now who is going to want to live in a football stadium, and more for it pay £295,000 minimum for the Privilege.

They are going to turn the pitch into a 2 acre garden.....

Apparently they are predicting growth of 25% by 2010 and a yirld of 6%

Some pics

cgi004_640x480.jpg

cgi006_640x480.jpg

Now who is going to want to live in a football stadium, and more for it pay £295,000 minimum for the Privilege.

cgi004_640x480.jpg

cgi006_640x480.jpg

It won't be a football stadium, so your question is a strange one!

It will be an ex-football stadium, and plenty of well-to-do Arsenal fans are more than happy to buy a property there because of that. They love the club and want to live on what for them is a "hallowed site".I know 2 people who are buying there. Clever marketing, IMO. I can't see what the problem is - I think these properties will always attract a premium selling price, because of their association with the club.

Edited by Casual Observer

What will be interesting is whether the flats advertised by Galliard Homes near the new groung will sell. They are being advertised at £235,000 with a guaranteed income of 6.25% up to 2010. In other words the buyer is paying over the odds in the first place only to receive his money back on the drip over the next four years.

My friend makes me laugh when we walk past the new stadium to the ground. "We should have clubbed together and bought one of those flats. It would be a good investment." When I ask why he just says "Well, think of the potential" When I press him further and ask him what on earth he is talking about he goes quiet. I am then informed that I am too cautious and should be more of a speculator. Silly me!

What will be interesting is whether the flats advertised by Galliard Homes near the new groung will sell. They are being advertised at £235,000 with a guaranteed income of 6.25% up to 2010. In other words the buyer is paying over the odds in the first place only to receive his money back on the drip over the next four years.

My friend makes me laugh when we walk past the new stadium to the ground. "We should have clubbed together and bought one of those flats. It would be a good investment." When I ask why he just says "Well, think of the potential" When I press him further and ask him what on earth he is talking about he goes quiet. I am then informed that I am too cautious and should be more of a speculator. Silly me!

I think they're both ludicrous - I agree people will pay a premium for the stadium flats. And at least there it is an area where prices, having been kept down by proximity to the old stadium, will now float up a bit. But £295K is ridiculous, and I can't really see that people's desire to have a part of the myth will persuade them to pay such excessive prices a few years down the road.

And the ones by the stadium? The adverts promising guaranteed yields smack a bit of desperation - living right by the stadium has always been seen as a bad thing, thus the cheap (relatively) prices of the terraces round the old one in past years. I don't see why calling them executive flats suddenly makes that a bad thing. It's not like you have a view of the pitch or anything - just the noise and hassle and inconvenience on match day. I think they will sink at high speed. Apart from anything else if the developer can afford to guarantee your rent you should subtract the cost of that to them over the first few years to find out what even they think the flats are worth...

And the ones by the stadium? The adverts promising guaranteed yields smack a bit of desperation - living right by the stadium has always been seen as a bad thing, thus the cheap (relatively) prices of the terraces round the old one in past years.

Only because there is a football stadium there, which of course there wont be, once the development is built.

Edited by Milkshock

I came across an advert in the FT for flats within the Highbury stadium redevelopment.

Some pics

Would it let off some HPC steam to take pictures such as these and warlord them. If we cut out some pictures of chavs, drug pushers, and prostitutes from various net sources, draw graffiti using The Gimp (or similar), and add lots of "for sale" signs and repossession orders onto the fronts of doors we could get a good view of the future.

Billy Shears

Only because there is a football stadium there, which of course there wont be, once the development is built.

Sorry I was unclear - by "the ones by the stadium" I mean the Galliard Homes ones next to the new Emirates stadium, which is what I'm talking about in the second para.

The reason why the flats at the Stadium are selling at a premium price is because when the old ground at Highbury is turned into a building site the East and West Stands will remain as they have conservation orders on them. The most expensive flats wll be within these two stands. The North Bank and the Clock End will be demolished for complete redevelopment. I think the famous Clock will be saved for the new ground.

Arsenal will let me buy my seat for 20 quid. Is it worth it? Should I redevelop my seat and build a flat on it or should I sell it to a property developer?

The reason why the flats at the Stadium are selling at a premium price is because when the old ground at Highbury is turned into a building site the East and West Stands will remain as they have conservation orders on them. The most expensive flats wll be within these two stands. The North Bank and the Clock End will be demolished for complete redevelopment. I think the famous Clock will be saved for the new ground.

Arsenal will let me buy my seat for 20 quid. Is it worth it? Should I redevelop my seat and build a flat on it or should I sell it to a property developer?

Brilliant, I always wanted to live in a football stand. Hang on to that seat.